Basic Requirement To Apply For Entry
Before jumping into seeing the formats for a fresher teacher resume, start with knowing the right requirements that will make one eligible for teaching jobs. The basic requirements are as follows:
- Qualification: having minimum graduation in a subject that one wants to teach specifically in general.
- Good academic record: to make a career in education, one needs to themselves have a strong and consistent academic record. If the concepts are apparent to a teacher only, they will help their students understand.
- Proper skills and hobbies: teaching requires many skill sets thus, having the right relevant skills and mentioning them in the fresher teacher resume will help get the teaching job. Also, hobbies and special skills can show that apart from bookish knowledge, one has other hobbies that can help with teaching methods.
- Prior knowledge of teaching aids: Many academic institutions use various teaching aids to make interactive and exciting classes. Knowledge of these aids is also a plus point.
Stick To A Single Page
Most recruiters prefer one-page resumes as theyre generally easier to scan and include only the most relevant information. Tailoring your resume for each job and limiting the content to include only your most recent work history should help you to keep the length down.
Edelman recommends featuring only your most recent experience and cutting older work history. A resume should detail your most current 10-15 years. Its understood that your resume is a brief overview of your current career it is not a biography. You dont need to include a list of references or a line about them being available upon request, either. We know we can ask for them later, Swartz says.
Note that when youre first starting out, student teaching should be listed as professional experience. But after a few years, you should consider condensing this experience or leaving it off altogetherespecially if youre worried about getting your resume down to a single page.
How To Write Your Contact Information Section
When grading papers, you know that every word or digit matters. This is also true with your contact information section. Any mistakes made in your phone number or email can render your whole application useless.
For your contact information section, include:
- Full Name
- Title Align this to the job title, which is Teacher
- Phone Number Ensure there are zero errors
- Email Address Make sure to use a professional email address , and not your 6th grade email address
- Location Applying for a job abroad? Mention your location
- Optional – relevant social media profiles.
Also Check: How To Explain Leadership Skills On Resume
Your Resumes Overall Goal
Yes, your resume highlights what youve done in your professional life, but it also provides a snapshot of what you can offer to the employer and why you stand out among dozens of other online English teachers. This snapshot should be presented in a way that is both compelling and easy to read because hiring managers only have so much time to take in all the details on a resume.
Additionally, your online teacher resume strives to show that your profile, experience, and achievements match or at least share some characteristics with the prospective job. Plus, you can also use the information from your resume if you create a teacher profile to market your tutoring services via an online teacher marketplace. Simply copy and paste the information right off your resume to save time!
Overview Of The Modern Recruitment Process
Hundreds of applicants who are eligible and passionate to be elementary teachers, compete for the vacancy by submitting their resumes through emails.
After the closing date, the hiring managers upload the received resumes to an Applicant Tracking System and filter the top resumes. The ATS checks whether the resume includes the relevant qualifications, skills, keywords, and action verbs. Score them and filter the top-scored resumes.
Then the recruiters scan the top resumes and select the best few resumes. The owners of those best resumes are only called for the interview.
Finally, the hiring board interviews the applicants and selects the suitable elementary teacher from them.
You May Like: What To Write In An Email When Sending Resume
How To Format A Resume For A Teaching Job
What to write is the first important thing to know while drafting a resume for a teacher. The next important step is the how.
How you present the resume is crucial for your job application. And while there are not many rules about the style of your resume, there are some key tips to get the format right.
Teacher Resume Career Objective Examples
The objective statement in an official resume consists of a brief sentence that outlays your career goals with respect to the professional responsibilities sought by the employer. According to Teacher Resume samples, your resume objective must be well-tailored to fit the needs of the recruiter.
The profile statement must be strong to captivate the manager to examine your complete resume right away. In short, an objective in a CV must not be a request to pick you, but proof of how committed you are to teaching as a profession and where you plan to go ahead with it.
- Multi-faceted Science Teacher with a Record of Winning Three Consecutive National Science Exhibitions and 15+ Years of Meritorious Professional Record of Teaching Physics and Chemistry to High School Students seeking Science Teaching Post at St. Claire High School
- Adept History Professor with a Doctorate in History seeking a position with EFLU University to apply my exceptional knowledge in World History
- Motivated Mathematics Teacher with 11+ Years of Teaching and Training Secondary Students to join National Mathematics Board
- Versatile Kindergarten Teacher Masters in Communication and Behavioral Skills aspiring to join Sunshine Kindergarten as the Headmistress
- To leverage my exceptional experience as a Linguist and Psychologist in the position of Guidance Counselor for Junior High School Students
Don’t Miss: Putting Relevant Coursework On Resume
What To Highlight In An Esl Teacher Resume
Regardless of your experience as an ESL Teacher, there are a few vital things that employers and recruiters need to know about you to ensure that you are the right fit for their team.
ESL Teachers are usually found working in countries other than their home country where English is not the official language. Examples include China, the Middle East, Eastern Europe or South America.
You as an ESL Teachers can also work in American public, and private schools where the pupils cannot speak English and their native language could be Spanish or Chinese.
The first aspect to highlight is the scope of your teaching experience in regards to foreign countries and whether you were teaching at elementary school, middle school, high schools or post-secondary institutions such as colleges or universities. Some ESL Teaching jobs can be done online which takes quite a bit of getting used to, therefore any online training you have experience in will count in your favor.
Next, define the purpose of your role. ESL Teachers are responsible for instructing students of various ages on grammar, writing, reading, punctuation and even literature. It would help if you mentioned the average age ranges that you are comfortable to teach for example kindergarten, teenagers or even adult learners.
*Cool Tip for a stellar resume
You can really create an excellent first impression by including concrete examples of your teaching abilities:
Listing Skills On A Teachers Resume
At the end of the day, recruiters judge your candidature on the skills that you possess and whether they are relevant to the job you are applying to.
The key is to identify the most relevant skills and list them well on your resume.
The best way to go about it is to lead with the most important skill, followed by ones a little less important and so on.
But the question is, how do you identify the important skills for a teaching job?
The answer is simple! Just follow these steps:
Resume for teaching job- hard skills
- Planning curriculum & lesson plan
Also Check: How To Describe Excel Skills
The Header & Contact Information
The header of a resume is used to state your name and contact information. Despite its simplicity, this section is important because it contains the information that will allow them to contact you again.
Stuffing the header with unnecessary information will lead to creating a bad first impression for your resume: which most applicants do.
Get More And Better Opportunities With A Cover Letter
A cover letter is where you talk directly to the employer/ recruiter. This is where you communicate how you would be a great hire for them.
Writing a cover letter from the beginning is a tedious process. If youre looking for cover letter ideas, check out these cover letter templates and how to write a cover letter for a teacher.
Your French teacher cover letter should be a short one. No recruiter has time to read pages of long cover letters.
In three paragraphs, describe how you can help the recruiter, tell the recruiter how you have already solved similar problems for your current employer, and explain why you are interested in the position and company/institution.
Its pretty much the extended version of your professional summary.
Don’t Miss: Leadership Skills Examples For Resume
Entry Level Elementary Teacher Resume
Use this template
Why this resume works
- Entry level elementary teachers need to clearly list any teacher’s aide experience as well as any transferable work experience from other roles on their resume especially if you have tutoring or training experience. Be specific about the grade levels, curriculums, specialties, and classroom sizes you’ve worked with.
- Use the resume objective to discuss your experience and accomplishments and be sure to indicate your career goals in your resume objective. This will appeal to hiring managers and recruiters, ensuring a successful match with their needs.
- If you have applicable hobbies and interests to the role you applying, be sure to list these on your resume. Hobbies and interests are a great way to catch the eye of the recruiter and/or hiring manager.
What If You Dont Have Work Experience
Maybe youre a graduate who hasnt worked before?
Or maybe you want a career change?
Whatever your situation, there are options.
The main option is to use a portfolio.
Here are several ways to build a teaching portfolio :
- Use a freelance platform to pick up some private tutoring gigs
- Use social media to offer your teaching services to friends & acquaintances
For the students reading this, youll enjoy our guide on how to make a student resume!
Also Check: Skills To Put On A Teenage Resume
Feature Your Gold Starworthy Achievements
In addition to showcasing your relevant responsibilities from past jobs, its also important to highlight your accomplishments. This can serve to paint a fuller picture of who you are as an educator while helping recruiters and hiring managers better understand what youd bring to their classroom. Your resume should show so much more than how many years youve been teaching or which methods youre familiar with, Swartz says. It should also show what youve done in your years as an educator, who you are as a teacher, and what youre capable of.
Edelman recommends including things like the creation or publication of curricula, innovative use of multimedia in the classroom, a track record of improved standardized state or federal test scores , experience with special needs students, or collaboration on the design, monitoring, and fulfillment of Individualized Education Programs .
Another great way to bring your resume to life? Data. Data is an especially effective and underutilized way to demonstrate your abilities, says Swartz. For example, did 75% of your students pass an end-of-grade test? Or did you achieve high growth with 100% of your students?
Creating a dedicated subsection to feature your accomplishments is a great way to make them easy to spot. Check out the sample resume below to see this in action.
The Inside Scoop On How To Write A Resume That Will Get You Hired As An English Teacher Abroad
There’s an old cliché that “You never get a second chance to make a first impression” and when you apply for jobs teaching English abroad – or just about any job for that matter – your resume, or “CV”, can make or break your chances of getting an interview and ultimately the job you want. Here are some key points to help you put together a killer resume that will greatly enhance your prospects of getting the job you want teaching English abroad, whether it be in China, Spain, Argentina or anywhere else.
*Note: This article is an excerpt from the 350-page International TEFL Academy Job Search Guidance Manual that is provided exclusively to International TEFL Academy students and graduates as part of their lifetime Job Search Guidance. It was prepared by expert job placement advisors in the Student Affairs Department at ITA, who provide personal assistance to hundreds of students and graduates each year with their resume and cover letter in addition to other aspects of the job search and interviewing process.
Recommended Reading: Should I Include Languages In My Resume
How To Write Education Section In Teacher Resume
Employers are searching for innovative and accomplished teachers with a meritorious list of academic excellence. Moreover, being a teacher, you must emphasize your colossal achievements during education in the field you specialize as a tutor today.
It is recommended to list your university or college alongside the GPA and SAT scores to prove your technical efficiency in the subject in your teachers resume. If you were a magna cum laude in your academics, list it as the first point, to begin with, a positive introduction. It is wise to list your certifications to a different page.
Spotlight Your Classroom Management Skills
Remember that scene in Kindergarten Cop, when Arnold Schwarzenegger yells at a classroom of kindergarteners to shut up?
Needless to say, thats not good or ideal classroom management.
Impress school administrators by highlighting your ability and experience in quieting and corralling rowdy children. For example, our candidate touches on their classroom management abilities in their professional profile with the following bullet:
- Recognized for ability to develop and implement activities that improve students learning and behavioral skills
Alternatively, you can show that youve got a good handle on running a preschool classroom by describing your experience with management strategies. For instance:
- Implemented individual and classroom incentive system to reward good student behavior
- Developed behavior management plan that was eventually adopted schoolwide to encourage student participation
Emphasizing these skills helps reassure school administrators that its OK to leave a dozen or more preschoolers under your watch.
Above all, remember that your resume should convey your enthusiasm for teaching young children and why you can be trusted to impart their earliest lessons.
You May Like: How To Put Ged On Resume Example
Literature And Writing Teacher Coach
- Graded student pre-tests and post-tests reviewed and edited end-of-summer student evaluations and wrote mid- and end-of-summer evaluations of assigned intern teachers
- Observed classes twice a week and conferenced with teachers after observations, providing feedback on teaching methods and classroom management
- Worked with intern teachers to revise and implement daily lesson plans and ensure that intern teachers adhere to lesson plan deadlines and train Breakthrough intern teachers to effectively implement Breakthrough lesson plans
- Provided teachers with written/verbal feedback on daily lesson plans and accompanying documents, as well as formal and informal feedback
- Facilitated weekly department meetings and provided advice and support to intern teachers
- Communicated and worked closely with Site Director to ensure progress of students and teachers
Substitute Teacher Resume Examples For 2022
Substitute teachers have a variety of expertise across grade levels, curriculum, and specialties. It can be difficult to understand how to write your substitute teacher resume to capture this wide range of experience.
We analyzed hundreds of substitute teacher resume samples from all stages and specialties within the education field. We learned what works to help you get more interviews in 2022. We created four resume samples to help substitute teachers build an eye-catching resume that will showcase your accomplishments.
The hardest part of writing your resume is getting started. These resumes helped substitute teachers find jobs in 2022 so they’re a great source of inspiration.
Why this resume works
You May Like: Resume Magna Cum Laude
Choosing The Correct Cv Format And Resume Template
Your resume format is vitally important. Not only does the resume or CV formatting impact ATS filtering of your teacher resume, but the template visuals will affect how much attention your teacher resume receives from recruiters. Similar to the use of keywords and your summary description, your resume formatpresents a dual challenge: pass the ATS filtering and win over the hiring manager. Lets take a look at some rules for each of these goals.
For the ATS:
- Save your resume in the PDF format, as our resume builder does.
- Use specialized tools, templates and builders that are built with modern technologies in mind and tested in HR systems.
- Spell out abbreviations or acronyms.
For recruiters and HR departments:
- Make sure to include some white space between your resume sections. A resume that is completely covered in text leaves no room for the brain or eyes to rest.
- Make sure the sections of your resume are clean, symmetrical and well-placed. An aesthetically pleasing format will make recruiters more likely to read your resume.
- Use professional resume templatesthat have been tested and designed by experts. Make sure your template expresses your values and personality as a teacher.
Keep it simple – there is no need for your resume to be creative. Clear and concise is all that is required.
Ensure your resume is spaced out well and that it is clear and easy to read.
Write a resume that is more than two pages long. Recruiters simply don’t have the time to read pages and pages.