Determine The Relevance Of Your Bilingual Skills To The Position
Review the job posting to learn if the position requires bilingual skills. If it mentions that the company prefers candidates proficient in a language you speak, you can list this skill near the top of your resume. If you don’t see any preference or job description mentioning the need for candidates with bilingual skills, you can list it near the bottom of your resume in your skills section or in a section of its own. You can also list your bilingual skills in multiple sections throughout your resume, if desired.
Second Gauge Your Proficiency
When listing language skills on your resume, you need to include the general level of your ability. It can be beneficial to take a language proficiency test to accurately describe your bilingual abilities on your resume. Unless this skill is essential to the job, limiting the description of your proficiency level to one or two words will suffice. The specific proficiency levels can be worded or categorized differently depending on the resource. Still, some primary levels are commonly used for resumes.
Examples of proficiency levels:
- Beginner. Sometimes referred to as an elementary or basic proficiency, this skill level indicates a limited vocabulary and basic understanding. Its best to refrain from listing a language on your resume if you have only a beginner proficiency level.
- Intermediate. You can have basic interactions at an intermediate level of proficiency but still struggle with making syntax and grammatical errors.
- Proficient/fluent. Those who are proficient in a language possess a high level of skill but speak the language less easily than a native speaker.
- Native. Native speakers have mastered a language in all areas, including speaking, writing, and reading.
Prove Your Bilingual Abilities Through Employment History
If you already had a bilingual working experience, the fact that you actually had one isnt enough for the recruiter to do justice to your employment experience. Try to use common resume writing strategies to bring your bilingual resume bullets upfront.
For instance, if you used to be a sales professional specializing in food from German, you can say that in constant communication with German-speaking salespersons from this country, you managed to negotiate better deals and lower down prices on several products.
Dont hesitate to provide specific numbers and percentages of your sales increase to avoid vague claims. Besides, try not to include irrelevant positions if you already have several years of professional bilingual job experience behind your back.
Also, if youve been unemployed for a while, make sure you can explain the gaps in your employment history. However, no need to feel pressured as the psychological impact of unemployment can lead to serious health issues.
You May Like: Cabin Crew Resume
When To Include Language Skills On A Resume
As you prepare a new resume for an employer, consider how the additional languages you speak will apply to the business. If they are listed as a job requirement for the position, then highlight your language skills prominently on your resume. Even if not required, you can always list languages in the skills section of your resume.
If language requirements are not explicitly listed in the job description, research the company location and where they conduct business internationally. For example, a business that works with Chinese agencies might benefit from someone familiar with Mandarin and Chinese cultural customs. If the role involves working with members of the public, language skills are beneficial to include on your resume.
Are You Really Bilingual Heres What You Should Put On Your Cv
If you are based in the UK and speak English as well as the language of your native country, you are in a fantastic position to land one of the many bilingual jobs here in the UK. Bilingual speakers are in exceptionally high demand from a broad range of sectors at the moment and that doesnt look set to change anytime soon.
Multiple studies have been conducted over the years that show speaking more than one language translates into a big earnings boost. Thats fantastic news for job seekers looking for their first or next bilingual role. But wait, before we start extolling the virtues of bilingual jobs, theres one question that remains surprisingly difficult to answer
Are you really bilingual?
The term bilingual means different things to different people. Even the dictionaries cant agree on a single definition.
From Dictionary.com we have:
The ability to speak two languages with the facility of a native speaker.
While the Cambridge English Dictionary defines it as:
A person who is able to use two languages equally well.
That begs the question: can anyone speak two languages equally well? Language proficiency is measured in terms of an individuals speaking, reading, writing and listening abilities in each language. If pushed, very few people would say they can do all of these things equally well in a second language as they can in their native tongue.
So what should you put on your CV?
Proving your language skills to prospective employers
Recommended Reading: How To Put Community Service On Resume
How Do I Describe My Language Skill Level
Looking at language skill levels, more questions than answers appear:
- Does proficient and fluent mean one and the same thing?
- When should I write one or the other?
- Will they understand that I can read and write if Im at an intermediate level?
Well start by understanding what the different language levels mean.
Why Is It Important To Add Language Skills In Cv
As a job seeker, you want to inform potential employers about your level of language proficiency for several important reasons:
- Your language skills are needed in the job
- You want to make yourself a more desirable candidate
- You want to show that youre a quick learner
- Your knowledge can be an asset to the companys future growth
When you add language skill levels on CV, their relevancy must be evident to the recruiter. Your goal is to show that you can add value to the company as a future bilingual or multilingual employee. These are good skills to have on a resume because they show you hold the ability to communicate more effectively in contexts when other people would find obstacles – according to Charles Vallena, CEO for Cuppabean. In business terms, this means better contacts and relations and thus better opportunities in a globalized world.
Also Check: How To Write Basic Knowledge In Resume
Education On A Bilingual Resume
Make sure to make education a priority on your bilingual resume.If youve been working for a few years and have a few solid positions to show, put your education after your bilingual experience.For example, if you have a Ph.D in Neuroscience and a Master’s in the same sphere, just list your Ph.D. Besides the doctorate, Masters degrees go next, followed by Bachelors and finally, Associates degree.
Additional details to include:
- Year of graduation
- Location of school
These are the four additional pieces of information you should mention when listing your education on your resume.
Skills For Bilingual Client Services Representative Resume
- Significant experience implementing ELL effective instructional practices, designing engaging lessons, using data and formative assessment in the classroom
- 6+ months of previous experience working within a Skilled Nursing Facility or working with the Geriatric population
- Strong focus on delivering results while managing and prioritizing multiple projects & candidates
- Effectively manage incoming communication via phone and email using a CRM tool
- Experience building strong working relationships with others inside and/or outside the organization
- Experience adjusting to shifting priorities and continuous changes in a work environment
- Strong marketing, public relations, corporate governance, and grant writing experience, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
- Possess verbal, reading and writing skills
- Well-developed interpersonal, organizational, analytical, decision-making, negotiation, problem- solving and verbal and written communication skills
Also Check: How Many References On Resume
Do Bilingual Students Do Better In School
In studies covering six states and 37 districts, they have found that, compared with students in English-only classrooms or in one-way immersion, dual-language students have somewhat higher test scores and also seem to be happier in school. Attendance is better, behavioral problems fewer, parent involvement higher.
When To Add Bilingual Skills To A Resume
The ability to speak more than one language can help position people as strong candidates for job openings. Highlighting any bilingual skills within your resume can help employers understand how those skills could be useful within their own organization. Reviewing sample resumes and understanding the many places you could put bilingual skills on your resume can help you highlight your own language skills for potential employers.
In this article, we discuss when you should add bilingual skills to your resume, the steps you should take to highlight language skills within your resume and we offer a resume template and example to show you where you can put bilingual skills on your resume.
Recommended Reading: Related Coursework On Resume Example
Proofread Before Sending Your Resume
If you got your work done, dont forget to review both documents a few times before sending them away. No grammar or spelling errors are acceptable the recruiter easily identifies them. Look through the content.
Does everything match logically and appealing? Give the documents for a review to another person. What does he say? Finally, as our expert resume writers always say: Dont be afraid to make a follow-up call to the employer several days after the submission to ensure the application had been delivered!
Experience For Bilingual Service Representative Resume
- Related or accounting experience in a manufacturing environment required
- Previous accounting experience in a manufacturing organization
- Evidence of your instructions outstanding added value to all students learning
- Continually operate a computer via a keyboard and mouse in order to answer incoming calls
- Establish effective accounting operation flow and manage all the processes for the company
Recommended Reading: How To Make An Actor Resume
List Your Language Skills Accurately
It may be tempting if you have just a smattering of French or Spanish to slap it on your resume and hope no one at your employer questions you too hard. This is worse than not mentioning it at all if you must unexpectedly use the language on the job.
Even if you dont mean to deceive, you may still have an inaccurate description of your skills on your resume. Dont throw around terms like fluent or conversational without knowing exactly what they mean. One persons conversational Spanish may be anothers barely intelligible Spanish.
The Language Is Totally Irrelevant To The Industry
If knowing a certain language has nothing to do with the industry for which you’re applying, the chances are that hiring managers and recruiters won’t care too much about your language skills. While people may find it impressive that you can speak another language, they may not understand why you put it on your resume when that space could have been better utilized emphasizing other, relevant skills.
Also Check: What To Put In Subject Line When Sending Resume
Responsibilities For Bilingual Collector Resume
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple projects and to work independently or in a team
- A rare competitive fire and desire to win. Self-motivated, self-directed, and with strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Elite Spanish-language writing and grammar skills including ability to translate written English to Spanish and written Spanish to English
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to plan and implement classroom based activities to improve oral and written language skills of students
- Prior Experience in office environment
- Work independently and effectively on a broad variety of recruitment projects
- General HR experience or experience within specific functional area
- Bilingual skills in Mandarin or Cantonese & English
- Retail, financial sales OR call/contact center experience 3+ years of US Military service and 1 year Contact Center Inbound CCR experience
Skills For Bilingual Collector Resume
- Organizational skills sufficient to prioritize routine daily workload for team and self
- Organizational and self-motivational skills along with the ability to prioritize and deal with a variety of task/files
- Excellent editing and post production skills, preferably on Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere Pro
- + Excellent interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Word, Excel, Power Point & Outlook skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with strong excel, word, and outlook skills
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office, Google, with strong data entry skills
- Proven ability to effectively recruit for non-exempt & exempt level positons
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks at one time
Recommended Reading: Actor Resume With No Experience
Add Language Skills To The Summary Or Objective Statement
There are several different places you could highlight your bilingual skills on your resume. If the position calls for language skills, you may want to include them in your resume summary or objective at the top of your resume. Because this is essentially an introduction, it’s a good place to first mention being bilingual.
How To Make A Great Resume Objective For A Bilingual Position
To write an exceptional bilingual resume objective, you should center on what makes you a unique candidate for the position.
It should clearly state the languages you speak and other skills that are relevant to the employer.
The skills and languages that are relevant for success on the bilingual job will be published on the job description by the recruiter.
To write an effective objective statement for your bilingual resume, you need to study the job description to understand the qualifications for securing the job.
You will then highlight the required qualifications in your objective statement.
Your chances of being selected for the bilingual position are higher if you can show to the hiring manager that you can speak the required languages fluently and also have the skills and experiences valuable for success on the job.
Now, let us see some good examples of career objective statements for bilingual resumes to learn how you can create yours:
Also Check: How Many References Should I Have On Resume
Do Not Lie On Your Resume About Your Language Ability
Dont include language skills in a resume if you dont have them! If the required language is important for the job youre applying for, the interview or at least part of it is likely to be in that language. It could be incredibly awkward and embarrassing!
Even if you were to get away with it at the interview stage, you would be expected to be able to speak the language when you start the job. Once they discover that you cant and that you lied on your resume, you could be sacked.
Secondly, if it is not an important element for the job, it wont help your resume to stand out so it wouldnt be of any help to you. Dont lie on your resume!
If you have limited experience it can be tempting to lie. Dont. Knowing how to write an entry-level resume will help you to highlight your strengths and get to the interview stage.
How To List Bilingual Skills On Your Resume
Depending on the role’s responsibilities, you should list your bilingual skills in a section of your resume that is noticeable to hiring managers and proves your qualifications for the position. Follow these steps to list your language skills on your resume:
You May Like: How To List Gpa On Resume
What Are Resume Language Skills
Language skills are the additional languages you are proficient in besides the language your resume is written in. If you are applying for a job in the U.S., your resume will most likely be in English, which will show your comprehension of American English. The language skills on your resume could include any other languages in which you have intermediate, advanced, proficient or native comprehension abilities.
Which Language App Is Best
Best language learning apps of 2020Best for an online school-type experience. Babbel. See at Babbel.Best for helping you remember specific phrases. Mondly. See at Mondly.Best for learning multiple languages. Duolingo. See at Duolingo.Best for learning to speak casually in a new language. Memrise. See at Memrise.Best for goal-oriented users. Busuu. See at Busuu.
Don’t Miss: How To Put Ged On Resume
Saying Youre Fluent In Another Language To Impress The Hiring Manager
If you took four years of Spanish in high school and went abroad one summer to help people in need, thats great. However, if youre not 100% fluent, be careful about listing that language in the Additional Skills section of your resume. Especially when youre applying for a job that requires fluency in a particular language.
Im not bilingual, so I didnt understand just how seriously hiring managers take fluency in another language until I became a recruiter. While itll vary from interview to interview, remember that hiring managers can test your ability to speak another language if you say you speak it.
In a number of interviews Ive been in, weve asked someone on the team whos fluent in a particular language to converse with a candidate. If someone wasnt up to snuff, we figured it out pretty quickly. So, unless youre super confident in how well you speak a particular language , be as clear as possible about your actual skill level on your resume. Even if that means adding words like, basic understanding of.
Is Being Bilingual A Talent
While being bilingual may not directly benefit you all of the time, being able to help others with your talents when you can should be a huge advantage in itself. Basically, when it comes to learning a new language, there are so many advantages that its hard to not be bilingual in this day and age.
Don’t Miss: What Does A Thumbs Up Mean On Ziprecruiter