Community Volunteer Resume Examples
Community Volunteers engage in varying outreach activities and educating the community. Resumes for this position highlight such duties as assisting in keeping waterways healthy and free of debris and volunteering at local food pantries on an as-needed basis, such as with holiday meal deliveries, painting, and other miscellaneous tasks. While a formal educational background is not necessary to become a Community Volunteer, sample resumes show that some organizations may require applicants to participate in an orientation or training before starting in their new role.
Find out what is the best resume for you in our Ultimate Resume Format Guide.
The best examples from thousands of real-world resumes
Options For Listing Education On A Resume
Not sure how to list your college degree on your resume? How should you list your expected graduation date if you’re an undergraduate student? What if you didn’t go to college? How about if you’ve already graduated? Alternatively, what do you do if you haven’t yet graduated but intend to complete your degree at some point in time?
Even if you didn’t graduate, there are options for presenting your educational background in a positive manner. An entry-level resume will often present more educational or training information than would a resume for someone who has been in the workforce for many years.
If you dont have a lot of work experience to prove your skills and capabilities on the job, it can be important to list any relevant college coursework, even if you didnt graduate with a degree.
Here are a few options for including your education, as well as for mentioning credit you have earned for college-level work on your resume even though you didn’t graduate.
Should I Finish My Associates Degree Or Transfer
Completing an Associates Degree will save you time and money if the coursework is treated as a block. The credit hour costs at a community college are more than half the equivalent four-year colleges tuition rate you may transfer into, thus saving you real dollars you dont have to borrow or pay for or retake.
Recommended Reading: What Is A Good Typing Speed For Resume
Should You List Your Transfer Colleges On A Resume
When you’re trying to land a job, being truthful on your resume is a must — but that doesn’t mean you have to include every detail of your life. If you studied at more than one university, you’ll generally need to include only the institution from which you earned your degree. Still, there are some instances in which you might want to include transfer schools as well.
Tips For Writing A College Student Resume
Before you start writing, make sure you know how to write a resume in a way that best emphasizes your strengths.
The hardest resume youll write in your life will likely be your first. Whether youre entering the workforce or writing a grad school resume to continue your career in academia, writing a convincing resume without work experience is tough, especially now with the lasting economic impact of COVID-19.
Luckily, you can still put together an offer-worthy application without professional experience even if youre writing a college freshman resume.
First, here are some related resumes and cover letters to help you in case this page doesnt provide everything you need for your job hunt:
You May Like: How Far Back Do You Go On A Resume
Mention Community College On Resume
I go to a semi-target school, my GPA is 3.65. I transferred from a Community College in FL, and my GPA was 3.8. I am doing an internship at a mid-size investment bank, in the bond sales/trading desk. I am graduating in May and currently looking for jobs. Should I mention that I went to CC for two years on my resume? If not, what dates do I put for my current school, just September 2009 – May 2011?
Also, my major is Economics-Finance. If I take one course on the summer, I could complete a Global Studies minor. Is this minor worth it taking a course over the summer?
Do Community Colleges Accept Low Gpa
The sad truth is that your GPA is just a number, but it still carries a lot of weight behind it. A students GPA is a major factor for admissions counselors. Community colleges are simply more geared toward non-traditional students and students who arent quite ready for a four-year college, for whatever reason.
Also Check: How To Insert A Line In Word For Resume
You Recently Graduated From College:
Once you graduate from college and start searching for your first entry-level position, it’s assumed that you’ll remove any information that refers to your high school activities and focus on your new undergrad degree.
If you’re new to the workforce and your new degree is your best selling point, the education section will appear towards the top of your resume. After you have a few years of relevant experience under your belt, the education section gets shifted to the bottom of your resume, and your work history will get pushed farther up on the page.
Most Interesting College Essay Prompts
english media course workpopular mba admission essay helpprofessional annotated bibliography ghostwriters sites for mbafree essays on racism in americaage culture essay in market mass medieval middle popularap language sample essayswrite my poetry cvfunny resume walmartdevelopment management research paperresume of a fresh graduate nursing studentchange thesis footeressay about economy in u s aveuillez essayer de nouveau
Recommended Reading: Should You Include High School On Resume
How Do You Describe Volunteer Work On A Resume
It can be quite daunting to sum up your months or even years of community service into one or two lines.Remember that you need to make an impact in the readers mind with the experience bullet points. So, try listing your most prominent achievement as a part of the team.
Use hard figures if possible, and try to showcase exactly what you brought to the team and how you used yourself to benefit the organization and their projects. You dont need to list each and every achievement, only the most prominent ones.
Who Accepts Deac Credits
List of universities accredited by DEACAbraham Lincoln University, Los Angeles Allied American University, Laguna Beach American Business and Technology University, St. American College of Healthcare Sciences American InterContinental University, Atlanta American National University, Salem American Sentinel University, Aurora
Read Also: Should I Put My Photo On My Resume
What Counts As Community Service / Volunteer Work
As the term states, youre expected to help out the community through the services you provide. In a response to a job offer, you should be cautious and only list the volunteer experience if it is relevant.
But what exactly counts as volunteer work?
Here are some examples:
- Working at an animal shelter.
- Volunteering at a blood drive.
- Distributing food among the needy / disaster relief programs.
- At an elderly home, spending time with the elderly.
- Church volunteer work.
In the next section, we will look at the best way to list your volunteer work on resume.
Want to build the best resume for you in just a few clicks? Check out our resume templates to simplify your resume writing process.
Interviewing And Resume Quick Facts
INTERVIEWING QUICK FACTS
To ensure a successful interview, be sure to:
- Research the organization to learn about its product or services, competitors, and industry trends.
- Review the position duties and relate your experience to the requirements. If you dont have a thorough description, see ONet Online Resources and US Bureau of Labor and Statistics for occupational information.
- Practice responding to a variety of questions. See links below under Guidelines for Answering Common Interview Questions.
- Know the interview location and directions, considering travel and parking time.
On the Day of the Interview
- Arrive approximately 15 minutes early.
- Bring extra copies of your resume as well as a list of references.
Guidelines for Answering Common Interview Question
- Send thank you notes to all the interviewers.
- Debrief your answers to see areas for future improvement.
- Check your application status if you dont hear back after their expected decision date.
For More Information
RESUME QUICK FACTS
Types of Resumes
- Keep your resume short– one to two pages. .
- Sufficient white space in top, bottom and left and right margins.
- Do not include salary or personal information .
- Proofread! Never send out a resume with typos!
Resources for Resumes, Cover Letters & LinkedIn
Also Check: Honors Section Of Resume
What It May Include:
- Activities/hobbies, Awards or honors, Certification/ licenses, Community Service, Coursework or special projects
- Education/ formal training, Experience
- Heading , Interests, Internships or volunteer service, Objective, Professional Organizations
- Skills , Student aide or work study employment
- Summary , References Available Upon Request
How To Put Down Your Education In Your Resume
Now that you have an idea of where to put your education section, lets start with the basics.
In terms of structuring your education section, the general practice is to follow a reverse chronological order: list your latest educational entry first, and then go backwards from there.
Okay, but how far back should you go? Do you put your high school education in there as well?
Usually, if you have a relevant university degree, its not advisable to waste precious space on your resume by listing your high school education.
Now that weve got all of that out of the way, we can show you a general template of how to write down your education. You list the following features in this particular order:
- Name of degree : e.g. B.A. English Language and Culture, Minor in Teaching*
- Name of educational institution: e.g. University of Groningen
- Years attended: e.g. 2016 – 2019
- Location of the program : e.g. Groningen, the Netherlands
- GPA : e.g. 3,84. Keep in mind, though, that you only list education if its at an impressive scale . This shows determination and hard work on your part. If its lower, you might want to omit it altogether.
- Honors : e.g. Magna Cum Laude
- Courses that are relevant to the job : e.g. Modern Popular Literature track
- Exchange programs : e.g. Exchange Program in Oslo, Norway
* Possible ways to write down the same degree:
The full listing for this educational entry, then, is:
B.A. English Language and Culture, Minor in Teaching
University of Groningen
Don’t Miss: How Far Back To Go On A Resume
Q: How Do I List Education On My Resume
Should I keep old diplomas on my resume? What if I didn’t complete a degree?
When it comes to including the detail of your education on your resume , the diplomas you provide will depend upon your education history, your current level of experience, and your current job goals.
Below I’ve listed a few different scenarios and how I recommend treating your resume’s education section.
Provide Detail Whenever Possible
The details are what set a resume apart from a list of extracurriculars on a standard college application. For example, when describing your involvement in the French Club make sure to include:
- your role
- school years/hours per week you participated
- specific contributions
- leadership roles
- unique details that will make you stand out
Don’t Miss: Corvette Assembly Plant Tour
How To List Online Courses On Your Resume The Right Way
76 People Learned
Facts And Tips About Resumes
- Often the first impression left with an employer. A stellar resume is more likely to receive a call to schedule an interview. Include a cover letter as well to make your application even stronger.
- In order to capture the correct information, take time to brainstorm past education, experience, accomplishments, leadership, etc. and translate into terms that an employer can understand.
- Recruiters will most likely scan information the first time so the most important information needs to come first. The more space you devote to an item, the more important it should be.
- Every bullet under each experience needs to start with an action verb.
- Experience includes paid, unpaid and volunteer opportunities. You determine what on your resume will go under an experience heading.
- Do not substitute for networking. Jobs come through people, not paper!
- Typically should be one page, but those with a lot of relevant information, the resume may be longer never exceed 2 pages.
- Do not include height, weight, and salary desired.
- Omit religious/political/social affiliation unless you feel it is necessary to help you get the job.
- Proofread carefully. Save your resume frequently and have multiple people proofread prior to submission.
Don’t Miss: How To Put References On A Resume
Option : Describe Projects
Yet another possibility is to actually describe any course projects which are related to your target job. This can be a good approach for candidates who don’t possess much or any related work experience.
For example, a person who is aiming for a job with a focus on information technology might describe a programming project which involved the creation of a complex Excel database. If you received any recognition for the project, or an outstanding grade, you could also mention those.
Coursework in Information Technology
Casleton High School, Castleton, VAHigh School Diploma, May 2019GPA 3.9, Honor Roll Each Semester
How To List College Education On Your Resume
How you include education on your resume depends on when or if you have graduated. If you’re a college student or recent graduate, your college education is typically listed at the top of your resume. When you have work experience, the education section of your resume is listed below your employment history.
Also Check: How Much Employment History To Put On Resume
How Do You Put Community Service On A Resume
Community service or related volunteer work cant be pitched anywhere. You should list it in the work experience section of the resume if you have limited professional experience, are going through a career change, or had a professional break in the last few years.
If you are a student or a fresher, adding community service can convey to the hiring manager that you have desirable skills that you can bring to the table.
We prefer listing your experience of successful fundraising events in the form of bullet points where you can elaborate and draw attention to the work you did. You can also list your most notable experience here.
You’re Still Pursuing A College Degree :
If you’re still attending college for your undergraduate or graduate degree, you can simply add an expected graduation year to this information. I only recommend adding a list of a few courses you’ve completed if they’re higher-level courses i.e. beyond the basic 101 classes that are relevant to your job goals, and you don’t have a lot of relevant work experience to market on your resume.
Read Also: Typing Skill Resume
How Do I Prepare One
SPD Employer Services counselors assist you with this process. We also have resume guides for you. Additionally, many computer programs and employment Web sites have resume-writing templates that you can utilize. Emsi Data has a free Resume Optimizer that can help you to optimize your resume for the type of job you are applying for.
Create Your Resume In Minutes
You guessed right, your experience gained doing community service. This is not something thats found in the job description, its something you do beforehand to expand your skill set.
But how do you properly list your background in community service on resume? You cant just throw it in anywhere, since it needs to look professional. Dont worry, we have you covered.
You May Like: How Much Employment History To Put On Resume
Where To Position Education On Your Resume
So, should your education or experience come first in your resume?
Think of it this way:
The top third of the resume is reserved for your accomplishments that are most relevant to the job you are applying for.
So before you continue, ask yourself: Is your education your most relevant accomplishment?
The answer most of the time will be no. Work experience will be a more important requirement for just about any position above entry-level.
However, education can take priority in some particular cases.
Education comes first if youve just graduated from college and dont have relevant work experience to list. Imagine you are an employer and the first thing you see in someones resume when theyre applying for an entry-level marketing associate position is their summer job as a bodyguard at their local town pool.
Its also wise to list education before work experience if youve recently gotten back to school to get a degree thats relevant to your potential job.
For example, if youre switching to a career in sustainable energy after having finished a related program, but have work experience predominantly in engineering, you would want your new education to be the first thing the hiring manager sees.
Getting a fresh MSc, Ph.D., or MBA is another case where you would want to highlight those degrees more than the work experience.
Not sure if you need a CV or a resume? Check out our guide on CV vs Resume and learn whats the difference between the two .