What Does A Customer Service Representative Do
For those who get a genuine thrill out of delighting people, a customer service job can be quite fulfilling. As the title suggests, a customer service representatives primary objective is to assist customers, clients, or users with their needs, like finding a specific product, completing a purchase, or resolving a concern. Whats especially exciting about this field is the variety: You can interact with customers in person, over the phone, via chat, or even over social media! And virtually every industry needs customer support, so you can pursue a role in almost any field you likeretail, tech, finance, you name it.
While the specifics of each job vary from one company to the next, most customer service representatives will need to have a friendly, empathetic demeanor experience interacting with clients solid problem-solving skills the willingness to learn as much as they can about their employers products and services and a good deal of patience. They may also be required to track their interactions in a customer relationship management system, make adjustments to online accounts, or recommend new products and promotions to customers.
Use A Customer Service Resume Template
Right, time to fire-up your text editor and get typing!
But wait there.
Although great for creating simple files, there are better alternatives when creating a customer service resume.
You see, text editors dont hold its structure, which can result in layout breakages.
Want to avoid an afternoon of headache? Use a customer service resume template. You can tailor any of the following resume templates for a customer service specialist resume.
Ability To Use Positive Language
Effective customer service means having the ability to make minor changes in your conversational patterns. This can truly go a long way in creating happy customers.
Language is a crucial part of persuasion, and people create perceptions about you and your company based on the language that you use.
For example, lets say a customer contacts your team with an interest in a particular product, but that product happens to be back-ordered until next month.
Responding to questions with positive language can greatly affect how the customer hears the response:
Without positive language: I cant get you that product until next month it is back-ordered and unavailable at this time.
With positive language: That product will be available next month. I can place the order for you right now and make sure that it is sent to you as soon as it reaches our warehouse.
The first example isnt negative per se, but the tone it conveys feels abrupt and impersonal and could be taken the wrong way by customers especially in email support when the perception of written language can skew negative.
Conversely, the second example is stating the same thing , but it focuses on when and how the issue will be resolved instead of focusing on the negative.
Also Check: Awards And Acknowledgements To Put On Resume
What Should I Not Include On My Resume
There are a few things you shouldn’t include on your resumes, such as experience that is not relevant to the role you’re applying for or irrelevant skills. You also don’t need to include your hobbies and interests unless they are directly related to customer service. Finally, don’t forget to proofread your resume before you send it off.
What Else Can You Include
Ask yourself one question..
Is your resume the BEST it can be?
Although we have completed every essential resume section, we have to do everything it takes to win that interview.
Adding the following sections could be the deciding factor in whether youre interviewed for the customer service representative role or not.
Recommended Reading: Resume For Nanny Babysitter
Bilingual Customer Support Resume
Why this resume works
- Knowing another language automatically increases your chances of getting an interview! Your bilingual customer support resume should actively demonstrate how you’ve used your abilities to broaden the client base, improve customer satisfaction, and help the company stay relevant and competitive.
- Working as a bilingual customer support agent is a valuable asset that will set you apart from people who only speak one language. Your resume is hardly the place to be bashful about your achievements.
- Beyond your job experience bullet points, you can remind employers of your language abilities in the skills section and objective statement.
Putting The Focus On Focus
The term, “focus” means different things in different industries, so use examples and descriptions specific to the type of work you performed. Examples:
Proofreader:Detailed attention to formatting, grammar, style and typographical errors
Auto mechanic:Careful and detailed analysis of system readings and instrument calibration
Nurse:Strong attention to detail in charting, monitoring vital signs and ensuring continuum of care
Chef:Extreme care in safe food handling processes and food preparation
Accountant: Detailed oversight of line item budget analysis
Teacher:Individualized attention to the unique learning needs of each student
Don’t Miss: Interest To Put On A Resume
Research And Adapt To Your Future Employers
You cant change your experience and education, but you can sure adapt what you have to what your future employee is asking for. So before you start writing your resume take a careful look at what kind of company youre applying to, their values and goals and think how your profile matches the job opening. If youre applying to work in the finance sector, then maybe your student job in a warehouse might not be that important to emphasize in the resume. So put more emphasis on your characteristics and expereinces which are closer to what theyre searching for.
You can say something like this:
A Dedicated Customer Service Representative with over five years of front-office experience in the bank industry. Known for solving a wide range of customer issues with a high level of customer satisfaction. Trustworthy, reliable and consistent in providing optimal customer service.
Customer Service Resume Examples For 2022
When it comes to growing a business, reputation is everything. As the face of the organization, the customer service team is instrumental in building and maintaining that reputation.
To be a successful customer service manager or representative, you need to have a wide-ranging skill set.
You need to be patient, empathetic, a strong problem solver, and you need to know your company’s product or service inside and out.
You shouldn’t also have to be an expert at building a resume to convey this to employers.
We’ve analyzed over 500 customer service resumes and chosen the 5 best examples to help you land your next job in 2022.
We’ll also share our key findings from this analysis to help you put your best foot forward on your resume.
Why this resume works
- There is a lot of information contained in this resume. Yet, it doesn’t feel overwhelming or hard to read. Your job with your resume is to quickly make the case to the hiring manager that they’d be a fool not to invite you for an interview.
- The best way to do this is by making your points concise and highly relevant to the job you’re applying to. Notice this resume objective example is tailored for “AMP Corporation”. As a rule of thumb the more you customize your resume for each job application, the more likely you are to get an interview.
Read Also: Coursework Resume
How Do I List My Customer Service Skills On A Resume
To include customer service skills on a resume, there are two main formatting options:
Oftentimes, the best approach is to combine these two formatting options.
Including soft skills in your work experience section allows you to include greater context and explanation.
Comparatively, hard skills need less explanation and can benefit from being place in a separate section.
Here are two quick breakdowns for these formatting options:
Use Action Words To Make Your Customer Service Resume Pop
Lets image that youre a job recruiter.
Sitting down to read the same generic resumes, one after another.
No one stands out. In fact, all resumes are blending into one.
This exercise highlights the importance of making your resume different from the other applicants.
One of the best ways to do this is to use power words:
Don’t Miss: How Do I Post My Resume On Indeed
Customer Service Manager Resume
Why this resume works
- When you’re looking for your first role as a customer service manager your resume needs to demonstrate that you’ve taken on an increasing level of responsibility throughout your career. A great way to demonstrate ownership is through the use of action verbs like “managed,” “led,” and “oversaw”.
- Since you’ll be a people manager as a customer service manager, you should show that you have a track record of improving the performance of those you’ve managed in the past. You also want to show that you value your employees since this tends to lead to better team performance.
Social Media Specialist Resume
The work of a social media specialist includes coordinating a companys activity on social networks. You should be able to represent your company on social media since your role doubles as an online public relations officer. Working in this position requires you to be updated with information and trending topics, while at the same time you have to know the company and your products to the core. Your resume should also reflect your qualifications as well as writing and content editing skills, paying attention to details, good customer service orientation, and teamwork.
- A degree in marketing or communication is often required for this position. Other key skills you should include in your resume when applying for this position are:
- Ability to run social media campaigns and Google analytics
- Strategic planning and Community management skills
- Ability to prepare and schedule updates,
- Sharing relevant content or information about the company,
- Ability to keep in touch with fans and followers in real-time,
- Being able to encourage conversations with good communication skills,
- Ability to solve customer queries and resolve conflict
- Graphic design and photography skills
Picture 6. Social media buttons
Choose From 10+ Customizable Customer Care Professional Resume Templates
Zippia allows you to choose from different easy-to-use Customer Care Professional templates, and provides you with expert advice. Using the templates, you can rest assured that the structure and format of your Customer Care Professional resume is top notch. Choose a template with the colors, fonts & text sizes that are appropriate for your industry.
Best Customer Service Resume: Tips And Examples
Good customer service professionals are patient, caring, positive and attentive. A resume that reflects those skills gives you an advantage when applying for customer service jobs, from entry-level to management positions. In this article, we provide you with the best customer service resume tips and examples.
Read Also: How To List Typing Speed On Resume
Microsoft Office/google Docs Editors
Talking to customers makes up the majority of your work as a customer service rep. But what about the rest? Well, dealing with documents, reports, and presentations is a pretty safe bet.
Sooner or later, youll be asked to prepare some kind of a spreadsheet or a dashboard with your results. Or write a detailed onboarding plan for new junior employees. Or help with presenting your companys quarterly metrics.
The majority of businesses collect customer feedback by copy/pasting it into an Excel or Google Sheets file. Organizations tend to prefer Google Docs Editors because they make sharing documents easier.
Make sure to know how to create basic documents in:
- Google Docs
- Google Slides
Customer Success Manager Resume
Why this resume works
- If you’re writing your customer success manager resume, most likely, you’ve been working in the industry for 10+ years.
- You’ll want to demonstrate career progression: Highlight growth and development between your job responsibilities early in your career and at the height of your career where youre liking managing an entire team and a larger sum of assets and responsibilities.
Read Also: How To Include Languages In Resume
Customer Service Keywords For Your Resume
Trista Winnie has been writing and editing professionally for nearly a decade, primarily covering the job search, investing, engineering, and health. She earned her bachelors degree from Pacific Lutheran University and her masters degree from Gonzaga University. In her free time, she enjoys reading, cooking, and sports.
If youre a job seeker or career changer interested in seeing how you compare to your competition, consider browsing through resume examples. Seeing the resumes of people in roles similar to the ones youre after can provide you with insight about the strengths and weaknesses of your own resume.
You might find some skills you should brush up on, tools and technologies you could learn, or accomplishments to strive for. You might be inspired to find a way to sell yourself as ready for the next step. Resume examples can be a perfect launching point for a job search.
All that said, dont forget that an individual job posting is your primary source when filling out an application. You can demonstrate your ability to fulfill an employers needs by echoing relevant keywords from the job listing. Using the right resume keywords can get your resume noticednot just by an applicant tracking system, but ultimately by a human who can offer you an interview.
Resume examples can definitely be useful, but consider them a secondary source.
Best 20 Customer Service Resume Summary Samples You Can Apply
1. People oriented individual with attention to detail and a positive attitude. Seeking the position of Customer Service Associate at ABC coming with strong knowledge of CRM systems and practices, and 3+ years proven customer support experience.
2. Customer service professional with strong ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively. Interested in the position of Customer Service Representative at CBC, offering ability to handle high volume calls, active listening skills, and proven ability to resolve customer complaints in a professional manner.
3. Experienced service oriented individual with strong phone handling skills and ability to adapt to different personalities. Seeking a Customer Service Officer position at ABC Inc., coming with strong market knowledge and critical reasoning abilities to identify and assess customers need to achieve satisfaction.
4. Team player with people skills and a friendly positive attitude. Desire the Customer Service Advisor position at MVN Resources to apply exceptional product knowledge in automotive parts, ability to adapt to different personalities, and 2 years retail sales experience.
5. Experienced customer-oriented individual with strong work ethic, ability to escalate issues appropriately and BS degree. Interested in the Technical Customer Service position at XYZ Inc. where high technical aptitude for assimilating new technology and technical concepts, plus advance computer skills will be utilized.
Don’t Miss: Wpm Test For Resume
What To Include In A Customer Service Resume
The main sections in a customer service resume are:
- Work Experience
To really make an impression, you can also add these optional sections:
- Awards & Certification
- Interests & Hobbies
So those are the customer service resume sections, but what do you write for each of them?
Lets find out!
Want to know more about the different sections? View our guide on What to Put on a Resume.
Your Customer Service Resume Template
Fortunately, there is not one single template that your customer service resume has to follow. This means you can get a bit creative!
Instead, there are a few rules you should follow to maximize your chances of getting an initial interview.
We analyzed over 10,000 resumes to derive these must-follow resume rules:
- Unless you have a really compelling reason , keep your resume to one page. Hiring managers are busy!
- Use metrics to talk about the impact you had in your past roles in customer service. More on this below.
- Avoid any fancy graphics or images on your resume. Before a human reviews your resume, a computer will and they have trouble with images.
- Only include a resume objective or summary if you’re going to take the time to make an effective one .
- Don’t include references on your resume. Real estate is valuable since you’re striving to keep your resume to one page.
- Please, please, please don’t have any spelling or grammar errors. Triple check then have two friends check as well. This is a silly reason to get your resume put into the “no” pile.
Of these, the most important rule is that you should quantify the impact of your past work in customer service.
To illustrate the reason for this, let’s look at two ways to write the same sample work experience.
WRONG – no metrics
Successfully handled high volumes of customer inquiries with a high degree of customer satisfaction.
RIGHT – use numbers to describe impact
Recommended Reading: Resume Publication Format
How To Correctly Display Your Contact Information
You should treat your contact section with the same care that you treat your customers.
Failure to do so could result in misspellings and wrong numbers, which makes it impossible for the recruiter to offer you an interview!
- Professional Title Align this to the role youre applying for, so Customer Service Assistant
- Phone Number Check each number carefully
- Email Address Keep your email professional , unlike that one from your childhood .
- Location City+Country