Focus On The Key Accomplishments
You need to customize your resume for each job application, so dont simply include the accomplishments which you think are the most impressive. Read through each job description and think about what the employer is looking for.
Use the keywords in the job posting to identify the most important job requirements. Then think about which of your accomplishments demonstrate these abilities and match them together. Include your achievements which are most relevant to the position youre applying for.
Using a resume template is the most time-effective way of tailoring your resume for each position.
+ Achievements To List On Your Resume
Listing achievements is what differentiates the top candidates from the rest.
See, most job-seekers only talk about their responsibilities and day-to-day tasks.
But thats not whats going to make you stand out.
The hiring manager knows EXACTLY what responsibilities you have for your profession. After all, theyre the one that wrote your job description!
Instead, to really get ahead of the competition, you should talk about your achievements and greatest accomplishments.
This way, your resume is focused on how you stand out and not on what your job title is.
This guide will cover:
- How to list achievements on your resume
- Where to mention your achievements
- 101+ achievements to you can use
What Are Good Accomplishments For A Resume
The best accomplishments to put on your resume are work accomplishments, especially those that are relevant to the jobs youre pursuing now. Your work accomplishment examples should demonstrate to a hiring manager that your past work prepared you to step into their job and succeed now.
Always review the duties and responsibilities on the job description and then think about which of your achievements relate to that type of job. Thats what you should emphasize on your resume.
Also, hiring managers will view your accomplishments and work experience as more relevant/significant if you performed them somewhat recently. So your resume should include more achievements that occurred in your two or three most recent positions.
For example, for your most recent role, you may want to include eight to ten bullet points. For the next role, maybe only six or seven. After that, for older positions, you may want to include even fewer.
Recommended Reading: What To Put On Resume If No Experience
Resume Accomplishments Vs Responsibilities
Resume achievements are accomplishment-oriented and not responsibility-oriented.
While making a resume, one makes the common mistake of including a list of responsibilities/duties in all their stints without any context. This list is vague and it does not grab the recruiter’s attention.
What recruiters or the ATS scans your contributions they focus on:
- initiatives that you may have taken
- values you may have added
- projects you spearheaded
- teams you led
Such accomplishment on resume examples showcase how you may have impacted an organization positively in your role.
Duties or responsibilities do not say anything about our candidature either.
Many candidates could have similar work experiences and similar responsibilities. However, focusing on awards in resume will set you apart.
The following factors should help you on how to list achievements on resume:
- known for something special in your department/company
- received praise or recognition from your supervisor or colleagues
- received recommendations from your clients
- selected for projects or task forces
- participated in solving a challenging assignment to improve functions
To find a sample list of achievements for resume you may check out our resume samples, or try making your resume on Hiration’s online resume builder.
Career Summary & Objective Examples
Recruiters have hundreds of resumes and not a lot of time to read them. Keep your career summary/objective punchy and concise. Put the most important info at the beginning to grab their attention. Recruiters want to see instantly youre able to multitask and keep a facility clean and orderly.
Summary example 1
Reliable building cleaner with 7+ years experience, experience in light and heavy cleaning. Looking to provide Building Cleaner superiority at Mammoth High School. Kearny High School was applauded 5x by the principal for perfect attendance. Achieved 98% favorable ratings from staff and teachers.
Summary example 2
9+ years experience in the sanitation and cleaning industry. Capable of performing a large range of dusting and housekeeping activities. Skilled in mixing chemicals safely. Highly proficient in inventory management and stock supplies.
Summary example 3
Eleven years experience in the service industry offering cleaning and Building Cleaner services for schools, offices, residences, and hospitals. Looking to land a position in the Building Cleaner and maintenance department of MC Bridges Mall and Retailers. Qualified in carpet cleaning, knows how to mix and handle industrial cleaning compounds safely. Finished numerous courses in HVAC.
Summary example 4
Don’t Miss: How To Write Cpr Certification On Resume
Tips For Writing Industry
When providing industry-specific accomplishments on a resume, it is important to consider how the achievement can relate back to the needs of the employer.
For instance, a job applicant applying to a company looking for a marketing professional to help them extend their online reach.
Here is an example of how that job applicant might frame their accomplishments:
Incorrect: Provided a year-long marketing strategy for the company.
Correct: Implemented a 12-month marketing strategy that improved the companyâs online sale conversion rate by 45 percent.
Sample Resume Accomplishments For Administrative Assistants:
- Administrative assistant to 12-person digital marketing team responsible for driving $1.9 million in annual revenue and an average of 180 new business leads per month
- Administrative assistant to a team of 10 Account Managers, overseeing $109 million in client accounts and growing 19% in 2020
- Promoted from Administrative Assistant to Senior Administrative Assistant due to consistent above-average performance and recognized as a rising star in 2020, an award given to just 2% of new employees
- Spearheaded a record-keeping process reorganization that led to a 20% time savings across the administrative team in Q4 2020
- Scheduled and coordinated meetings and travel arrangements for 11 managers and supervisors with 100% accuracy
- Trained two administrative assistants during a period of company expansion to ensure attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Implemented new document filing and organizational procedure resulting in a $9,200 annual savings in contracted labor costs
Note that you can vary how you begin each resume bullet. While many of your bullets should begin with verbs like, Spearheaded, you can also start others with a job title, like Administrative Assistant. You can see this in the first two examples in the list of bullets above.
You May Like: How To List Own Business On Resume
Examples Of Quantitative Accomplishment Statements:
- Reconciled end-of-day receipts with cash and credit transactions to account for daily sales averaging $1,500.
- Researched and wrote feature articles for UMass Global Speaks, a biweekly student newspaper with a readership of over 11,000.
- Handled late accounts effectively, securing $5,000 in past-due accounts.
- Gained a reputation for working well on a team, receiving a Team Player award.
- Raised more than $10,000 at annual fundraiser, increasing attendance and media coverage from previous years.
- Maintained internet site as it grew to 2,000-plus stages and images that generated 200 hits daily.
- Awarded Sales Associate of the Month in September 2018.
Human Resources Achievements For Your Resume
Human resources assistantachievement example: Introduced a mobile comms strategy that resulted in 23% less time being spent in meetings.
Human resources manager resumeaccomplishment: Led the adoption effort for a company-wide CRM and employee happiness management system for 400 employees that included task management, sick leave and vacations.
Recruiter achievement for a resume: Was part of the recruitment team for a large software development company, successfully negotiated 30 junior developers and 25 senior developers into the interview stages, with a hiring rate of over 65%.
Read Also: How Much To Write A Resume
Know The Difference Between A Duty And An Achievement
Whitfield says the most common mistake she sees people making on their resume is listing the duties they had in previous jobs, rather than describing their achievements in those roles. They write about what they did, not what they achieved, she says.
Youll know youve done this if you use phrases like responsible for or duties included. Duties dont tell the full story of your impact in your job, and thats exactly what you need to do if youre going to spark the interest of employers and hiring managers.
Your resume must tell a story, Whitfield says. How did what youve done lead you to the right combination of skills, experience and education for the job you want? What can you do for the company that no one else does?
How To Write Achievements In Resume
Most job-seekers underestimate the importance of writing professional accomplishments on a resume. Meanwhile, its the accomplishments that distinguish a great resume from a mediocre one. Not only they show your commercial value, but also communicate that you are result-oriented and give a glimpse of what you can accomplish for an employer if hired.
Concentrating the resume on accomplishments rather than on typical duties for the role will give you a competitive edge over other applicants. However, simply adding figures or mentioning that you met expectations is not enough for writing achievements efficiently. Today, our team of the best online resume writers is going to share the professional secrets so you could list your accomplishments in the way that captivates the attention of a hiring person.
Dont have time to learn resume writing rules? Get your resume written by an experienced writer of Resumeperk.com. Our professionals have the expertise in creating achievement-driven resumes and will help to present your background on paper efficiently. We will also work on the writing style, keywords and design to maximize your chances for an interview.
Recommended Reading: How To Put Magna Cum Laude On Resume
Types Of Accomplishments And Data To Include:
Numbers paint a clearer picture and grab the readers attention on your resume, so include some of these:
- Dollar amounts
- Percent increases or decreases
- Number of people
- Time periods
- Awards you have received and achievements you have accomplished
You may need to ask colleagues and coworkers for ideas or do some research to quantify everything, but the more you can assign specific numbers and results to specific job tasks on your resume, the better.
This article has examples of good power words and verbs for a resume to help you start brainstorming. It also explains why you never want to start bullets with, Responsible for
You Should Quantify Your Achievements
Another important thing is to focus on quantifying those results. You want to use figures because they add more context to your accomplishments. Look at the examples below and think which one sounds more impressive:
Ive been recognized by my colleagues as a great customer service person.
Ive been awarded the customer service person of the month award for three months in a row by my employers.
You probably agree the latter example is much more powerful. It illustrates the accomplishment clearer not only do you mention theres an actual award for it , but you also highlight youve not just done it twice but THREE times.
When you are looking at your chosen achievements, ask yourself:
- Have I received an award or a concrete promotion due to my actions? For example, the Employee of the Month award.
- Can I illustrate those achievements with figures, such as percentages or monetary amounts? For instance, improving sales by 10%.
- Have I done things ahead of time and received praise for it? For example, finishing a project three weeks in advance.
Of course, you wont always be able to quantify everything you have done. You shouldnt pluck numbers from thin air here. If the accomplishment is appropriate and relevant in all other ways, then you should include it on your list without forcing a figure into it.
Read Also: Bld Zety Resume
Creating A Separate Section For Awards And Honors
Finally, you should work to highlight these career achievements in a separate awards section. This will enable you to make sure that these high-points are seen by the hiring manager. This also provides an opportunity for you to develop some consistency in how the information is presented. For each of these achievements, include:
The type of award, honor, or achievement â and when you received it
What it recognizes
Why it was important, and what you did to achieve it
Whether it was a school, city, regional, or national award or honor
For example, suppose that you were honored for your work as a student journalist on campus:
2017 Student Journalist of the Year
Given in recognition of outstanding contribution to the world of student journalism and awarded for my series of stories on the increased student dropout rate at ABC University. The award offered national recognition from a coalition of newspaper and broadcast media.
Tips To Find Accomplishments For A Resume
Set a timer for five minutes and start jotting down your accomplishments for your most recent position. Write down any accomplishment, contribution, or achievement that comes to mind, even if it seems insignificant . Complete this exercise for each position on your resume. To help jog your memory, here are questions to ask yourself:
- Did you receive praise, recognition, or pats on the back from your supervisor or colleagues? For what ?
- Did you receive a promotion, award, or commendations from customers/clients?
- Were you selected for special projects, committees, or task forces?
- Name three accomplishments that make you proud. Did you complete a particularly challenging assignment? Participate in a solution that improved customer service, enhanced efficiency, saved money/time, or increased revenues?
- Are you known throughout your department/company for something?
- If you quit your job, what would everybody say about your work at your goodbye party?
You May Like: Should You Include Your Address On A Resume
What Are Technical Or Hard Skills On Your Resume
Here are some hard resume skills for 15 in-demand fields:
List Team And Company Results Along With Individual Results
You can also name group and company achievements to give context to the impact of your work. For example, if youre an administrative assistant supporting a certain team, you can talk about how much revenue that team brought in.
Even if you only played a small role, you were a part of that effort!
Youll see this a lot in the resume accomplishment samples coming up so make sure to read the next section carefully.
The bottom line is, dont feel like you can only include individual resume accomplishments. If you were part of a group, list what your group achieved, too!
Also Check: What Is Resume In Spanish
Employment History & Examples
Recruiters will expect to see certain generic skills that all cleaners should be able to do in their resume, but how do you make sure that you match what the employers are looking for?
Mold your resumes work experience section for every job you apply for using the same keywords in your resume as listed in the job advert.
- Include your most recent/ current position with the job title, school/ company, and dates.
- Read the job ad carefully. What skills are they asking for?
Adapt your resume by highlighting Building Cleaners professional accomplishments that prove you have the skills they want. Provide measurements like 3 years or 97% favorable scores.
Pro Tip: Utilize commanding phrases in your resume such as achieved favorable ratings or praised by. This highlights your great points.
List your employment tenure in reverse chronological order.
Building Cleaner at St Andrews High School
Responsible for performing light and heavy cleaning include sweeping, mopping, dusting, and glass-cleaning as the schools only Building Cleaner.
- Given 99% favorable scores by teachers in the periodical reviews of hygiene of hallways, rooms, bathrooms, and other facilities.
- Performing light maintenance for school vehicles and equipment.
- Conducting spot tests on dangerous materials, determining the proper cleanup procedures.
- Setting up scaffolding and areas of containment with suitable signage before cleaning up.
Building Cleaner at Industrial Concepts
A List Of Accomplishments Can Help You Impress A Hiring Manager And Score An Awesome Job
Many of us underestimate our achievements and fail to see the many accomplishment examples we amass. We’re often told not to boast, that modesty is the best policy. We show up to do our jobs every day and sometimes do great thingsisn’t that enough? Well, not if you want your resume to get noticed.
Employers look for examples of accomplishments to help them pinpoint achievers, candidates who go above and beyond their job duties. Your resume accomplishments allow you to describe your best wins so employers want to take a chance on you.
If you think you have no work accomplishment examples, think again. Everybody has themits just a matter of digging down and pinpointing what they are.
Read Also: How To List Ged On Job Application