Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Freelance Resume Writer
To do well at freelance resume writing, McRitchie advises, you should possess the following basic skill sets:
- Editing. This includes spelling and grammar, the ability to format a Word doc , and recognizing what looks good.
- Knowledge of what makes a resume effective. You dont have to make a resume perfect, but you do need to get and stay up-to-date on what works.
- Being a good listener. You need to understand what a client is looking for, what theyre pursuing, and where they are in their career progression. Listening intently and asking good probing questions based on their input will get a good result.
- Analytical ability. Being able to quickly identify areas of excellence and extract achievements that are memorable from each resume will help prevent it from ending up in the trash.
- Marketing skills. If you cant get paying clients, you wont get far. This is a business, so you need an entrepreneurial bent.
- Organization. As with any business, there are details you need to keep up on, whether thats invoicing and collections or tracking marketing and sales results.
- Adaptability. Ultimately, freelance resume writing is something you can get going fairly quickly if you have the right mindset and skills. As with any business, there is a learning curve, and you may find yourself and your business evolving along the way. Just go with it, and eventually youll look back and be shocked at how far youve come.
Ready to stop worrying about money?
Get the Penny Hoarder Daily
Resume Writer Job Description
What does a resume writer do on a day-to-day basis?
As you probably expect, resume writing itself is a big part of the job, but theres more to it than that. A freelance resume writer is responsible for optimizing all parts of a resume and will also need to dedicate at least some of their time to new client acquisition. Here are some of the tasks that you might find yourself doing if you pursue this career.
Invest In Your Resume Writing Business
As your cash flow builds, youll want to reinvest some of it into professional development. Luckily, they are events, conferences, webinars, teleconferences, online courses, books, membership sites, mastermind groups, and coaching sessions there is something to fit every budget and every niche. By investing in yourself and your business, you gain the knowledge, information, and skills to make your resume writing business a success.
Recommended Reading: Proficiency In Excel Resume
How Much Can You Make Writing Resumes
Just like with freelance jobs, the rate of pay can vary, depending on work experience.
When it comes to writing resumes for money, it all depends on the complexity of the resume.
For instance, someone who is looking to land a retail job may pay $50-$70 for a well-written resume while someone else may pay hundreds of dollars if theyre trying to get into a Fortune 500 company.
Resumes for entry-level positions tend to fall on the lower end of the payscale but executives resumes can put a lot more in your pocket.
However, according to Glassdoor, a resume writer can earn around $57,000/year.
How much you make will also depend upon your experience and skills.
As a beginner, you may want to stick to those entry-level resumes writing them will help you build up some experience as well as earn some positive testimonials from clients who experienced success because of your service.
As you gain experience and proof that you have what it takes to help people land jobs, you can start moving up in price and complexity of the resume.
However, even as you are starting out, you can leverage your resume writing service and increase your rates by offering a quick turnaround on your service. Some clients may be willing to pay top dollar to have their resume written that same day!
Create A Clear Education Section
If you lack professional experience but have a good track record in school , your education section should be highly detailed to highlight all of your education-related accomplishments.
On the other hand, if you possess more than a few years of professional experience, then its appropriate to keep your education section short and sweet.
Additionally, if youre a student or recent graduate, list your education section above the experience section of your resume. This way, you emphasize your most marketable qualifications at the top of the page.
Here are the main points to include in a standard education section:
- The names of your university, community college, or technical school
- Location of the schools
- Date of graduation
Additionally, include relevant coursework on your resume if youre a recent graduate and dont have much work experience yet.
Here are two examples demonstrating how to format your education section:
Read Also: What To Say When Emailing A Resume
Is Zety Resume Builder Free
Zety resume builder is free to create a resume. The app follows the try before you buy credoyou pay once youre satisfied with the results. Downloading a printable resume as a pdf or MS Word .doc file from Zety costs just 2.99 USD for two week access. Pricing may vary depending on the plan and subscription.
Step : Open A Business Bank Account & Credit Card
Using dedicated business banking and credit accounts is essential for personal asset protection.
When your personal and business accounts are mixed, your personal assets are at risk in the event your business is sued. In business law, this is referred to as piercing your corporate veil.
Additionally, learning how to build business credit can help you get and other financing in your business’s name , better interest rates, higher lines of credit, and more.
Open a business bank account
Besides being a requirement when applying for business loans, opening a business bank account:
- Makes accounting and tax filing easier.
Recommended: Read our Best Banks for Small Business review to find the best national bank or credit union.
Open net 30 accounts
Net 30 accounts are used to establish and build business credit as well as increase business cash flow. With a net 30 account, businesses buy goods and repay the full balance within a 30-day term.
NetMany net 30 credit vendors report to the major business credit bureaus . This is how businesses build business credit so they can qualify for credit cards and other lines of credit.
Recommended: Read our best net 30 vendors, guide and start building business credit.
Get a business credit card
Getting a business credit card helps you:
- Build your company’s credit history, which can be useful to raise money later on.
Recommended: Apply for an easy approval business credit card from Divvy and build your business credit quickly.
You May Like: How To Express Promotion On Resume
What Is A Resume Builder
A resume builder is an online app or piece of software that provides users with interactive forms and templates that focus on resumes. The best applications of this type provide tips and suggestions to help you provide employers with the right kind of information. For example, the Zety resume builder features ready-made content tailored to the needs of specific job seekers. This makes wording each section easier in terms of communicating your value as an employee.
You Control Your Data
Don’t Miss: Interest To Put On A Resume
Topresume Review Best Overall
Read the full Careercloud TopResume Review.
TopResumedelivers sound resumes for workers of all backgrounds and it lets you try the service for free by requesting a free expert resume review. This is a rare offering from a professional resume writing company and it can give you a sense of how much assistance you need. That can guide you toward which of the company’s three resume writing packages are the best fit for you. It builds its packages around the types of services it offers rather than your career level, as many other professional resume writing companies do. This shouldn’t affect most consumers, but higher-ups may prefer a company with more experience handling executive resumes.
Where It Excels
TopResume offers several resume writing solutions targeted at people of all skill levels and budgets. Start with its free resume review service by uploading your current resume to the site. Unlike many other online resume building resources, TopResume’s tool doesn’t just give you cliche feedback based on a computer formula. Instead, one of its real resume writing experts will look over it and give you personalized feedback within two business days. This is a great way to decide if the service is right for you before committing any money.
Where It Falls Short
- Professional Growth Resume Service: $149
- Career Evolution Resume Service: $219
- Executive Priority Resume Service: $349
Step : Plan Your Business
A clear plan is essential for success as an entrepreneur. It will help you map out the specifics of your business and discover some unknowns. A few important topics to consider are:
Luckily we have done a lot of this research for you.
What are the costs involved in opening a resume writing business?
Most professional resume writers counsel would-be writers to start small by working from home. All youll need is a computer and a phone to start offering services, but you also need a way to get the word out that you’re open for business. Buying a domain name, setting up a website, and establishing social media pages can be as low as $20. You can meet clients at a coffee shop if you want face-to-face time without renting office space. You may need a small business license, depending on your state, how much you make, and how many hours you work. If you choose to have office space, you’ll need to factor in rent or leasing costs. All in all, startup costs can be under $50.
What are the ongoing expenses for a resume writing business?
Ongoing expenses for a resume writing list will be fairly low:
- Computer maintenance
- Ongoing education in resume building
Who is the target market?
How does a resume writing business make money?
Resume writers charge a fee for their efforts, which typically includes all services. In other words, there isnt a separate fee for the interview, the editing process, etc. Fees should account for both the time and the level of skill of the writer.
Also Check: How To Put Courses On Resume
What To Leave Out
Now that weve covered the details of what to include in your resume, lets take a quick look at a few things you should leave out.
- References.You may need to provide references later in the hiring process, but the resume is not the appropriate place for that.
- . Including a picture can be viewed as unprofessional. Additionally, HR reps are usually very careful to avoid any hint of discrimination, so they typically do not want photos on a resume.
- Unprofessional email address.The email address listed on your resume should be simple but professional. Its fine to use free services like Gmail but dont include words or phrases that feel unprofessional. Create a new email address if you need to your name is best.
- Unrelated hobbies. Everything listed on your resume should be relevant to the job youre applying for. Relevant hobbies that provide you with valuable experience are OK to mention, but dont include them if the hobby is unrelated to the job.
Where To Find Resume Writing Jobs For Beginners
Now that you know what is resume writing, its time to look at where to find these resume writing jobs!
Keep in mind that, as you gain more experience as a content writer, you can start applying for sites that specialize in resume writing services.
For now, check out these places to find professional resume writers jobs when youre just starting out.
You May Like: What Your Resume Should Look Like In 2020
How Much Does A Resume Writing Service Cost
The price of having a resume written from scratch or rewritten varies. The lowest price we paid was $119, and the highest price we saw was $649. Youll find resume writing services that will charge less and some that will charge more. The resume writing service that did the best job for us charged $399, mostly because of the resume they produced but also because it provided us with a cover letter as well.
Don’t Underestimate The Importance Of Quality Work And Great Customer Service
Customers “learn who you are” through your quality of work, Lambert says. So, it’s important to “consistently deliver.”
“How are you going to be promoted on ? By doing great work and delivering great customer service,” he says.
Part of this is communicating honestly with your customer, Lambert says, especially if you will be late on a deadline or are overwhelmed with inquiries.
“There are times where I’ve had a very late night or a lot of work has come in, and I will be honest with the customers and say, ‘Look, I would love to have a couple more hours in the morning to finalize your documents so I can do it with fresh eyes to make sure that the quality is there,'” he says.
“They are very understanding,” he says.
High quality work will also help grow your business through word of mouth. When “you deliver good work, someone gets a job, and they’re going to tell their whole family about it. Then, their whole family’s going to come and find you,” Lambert says.
You May Like: How To Insert Line In Word For Resume
How To Make Money As A Cv Writer Online: 5 Websites That Pay
Do you consider yourself an expert in writing CVs and Resumes? If yes, then you can put your skills to use and make money as a CV writer. If you work full-time, you can easily earn around $4000 to $5000 writing Resumes.
CV writing allows you to earn at much higher rates than other writing jobs in the freelance industry with an average of $23.96 per hour. These jobs are easily available online, and many of the leading freelance platforms offer high-paying jobs for this particular skill. You can also work part-time and still get a hefty pay check at the end of the month.
In this guide, we discuss the most popular platforms and websites for CV writing jobs. Whether you are looking for a side hustle or someone working towards independent work, these platforms are a great way to give you a kickstart on your freelance journey.
Summary Of Moneys Guide On How To Write A Resume
- Research the company youre applying to. This can help you identify the skills the company considers most valuable.
- Tailor your resume for each application.
- Include your personal information at the top of your resume in a slightly bigger font.
- Write a compelling resume summary in three to four sentences describing your professional experience. If possible include quantifiable accomplishments.
- List relevant work experience. Use action verbs to describe responsibilities and achievements.
- List your education. Include relevant certifications, awards or training you have.
- List relevant hard and soft skills, especially any industry-specific skills the employer mentions in the job description.
- If you have enough room in the resume, add other relevant sections, such as personal interests, personal projects or affiliations that might be of interest to that employer.
- Adding a cover letter can help you make a good first impression, and lets you elaborate on your experience.
- Proofread your information before sending your resume if possible, have a few friends or family members read it over first.
Recommended Reading: How To Upload A Resume On Indeed
What To Include In Your Resume
An effective resume lays out a summary of qualifications that will push the hiring manager or employer to move forward and invite you to interview for the position.
For many people, it can be helpful to sit down with a pen and paper, or a blank Word or Google document, and jot down their work history from start to finish. Of course, if you have been in the workforce for many years, this is not going to be time-efficient, so you may choose to focus on your most prominent and relevant positions.
No matter your approach, your goal will be to produce a chronological list of experience that is relevant to the jobs youre applying to.
Required and Optional Resume Sections. As well as details on skills, education, and work history, resumes can also have optional sections, such as an objective, summary statement, skills, or career highlights. Those sections can be added after youve compiled all the factual information you need to list on your resume.
List the Details. Make sure to include the name of the company, its location, dates of employment, and several bullet points describing your role and responsibilities for each position you list. Although you may need to expand on the bullet points later on, youll need this information at the minimum.
Match Your Resume to the Job. Be sure to match those accomplishments to the criteria the employer is seeking in the job posting.
Review Your Job Descriptions. Review the descriptions you’ve written for each job you’ve held:
What Should A Resume Include For A Job Search
Generally a professional resume starts with your name and contact details, followed by a summary statement. After that make sure the resume writer also lists keywords that apply to your industry . Follow that with work experience , making sure to list key accomplishments. Only list relevant jobs over the last 10 years. Then add your education, any relevant training or certifications and additional information .
Recommended Reading: How To Do A Vertical Line In Word For Resume