Keep Your Design Functional
As a designer, its tempting to make a visual resume thats creative and eye-catching. However, the problem with using a nontraditional format is that your resume ends up being difficult to read and makes it hard for hiring managers to find the information theyre looking for.
Ultimately, the best graphic design resumes are both functional and attractive. So while you dont need to make your resume look bland, you should stick to a traditional resume format that lays your information out in a logical, easy-to-read fashion instead of using a unique layout.
If you want to make an infographic resume, use it as a supplementary document rather than as your primary resume.
Graphic Design Resume: Summary
After you’re done with the rest of the graphic design resume making, the last thing that you will write is the summary section.
This section is written in the end so that you can refer the rest of your graphic designer resume and pick the points that are the highlight of your career to add in the summary section.
A summary is written in a manner in which you explain how you used your graphic design resume skills for the benefit of the company. A summary section basically serves the purpose of those who have professional experience of more than 3 years.
Use your summary section to tell the recruiter what you can do for the organization by highlighting how you used your graphic design resume skills for the previous company.
See the graphic designer resume sample below to see how you can optimize your summary section:
If you are a fresher, then the last thing that you will make is an objective section.
You will write this section at end so that you can pick points from the rest of the graphic designer resume and then write them after rephrasing them a little.
An objective section is for freshers or entry level professionals. In the objective section you will write what you can offer to the organization and not what you expect the organization to provide you with.
Hiration Pro-tip: When it comes to the Summary/Objective debate, we like to misappropriate a JFK quote along the lines of ‘Ask not what the company can do for you, but what you can do for the company’.
Graphic Design Student Internresume Examples & Samples
- Produce creative designs for a variety of media, including but not limited to: banners, signage, posters, presentations, calendars, marketing materials, newsletters, promotional incentives, etc
- Design visually engaging content for digital and social media platforms, website and email campaigns, and blogs
- Maintain and enhance the overall dining image through the adoption of a concise voice, and the execution of a clean, consistent design
- Ensure adherence to local and national graphic standards by understanding and proactively applying guidelines to all collateral
- Knowledge of graphic design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite and a quality design portfolio
- Strong written communication, effective multitasking and ability to take direction
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize/complete assignments in a timely manner
- Attention to detail and proficiency in proofing marketing materials
- Current student enrollment at James Madison University
- Ability to work 10-15 hours a week
Also Check: How To Define Language Proficiency On Resume
Can A Visual Artist Use Social Media In His Resume Effectively
Why not! Nowadays social media provides a stage to show personal talent. Have you ever shared your competencies and abilities as follows? So be hurry to add your personal profile links in your resume header.
LinkedIn / Twitter:- Can you prove your prior career history from these accounts? Then it is better to provide the profile link.
Facebook / Instagram:- Do you upload the pieces of your work on Facebook or Instagram daily or periodically? So the managers who hire you will be impressed to see that link in your resume header.
Do you have an active profile on Pinterest which has uploaded unique images that were designed by you? Better to cite the URL.
YouTube:- Do you have a YouTube channel on a beginner / advanced visual designing course, designing tips, or quick methods? Surely mention the URL in your resume header.
Graphic Design Ascresume Examples & Samples
- Work collaboratively with all disciplines of Communications and external creative resources in the development of a variety of projects
- Generate story-driven creative solutions across existing and emerging visual communications mediums including presentations, advertising, tradeshows, digital media and videos
- Collaborate with stakeholders to help shape requirements and produce creative treatments to reflect project vision and positive end-user engagement
- Adapt to the changing landscape of visual communications technology by researching the latest trends in graphic design, web design, interactive media and visual media
- Plan, schedule and coordinate activities to accomplish objectives and quality check projects for overall adequacy and accuracy
- Provide responsibility or input on reproduction and printing processes through in-house resources or outside vendors
- Exhibit strong knowledge and expertise in Adobe and Microsoft Office
Recommended Reading: How To Describe Excel Skills On Resume
Planning Your Graphic Designer Resume
- Do your research: Your resume should be tailored to the companys needsthis means first understanding their work, mission, values, and challenges. Browse through their website and social media and search for any news or articles about the company.
- Review the job posting: The job posting has specific information about what the company is looking for in an ideal candidate. Highlight key skills and qualifications in the job posting. You will want to include those in your resume. Remember that some companies use resume-screening software, so make sure you have keywords to get you through that initial screening.
- Select your most relevant work: You may have an extensive portfolio of designs and a long list of skills, but youll need to pare it down to the most relevant details. For example, if the company is looking for someone with experience in branding, highlight your achievements in creating memorable and consistent brand assets.
- Create a simple and appealing design: As a graphic design job applicant, a generic resume template wont cut it. While the content is key, Hiring Managers will also be looking at how you present the content. Create a clean but aesthetically pleasing design. Stick to one or two fonts, use color sparingly and make sure theres plenty of white space to make your resume easy to read. Add in a few creative elements to show your skills, but dont go overboard.
Can Graphic Design Be Done By Hand Or Is It Always Done Digitally
The answer to this question is not a simple one. It depends on the project, the client, and the designers personal preferences. Some graphic designers do all their work by hand, others only do digital work, and still, others use a combination of both methods. There are pros and cons to both methods. Hand-drawn designs can be more expressive and personal, while digital designs can be more precise and accurate. It really comes down to what the designer is trying to achieve and what will work best for the specific project.
Read Also: How To Divide Skills On Resume
Front End Developer With Graphic Design Experienceresume Examples & Samples
- With limited guidance performs defect correction on less complex issues and/or codes applications of medium complexity. With guidance begins to install, customize and integrate commercial software packages. Works with more tenured peers to gain understanding of systems while conducting root cause analysis of issues, reviewing new and existing code and/or performing unit testing
- Works with experienced team members to conduct root cause analysis of issues, review new and existing code and/or perform unit testing. Learns to create system documentation/play books and attends requirements, design and code reviews. Receives work packages from manager and/or delegates
- Understands and assists in gathering and analyzing customer requirements and may respond to outages following the appropriate processes
- Partners with experienced team members to develop accurate estimates on work packages. May begin to identify issues that impact availability
Resume Summary For General Graphic Design Skills
Example:Graphic designer with seven years of experience with an eye for detail whose work emphasizes creativity and innovation. Highly skilled in photo and video editing with a mastery of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere and After Effects. Past projects range from video advertisements to social media content.
This resume summary highlights the candidates diverse technical skills and creative abilities. Employers may be encouraged to give this resume a more thorough review because it mentions a mastery of graphic design software and includes several years of work experience in a graphic designer role.
Don’t Miss: Should You Include High School On Resume
Creative Graphic Designer Resume
Why this resume works
- Graphic design is a very wide-ranging field, so sprinkle your creative graphic designer resume with keywords relating to your strongest skillsets.
- Some of the most popular mediums we’ve seen are print media, video, website design, and logo design.
Graphic Design & Marketing Opportunityresume Examples & Samples
- Develop designs that meet time, budget, and logistical constraints. Provide templates and guidance for appropriate use of logos and other graphic elements as needed
- Think creatively and use independent judgment to create design options
- Assist in collaborating with designers, photographers, printers, and other professionals to develop and produce materials for Marketing and other departments
- Fulfill marketing orders and requests for materials from our health center staff, and orders made through our online store
- Assist in creating content for and manage the hiring company’s websites
- Assist in creating compelling messages for the hiring company’s social media platforms including Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and YouTube
- Assist with regular reports of advertising campaign results, as well as monthly social media data
- Work with the Manager of Marketing to monitor expenses for marketing activities and materials
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience in the field of graphic design
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing to staff and vendors
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and request
- Experience representing brands on social media preferred, but not mandatory
- Familiarity with Microsoft products including Outlook and Word
Also Check: How To Prepare Resume For Mechanical Engineers
Once You Understand The Basic Elements And Principles Of Graphic Design You Can Begin Creating Your Own Stunning Visual Images And Communications
Creating a graphic design project can be a daunting task for someone who doesnt understand the basics of graphic design. By understanding some of the basic principles and elements of graphic design, you can begin to create your own projects with less difficulty. The following is a brief introduction to some of the most important concepts in graphic design.
Graphic design is all about communication. Its the process of using images, typography, and layout to convey a message to the viewer. Good graphic designers are able to use these elements to create designs that are both attractive and effective.
Before you start creating your own designs, its important to learn about the different principles of design. These principles include balance, contrast, emphasis, rhythm, and unity. Each principle can be used to create different effects in your designs.
Clean & Professional Resume
Web and graphic designers should love this polished offering. White space is employed to make your content blocks stand out. flashes of color call attention to your name and background. Free fonts are used to avoid having to download external text graphics.
I think this one’s the ideal mix of minimalism and colorful contrast. Both elements are complementary. They combine to form a sleek and noticeable document. Here are some features you can look forward to:
- compatible with Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Word
- CMYK color palette for easy printing
- A4 format
Read Also: What Lies If Any Are Acceptable On A Resume
Best Graphic Design Resume Templates On Envato Elements
Envato Elements is one of the most valuable services for creatives. With a single “all-access pass” subscription to Envato Elements, you’ll unlock unlimited downloads of graphic designer CV templates. Besides that, you’ll also have access to stock photos, graphics, and so much more.
For a job applicant, having such a deep library of job resume templates is a real luxury. You can work your way through many different templates to find a style that matches your preference and the job posting. Check out these graphic design resume examples.
Envato Elements is a creative professional’s dream come true. Subscribe and you’ll unlock unlimited downloads of creative assets like graphic and web designer resume templates, presentations, and more.
Minimal Web Designer Resume
This minimal web designer resume template has a stunning top section where hiring managers can easily see your contact information. Include all the relevant information about your past experience. The template comes with a matching cover letter and a portfolio page where you can include samples of your work.
- supported in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Word
- CMYK color palette for easy printing
- A4 page format
Recommended Reading: Is It Ok To Use Personal Pronouns In A Resume
Your Certifications And Education
Whether you hold a bachelorâs degree in graphic design or a high-school diploma, you should have a spot on your freelance graphic designer resume dedicated to your educational background. Youâll want to put in your actual or expected graduation dates and the type of degree you received, such as âB.A. in Graphic Design.â
If your GPA is above a 3.0, go ahead and list it. Otherwise, you can leave it off. You can also include any awards you received and extracurricular activities related to design.
Graphic Design Professionalresume Examples & Samples
- Determines document layout options, costs, time-frames, etc. on basic communication materials by interfacing with technical writers and information developers
- Assists with the creation and development of visual and multimedia content, to support strategic communications, marketing campaigns, and educational training
- Collaborates with the art director, multimedia specialists/videographers, graphic and instructional designers, to plan, organize, and execute projects
- Zero or more years of graphic design experience
- Ability to work in a team environment Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field preferred
- Zero or more years experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working with animations and multimedia graphics
Don’t Miss: How To Put Research Assistant On Resume
Top 17 Skills For A Graphic Designer Resume
When the HR manager is going through your resume, theyre looking to see if you have the right skills for the job.
Imagine this: youre the best graphic designer in the world and your resume is impeccable. BUT, you still get rejected, because you didnt mention that you know HTML and CSS in your resume, which was one of the main requirements.
Not sure which skills to pick?
Here are some of the most common graphic designer skills.
- As a general rule, wed recommend not to go overboard with Soft Skills. Theyre a lot harder to back up, especially if youre a student or a recent graduate. Just about anyone can say that theyre creative, but not a lot of people are experts at InDesign.
Looking for a more comprehensive list? Heres a mega-list of 150+ must-have skills in 2022.
How To List Education Right
The next section in any graphic designer resume is the Education.
This ones pretty straightforward. Simply list out your education entries, and youre gold!
- Degree Type & Major
- Relevant Courses: Typography 101, Introduction to Graphic Design, Advanced Graphic Design, Web Design
- GPA: 3.7
Before we move on, here are some of the most frequent questions we get about education on a resume :
- Q: What if I havent finished college?
A: Whether youre still a student, or you dropped out, you should still mention your degree. All you have to do is include the years studied, and youre good.
- Q: Do I list my high school education?
A: Only if you dont have a higher education. No one cares about your high school education if you have a B.A.
- Q: What goes first, education or experience?
A: If you have any relevant work experience, then experiences go on top. If you dont, though, then education.
Still have some questions? Check out our guide on how to list education on a resume.
Read Also: How To Make An Infographic Resume Free
Tools And Software: Graphic Design Is Often Done Using Software And Tools Knowing What Is Available To You Can Help You Better Create Your Designs
There is a wide range of graphic design software and tools available to help with creating digital art, illustrations, and logos. Some are more specialized for certain tasks, while others are more versatile. In order to create the best possible designs, its important for graphic designers to be familiar with the different options and how they can be used.
One common tool is Adobe Photoshop. This software is often used for photo editing but can also be used for creating graphics and logos. It has a wide range of features and allows for a lot of control over the final product. For those who want something thats a little simpler, Adobe Illustrator might be a better option. Its specifically designed for vector illustrations and offers a lot of flexibility when it comes to creating shapes and lines.
Graphic Designer Resume: Education
For a recruiter, your qualification is the second most important thing after your work experience.
This section provides the information around your education, like, the courses you did, names of the schools/universities attended, their location and dates of enrolling and graduating.
Make sure the information you write in this section is all true, as this section helps the recruiter decide whether you are perfectly qualified, under qualified or overqualified for the profile that you have applied for.
The graphic designer resume samples provided below will give you a better idea of how to write the education section:
Also Check: What Does It Mean Objective On A Resume