Objectives For A New Grad Nursing Resume
- Graduated from a 4-year course in Nursing and received my professional license as a Registered Nurse in 2015. Dedicated, motivated and compassionate with a great love for providing health care, I hope to start my career in this honourable profession with the Avera Medical Group.
- Detail-oriented nursing graduate with a positive and friendly disposition is seeking work with the Good Hope Hospital as a Registered Nurse. I have ACLS Certification, extensive exposure to the different areas of the hospital, and I am confident of my ability to provide assistance to doctors and other healthcare workers.
- A dynamic and soft-spoken nursing graduate is interested in acquiring an entry-level nursing position at Sunshine Hills General Hospital. My strong skill sets are in the areas of post-operative patient care, surgical assistance, and pharmaceutical oncology. Likewise, I am efficient in collecting fluid samples.
- Seeking a position for a nursing graduate at the West Allen Healthcare Center. I have acquired specialised training in the following areas: Intravenous Infusions, Dialysis, and Cardiac Care. I am also particularly effective in establishing rapport with emotionally unstable patients.
- Dedicated and energetic new nursing graduate is interested in becoming a Registered Nurse for First Care Georgia Hospital. If considered, I hope to contribute my knowledge and expertise in Critical Care, ER, and Oncology.
Example Nursing Graduate Resume
Now that weve discussed each piece of the nursing graduate resume, lets put it all together in this example resume using a simple format:
Nancy A. Mazin RN, BSNSeattle, WA 98052 555-5555
Registered Nurse InternCaring, patient-focused nursing graduate seeking entry-level nursing position at a large public hospital. Skilled communicator and technically proficient in electronic medical records. Proven ability to establish rapport with patients and staff in fast-paced setting. Adaptable and able to learn skills / procedures quickly.
Bachelors of Science in Nursing , Smith & Brown University, City, ST 2022
Associates Degree in Nursing , Charleston Community College, City, St 2018
License: Registered Nurse, Active Ohio, #55443322 expiration 01/2023
Certification: Basic Life Support , American Heart Association, expiration 11/2024
University Hospital, Seattle, WA, March 2018 to August 2019
Registered Nursing Student-Non-Intensive Care Unit
- Performed blood draws for needle-wary patients in a high-volume setting.
- Provided wound care to 12 patients per shift, including those with diabetes, pressure sores, and other slow-to-heal sores.
- Calmed down upset patients enabling them to receive needed treatments.
Cook Medical Center, Seattle, WA January 2017 to March 2018
Registered Nursing Student-Intensive and Surgical Care
Epic and Cerner Alaris IV pumps, Microsoft Office / 365
Willing to travel
New Grad Nursing Resume Format
As someone who lacks experience, the Combination type is the best new grad Nursing resume format you can use.
The Combination will format your resume as follows:
- Contact Information
- Clinical Rotations
- Personal Information
We are not suggesting the Combination as a way to hide your work experience. There is no need to do this if you wrote an effective objective statement. Besides Clinical Rotations will take the place of work experience. Instead we are using the Combination format to place your qualifications and skills front and center of your new Nursing grad resume.
Recommended Reading: Resume Formatting Google Docs
Nursing Skills And Areas Of Expertise
It is a common mistake to list hard skills last on a resume. With the popularity of ATS this mistake could cost you an interview. This is especially true in nursing as the profession requires very specific skills. List skills within the top of the resume. Your hard skills should be directly targeted to the role as it is expressed in the job description.
Is the employer asking for a specific EMR that you are experienced with? List it! Are you an expert at starting IVs because of your five years of experience in the emergency room? List it!
This should not be a generic list of skills, but a specific list that is as quantified as much as possible. Its possible that if you are a newer nurse or are making a specialty pivot that you may not have hard skills to include. In that case, its okay to omit this section and highlight your transferable soft skills within your job history.
Add A Detailed Nursing Education Section
Writing your resumes education section as an entry-level nurse is different from writing the education section of your resume in other industries.
This is because medicine has many different specializations and educational requirements that entry-level nurses need to include in their education section.
For example, your education section should include the following information: education, relevant coursework, and licenses and certifications. These three parts make up your overall educational background, and because youre a fresh nursing school graduate, employers will want to immediately see them when reviewing your entry-level nurse resume.
Below, weve included examples of a well-written education section for an entry-level nurse, complete with relevant coursework, licenses, and certifications:
Also Check: How To Get Free Resume Database
Highlight Your Professional License
The Contact Information section is an important and strategic area in your resume. First and foremost, it is located in the top third section which means it will be seen by the recruiter.
Second, it contains all the key details that will qualify you for the job. On top of the list is your Professional License as a Nurse. This should be indicated right below your full name.
Having your RN License included in your Contact Information automatically puts you in the running.
Last but certainly not the least, use a professional-sounding email address:
Professional Email Address: Not a Professional Email Address:
What Are The Steps To Write A New Grad Nurse Resume
The process of writing a professional CV consists of a series of interconnected stages and steps that lead you to write the CV in the form of separate successive sections, and these stages are as follows:
As a result, the new grad nurse resume is divided into five sections, which are shared by all approved CV templates.
We will mention these sections in the following paragraph with a brief explanation, which will be clear through the examples.
Recommended Reading: How To Put Dean’s List On Resume
Education For Your New
You should display all of your relevant college education. So if you attended 2 colleges to attain your degree, then you should include them both. Please do not include your high school education. We recommend including the following information for each pertinent education institution you attended:
There are several other details in addition to these that you may want to include regarding your education. Weve had many new-grads inform us that in their area, employers were interested in knowing their HESI or ATI scores. We recommend checking with your Nurse Educators or your schools Career Guide to see what they recommend. You may also wish to include relevant coursework and corresponding grades if you got an A. However, keep this brief and relevant to the job youre applying for. Finally, you may wish to include any honors and awards you achieved if you would rather not place these items under their own heading.
New Grad Nursing Duties And Responsibilities
New Nursing graduates must dread writing the work experience section of the resume. After all, this is the area where a recruiter focuses his energies on. The summary of duties and responsibilities will help him gauge if the candidate is qualified for the job or not.
On the other hand, the new Nursing grad is in a quandary. She is looking for her first job as a licensed Nurse. Therefore, she has no work experience. What will she list down in her summary of duties and responsibilities?
First of all, dont panic! Second, take a deep breath and change your approach toward work experience.
The reason why most entry-level job seekers get intimidated in writing the work experience section is their belief that it refers to paid work. To an extent, that is true.
However, if you break down the term work experience what it truly means is experience in applying the practical skills and techniques that you have learned and acquired.
If the university gives you the foundation for the fundamental and theoretical principles of Nursing, your practicum provides the experience of applying what you have learned.
Before working on the work experience section, recollect your time running the shifts at the hospital. What were your duties and responsibilities then?
- Assisted the Head Nurse
- Assisted the Nurse in cleaning up the patient
- Recorded and kept track of patients progress
Good new grad Nursing responsibilities example
Duties and Responsibilities
Also Check: Job Application Resume Examples
Entry Level New Nursing Grad Resume
If you shifted careers and applying for your first-ever Nursing job, use the Combination format as we suggested for your entry level new Nursing grad resume. What is important is that your requirements such as Nursing license and clinical rotations are complete.
If you are an immigrant applying for a nursing position as a new grad, you should include certifications that are required under the guidelines of immigration authorities.
These certifications may include:
- Proof of qualification from agency-approved credentialing organization.
- Certification of competence in oral and written English.
- Health and fitness test.
Check with your local city state for the complete list of requirements for foreign-born new Nursing grads.
How To Write A New Graduate Nurse Resume
You may think that you must distinguish yourself by developing a new grad nurse resume that breaks the mold. Nothing is further from the truth. You want your job application to reflect who you are within the bounds of a typical outline.
To that end, your graduate nurse CV should contain the following standard elements:
- The resume header
- The resume summary
- The employment history section
- The resume skills section
- The education section
The main goal of your resume is to get the interview. You dont want to tempt the recruiter to triage your application out of the list. So, opt for a familiar organization.
Account for the Applicant Tracking System
The Applicant Tracking System is another way HR departments make the hiring process easier for themselves. Whenever you apply online, you are inputting your data into an ATS. The ATS scans your information and ranks it against other resumes to create a top tier of documents that will be seen by a person. To make it past the ATS algorithms, which are partly based on keywords and phrases associated with the position, you need to match your words to those in the job listing.
The trick here is to do so while still sounding natural and avoiding any tricks such as stuffing your resume with keywords.
Read Also: Will Cruises Resume In 2021
Example Resume Summary For New Grad Nursing
Dedicated Graduate Nurse with 750+ hours of clinical placement experience across a range of clinical institutions. Proven ability to handle medical emergencies, manage chronic medical conditions, preventative care, and same day sick visits. Commended for excellent patient communication, with a passion for helping people. Holding an interim GN Licence, seeking employment on a New Grad Residency Program beginning Summer 2022.
Education Licensure And Certifications
In a list format, the education section should list the degree, college or university name, location, and graduation date in reverse chronological order. It is not necessary to list high school education. Listing honors, extracurriculars, or GPAs of 3.5 or higher may also be included. If space allows, grads could also list relevant coursework.
Similarly, the nursing graduate should list any and all relevant certifications and licensures on the resume, including dates. By listing required certifications, the candidate shows they are prepared to start work right away.
The new graduate’s nursing license with state and number should be explicitly spelled out. This makes it easy for human resources to verify credentials, which works in the job candidate’s favor.
Certain units require their own certifications Advanced Cardiac Life Support is commonly required to work in an intensive care unit.
Below is an example of how education, certifications, and licensure can be listed:
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing , Smith & Brown University, City, ST 2022
- Associates Degree in Nursing , Charleston Community College, City, St 2018
License: Registered Nurse, Active Ohio, #55443322 expiration 01/2023
Certification: Basic Life Support , American Heart Association, expiration 11/2024
Also Check: How To Hand In A Resume
Nursing Education And Certifications
When preparing your nursing resume, include all the elements that will increase your chances of getting the job. You need to indicate the following:
- Your education level
- Your experience in other nursing environments
- Your years of experience as a nurse
On the topic of licenses, you need to share your area of specialization. Specialists include registered nurses , certified registered nurse anesthetists, and clinical nurse specialists. Including your area of expertise helps potential employers determine whether you’re the right candidate for the job.
Besides, including this information is easy to do and shouldn’t take up much space! Simply place certifications and licenses in a short section toward the bottom of your resume:
Davita Dialysis Bridgeport Ct
Patient Care Technician, June 2017August 2018
- Assisted 3 physicians, 2 RNs, and 4 laboratory technicians by needling patients for dialysis and other treatments
- Monitored patients health progress and entered their information into the system
- Worked under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, accountable for observing patients conditions and maintaining data
- Educated patients about the treatments they were undergoing, and encouraged them to interact more with their physicians
Don’t Miss: When Student Loans Resume
Does Every Emplyer Use Ats
While many employers use ATS, there are definitely employers who still rely on human resource professionals to screen resumes. In those instances, a human resources professional usually skims the resumes and invites the most qualified candidates in for an interview.
The problem here is that most employers will receive hundreds of resumes for a single opening. To get through the resumes quickly, the HR professional may resort to a simple scan of the resumes knowing that even qualified applicants may not make it. Its simply a way to reduce the number of applicants.
In either case, the goal of the modern resume is to sell yourself in an organized, targeted manner for a specific role. The best way to design an effective, attention-grabbing resume is by making strong assertions in the beginning followed by supporting evidence.
New Graduate Resume 101
An attention-getting new nursing resume is professional and concise showing the best possible view of the job candidate. It should summarize the candidate’s capabilities and background, while persuasively relaying all they have to offer. The nursing resume includes name, contact info, job title, summary, education and certifications, job experience, and skills sections.
- A one-page resume is sufficient in length for recent nursing graduates. The resume is not the place for verbose writing style or the play-by-play of every clinical experience.
- Resumes should be free from typos, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and the like. Such errors demonstrate carelessness and lack of attention to detail. Having a friend proofread the resume or hiring a professional proofreader for a nominal fee is a good idea.
- Resumes no longer include a hobbies and interests section. Resumes should not include age, marital status, race, religion, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and the like.
Recommended Reading: Resume Writing Services Online
New Grad Nursing Resume Summary
Your resume summary is like an elevator pitch. Its your chance to sell yourself to employers within a short space of time.
Achieve this by summarizing your skills and expertise, whilst highlighting your abilities that closely match the jobs you are aiming for.
Tips for creating an strong resume summary:
- Keep it brief: Your summary is intended to be a high-level introduction to hook readers attention, so keep it brief save the details for later in your resume.
- Tailor it: Tailor your resume to your target jobs by studying the job description and adding as many matching skills as you can.
- Avoid cliches: Recruiters always see cringey cliches like hardworking guru who works well in a team or individually they dont mean much to anyone, so focus your summary on tangible skills and experience.
Give Details On Your Education And Training
Nursing students are required to undergo practical training at a hospital. It is a good idea to apply at the hospital where you had your practicum. By doing so, the person reviewing your resume would know you are already familiar with the hospital and its procedures.
If you decide to follow this strategy, you should go into detail on the training you went through with the hospital:
- Describe the work rotations you went through
- Enumerate the different areas that you were assigned Nursing duty at
- Cite specific cases that you were involved with
- Include names of Head Nurses, doctors, and patients that you interacted with
- List the duties and responsibilities that you were asked to manage
Recommended Reading: What Should Your Resume Title Be
Sections Of A Nursing Resume
The nursing resume usually consists of the following sections:
- Name and Contact Info
- Professional Memberships
- Volunteer Experiences
FUN FACTS: Even before the Covid-19 pandemic when nurses were widely honored for their patient dedication, nurses have been recognized for 18 years in a row as the most honest and ethical profession per a Gallup poll.
New Grad Nursing Resume Writing Tips
One of the most valuable new grad Nursing resume writing tips we can give you is to not hide the fact that you have no or very little experience. Hiring managers know what they are doing and what to look for. We did this in our Nursing resume objective for new grad.
Theyve gone through literally thousands of resumes and have developed an intuition on whether you are telling a story or concocting a story. Just like a patient who is about to receive unfortunate news on his or her condition, it would do you well to get it over and done with.
Our next valuable tip is to focus on your skills, qualifications and licenses. Spare no detail and that means disclosing your professional license number.
Finally, share key experiences in your new Nursing grad resume. Remember that the resume is your marketing toolkit it is your way of selling your qualifications to the company. The best way to do that is by initiating a conversation through your content.
Even if you dont have applicable experience, recruiters would appreciate learning how your journey up to this point has shaped your perspective toward the Nursing profession.
Don’t Miss: How Far Back On Resume For Work History