Should You Include Hobbies And Interests On A Resume
Ask yourself these questions:
Would someone looking at your resume be impressed by what your hobbies or personal interests are?
Are they relevant in any way to the job posting youâre applying for?
Are your hobbies or interests going to help you succeed if you land this position?
If the answer is no, then you are better leaving this section off.
Sorry to break it to you, but no recruiter is going to hire you over someone else because you like travel or fishing. This isnât a Facebook profile . Your resume is a document that tells employers and hiring managers why youâre a good match for the job.
Donât worry, later in this article weâll show you when itâs a good idea to list hobbies, interests, and activities on your resume.
How To Write An Eye
You probably never knew that taking French could help you with anything other than learning the correct pronunciation of macaron and the crucial definition of escargot. Who knew it could also help you with your college applications? Whip out those dual-language dictionaries and look up the word résumé. The translation is pretty simple: a summary or recap. Many schools will ask you for an activity resume, and the Coalition and Common Application have separate sections specifically for activities and extracurriculars, so its really easy to overthink this piece of the application. If youve never written a resume before, getting started can be incredibly daunting, but remember: its just a straightforward summary of your education and experience. You can get creative in your application essay.
1. Pick a Clear and Consistent Format
2. Create Sections Strategically
3. Make Your Growth Clear
4. Limit Descriptions to the Highlights
5. Dont Undersell Yourself
About Thea Hogarth
How To List Awards And Achievements On A Resume
Either distribute them across other parts of your resume or put them in a dedicated section.
How to list awards on a resume?
First, can you mention them as as part of your education or employment history? Scholarships can be included under the education summary. Awards you received an award for something you did as a part of your job, include it under employment history. But if you were awarded for doing something outside of the usual scope of your work, however, display it proudly in your awards section.
- Always include a date of recognition. Let an employer know you still have all the skills that earned you the prize.
- Include the purpose of awards and accomplishment they recognize. For example: * Significance.Are you the only one who received it? What did you have to do to accomplish it?
- Scope of the award. Was it a regional award? National? Or even international? Be specific.
How to list achievements on a resume?
Listing your achievements on a resume is always a very effective way of catching employers attention. They can be divided into personal and professional achievements.
Personal achievements include high grades in studies, won competitions, volunteering, or participating in sport events.
Professional achievements include increasing job performance, saving the company money, facilitating its growth, or exceeding work targets.
This is how you cna include them in your resume:
You May Like: Should I Have A Skills Section On My Resume
But How Do I List Hobbies & Interests In The Resume
Do not simply state Archery or Quilling as your interest. You could, but they would not add any value or valor.
Therefore, you should always back your key phrases up with information around what you have achieved in that domain.
Hiration Pro-tip: Performance figures will always help. Instead of saying “Good in debates”, mention “Won the Inter-University Debate Championship encompassing 20+ colleges and 500+ participants”
Blogging / Video Production
If you maintain a personal blog, podcast, or YouTube channel, mentioning it on your resume is a great way to show-off your creativity, organizational skills, and technical skills. Blogging and vlogging are especially relevant to jobs in marketing or advertising. However, only mention these interests if your media is work appropriate.
Don’t Miss: How To Insert A Line In Word For Resume
Resume Example With Interests
When you write a resume with interests, an example can help you get started. Here’s an example you can use:
B.A. in English Literature, 2015
Roundabout Publishing, Vancouver, BC
Literary Writer, September 2016âPresent
Works as a literary writer for a humanities database focused on classical literature and contemporary authors. Writes essays and biographies as well as edits other contributors’ essays and work.
Quorum Holdings, Vancouver, BC
Social Media Writer, June 2015âSeptember 2016
Worked as a social media writer with a team of four writers managing social media content for a law firm.
Staff Writer, September 2011âSeptember 2015
Wrote about campus events and news in the greater Vancouver area. Edited articles for grammar and spelling for other staff writers and reporters.
Begin With A Resume Profile
Your resume profile is a mini-presentation of you and your experience thats supposed to include a summary of your experience, skills, and qualifications for a job.
Make sure to throw in one or two communication or interpersonal skills that will have your resume outperforming resumes from even the most experienced candidates.
Check out this example resume summary for reference:
Communication Skills in a Resume Summary
Self-motivated and open-minded fashion sales associate with 4+ years of professional experience selling women’s designer handbags, clothes, shoes and jewelry while providing exemplary customer service and building strong clientele relationships. Rated #1 “Sales Associate of the Month” for exceeding sales goal by 63%.
As you can see, this person included two communication skills in their resume summary.
While open-mindedness is one of the most important communication skills, which we mentioned earlier, building strong clientele relationships isnt one per se.
Though it does imply that the candidate can effectively communicate with customers and ensure their satisfaction.
You May Like: Where To Put Honors On Resume
Kicks Two Cents: Awards And Achievements Piece Of Advice
- Keep it short. Avoid writing long paragraphs and use bullet points instead.
- Prioritize. If you decide to designate an entire section to your achievements, think about which accomplishments are the most significant. Would you be impressed by it if you were a hiring manager?
- Avoid controversy. Some awards and achievements may be too personal or controversial. Avoid listing any political or religious accomplishments.
- Dont exaggerate. Avoid making something up. You might be asked about your award and accomplishments in your job interview. Or they might contact your references. Lying or exaggerating can cost you a job.
- Mention your biggest accomplishments in your resume summary. If youre a seasoned professional with many notable achievements, they deserve to be placed on the top of your resume. A resume summary is the first thing hiring managers read. Impress them from the get-go.
Why Should You Include Hobbies & Interests In Your Resume
Employers spend approximately 3 minutes and 14 seconds looking at your resume, with 1 out of every 5 recruiters making up their mind about you in 60 seconds.
Your resume should, therefore, give the employer a concrete description of who you are and express your capabilities in under 3 ½ minutes.
A two year longitudinal study of 120 hiring managers conducted by North Western Universitys Kellogg School of Management Studies, showed that approximately 51.2% of employers selected suitable candidates based on their hobbies and interests.
An article by The Guardian could not describe it better that personal interests and hobbies are used to demonstrate how fit you are for the advertised position.
For these and many other reasons well see below, it is essential to carefully analyze the hobbies you need to include in your resume.
Of course this depends on the job opportunity you are applying for.
Each hobby you add is a window into your character, and you should be sure that it directs light towards desired attributes.
In this article well discuss how you how you can craft your resume to stand out among hundreds, probably thousands of resumes sent for each job vacancy.
Read Also: Putting Relevant Coursework On Resume
It Application Support Analyst Global Market Activitiesresume Examples & Samples
- Leads investigations and troubleshoot to resolve problems independently. Formalizes problems and escalates to the next level of support or development team when need be. Engage and improve the Follow-the-Sun model and leverage on our global setup working closely with our Paris and New York offices
- Estimates the risks and opportunities in our day to day job, and take initiatives to reduce the risks and improve our efficiency. Provides support to others peers when necessary and train the new joiners on the perimeter
- Design, co-ordinate, install and maintain vendor applications solutions and exchange gateways
- Manage and co-ordinate with vendor related issues and software deliveries. Coordinate internal testing and certification with various groups
How Your Interests Can Save Your Resume
Consider the following scenario:
The HR manager has discarded all but 2 resumes. Theyre near identical, except for one thing – one of the resumes has a detailed interests section.
Now, when the hiring manager is faced with selecting from 2 equally qualified candidates, the deciding factor tends to come down to them being a right fit culture-wise.
If one of them volunteers at the local soup kitchen, while the other resume appears to be devoid of personality, the one with the list of hobbies and interests is most likely always going to come out on top.
If done right, your hobbies could be the icing on the cake for the rest of your resume.
The section likely wont make or break your resume, but it can make a difference during the interview.
You might be qualified, but are you the right fit personality-wise?
If done right, your interest section could improve your job attractiveness as a potential candidate to the HR manager. They might remember the person who does archery in their free time, compared to the other lifeless resumes, and even bring it up during the interview.
If that happens – thats your time to shine and dazzle them with your unique hobby and intriguing personality.
Ready to start listing your hobbies and interests on your resume?
Heres what you need to know:
Recommended Reading: Do You Include Gpa On Resume
Seasonal Activities Registration Desk
- Maintain knowledge of the Sea Colony Community and be available to refer guests and members to other Sea Colony locations
- Oversee registration for all preregistered activities
- Monitor all retail merchandise and keep the retail area clean and organized
- Act as cashier for programs and retail
- Assist front desk staff as needed
- Greet all guests and check for proper membership identification
- Answer all incoming telephone calls in a professional and courteous manner
- Provide administrative and clerical assistance to management as needed
- Minimum of a Highs School Diploma
- Fun, creative and outgoing personality
- Compassionate and patient, will be working directly with our residents and patients- primarily elderly population
The Procurement Supervisor Is The Internal Reference For All Activities Relating To Planningresume Examples & Samples
- We are looking for a technical oriented person with a technical qualification and a minimum of 3 years experience in the role of Purchasing Specialist/Supervisor in a multinational environment
- The role requires a proactive approach to procurement. and good communication aptitudes with good communication skills and analytic capabilities
- Excellent negotiation skills are required
- Good awareness of MS Office Professional and fluency in speaking and writing English are mandatory for successful applications
- Promote safety in the participation for our guests and fellow team members
- Promote a positive outlook for the company by being enthusiastic and inspiring
- Greeting and providing guest service throughout the resort
- Work cooperatively and effectively with other team members to meet operational guidelines
- Attend and instruct guests in use of equipment in an engaging and friendly manner
- Complete all required documentation at your activity
Also Check: Where To Put Relevant Coursework On A Resume
Responsible For Ensuring The Efficient Administration Of Ap Activities Such As Processing & Payment Of Invoicesresume Examples & Samples
- Commercial banking products and services
- Basic legal and compliance issues within the banking environment
- Report writing skill, good to excellent written and spoken English
- Financial statements analysis / credit evaluation
- Up to10 years in banking and / or auditing of financial services of which at least 5 years in internal audit in investment banks
List Of Hobbies And Interests To Put On A Resume Or Cv
Should you put hobbies on resumes? This guide will show you a top 10 list of hobbies & interests to put on a resume and how to add them to your resume right.
Adding a list of hobbies and interests to a resume
not a good idea, right?
Some say: If youre bored, youre boring.
A well-written hobbies and interests section will prove youre not a couch potato flicking through endless satellite TV channels in your spare time.
So if you think listing pastimes and passions on a resume is a waste of time , in a moment you will see why this resume section is not the one to cut.
In this guide:
- Should you put hobbies on resumes? What about a list of interests for resumes?
- How to add a list of hobbies and interests to a resume to grab the recruiters attention.
- A top 10 list of hobbies and interests to include in a resume for that extra oomph.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: Wow! I love your resume.PatrickI love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!Dylan My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!George
You May Like: How To List Languages On Resume
List Your Skills On A Functional Resume
If you are changing careers or industries and do not have extensive professional experience, you might decide to feature them at the top of your resume. This type of resume is called a functional resume.
3. Skills grouped by theme4. Any relevant professional experience5. Education
To include skills on a functional resume, create a separate skill section that lists your successes with key skills relevant to the position for which youre applying. Any professional experience you do have should go below your skills section.
Heres an example of how to list skills on a functional resume:
Complaint ResolutionAnswered an average 50+ calls per day from unsatisfied customers related to delays in shipment, order mistakes and lost orders. Achieved 97% average customer satisfaction rating, surpassing team goal by 12%.
Service-Based SellingConsistently exceeded application targets by 10% with innovative upselling techniques. Pioneered development of improved system for following up with unsatisfied customers, reducing customer churn by 6%.
Common App Activities Section Overview
In addition to the dreaded 650-word Common App Essay and the numerous college-specific supplemental essays your child will have to write, theyll also need to complete the Common App Activities section when applying to college.
Whereas the Common App Essay will show college admissions committees who your child is, the Common App Activities section will allow colleges to understand what your child has done and is doing outside of the classroom, offering one of the best opportunities to stand out among other applicants.
Without college essays and extracurricular activities lists, colleges would be limited to grades, class rank, and ACT and SAT scores to make their admissions decisions. Given that so many students with strong numbers apply to college each year, its important for your child to use the Activities section to develop an application themethat is, to highlight their it factor and specialties.
Before we get into writing tips and sample extracurricular descriptions, lets go over a few Activities section basics:
Don’t Miss: How To List References On Your Resume
What If My Child Spends Different Amounts Of Time On An Activity During The School Year Vs Over The Summer
While in the past weve advised students in this situation to simply total the number of hours spent and list start and end dates, the Common Apps current format doesnt allow you to input this kind of information. Thus, we recommend that your child simply total their hours and average it over the number of weeks they spent on an activity.
For example, if your child spent 5 hours per week volunteering at an organization for 30 weeks during the school year, plus 25 hours per week for 10 weeks over the summer, they should write that they volunteered for 10 hours per week for 40 weeks. Ideally, they should also work relevant details into the description box to convey how that time was distributedfor instance, they might note that they took on additional responsibilities or more time-intensive tasks during the summer.
+ Example Skills To Add To Your Resume
It is important to include a range of abilities into your resume that encompass general skills as well job-specific skills or sector-specific skills.
The following is a list of skills that are general and transferable skills common across many sectors and positions. Use this list as inspiration for how to write your own skills section, but be sure to tailor your list according to your career goals and your professional experience.
IT skills or computer-based program knowledge are highly favorable among employers today and they should be listed prominently in your resume. Examples of technical skills to include on your resume are:
- Microsoft Office
Recommended Reading: Where To Put Relevant Coursework On A Resume
Highlight Them In Your Work Experience Section
If your extracurricular activities are extremely relevant to the type of work youre aiming for, consider using them as examples of work experience on your resume. For instance, if you volunteered a lot in college and are writing a social work resume, outline that experience in your experience section.
Heres what that might look like on your resume :