Use A Social Worker Resume Template
Want to skip past all the hassle of formatting a resume?
We get that!
Having to deal with a text editor to create your CV is not fun. You have to spend hours and hours making the resume look just like you want it to
Then you make a very slight change, and your entire resume layout gets messed up.
Thats why resume-builders like Novoresume exist!
To make your life a little easier, you can just pick one of the hand-crafted resume templates, and voila! All you have to do is fill in your resume contents, literally no formatting effort is required.
Remember To Take Care Of Yourself
It often happens that when our work involves taking care of others, we become less concerned with taking care of ourselves.
For example, as a social worker, you might get too involved and personal with a case and, wanting to find a solution, end up neglecting your need for rest. This might lead to burnout.
Well, that should never be the case – especially when you have a job with an intense workload and unstable hours. Social workers are also at risk of developing emotional fatigue – a factor for a deterioration in their mental health.
Thats why self-care goes a long way in your industry you wont be able to take care of others if you dont take care of yourself!
Preparing A Social Worker Resume With No Experience Go For A Resume Objective
Now, if you dont have the necessary professional experience to write a captivating resume summary , youre still in the clear.
All you have to do in that case is go for a resume objective.
In a nutshell, this is a brief statement of your motivation for getting into the field.
To write an effective resume objective, follow this simple format:
Heres a concrete example to get a better idea of what were saying:
Dedicated recent graduate with a Master of Social Work from the University of Pennsylvania. 2 years of practical experience from volunteering as a community social worker. Looking to apply my knowledge and deepen my experience as a social worker at the Butler County Community College.
Read Also: How To Put An Award On Your Resume
Government Rules And Standards Frame The Work Of A Social Worker
One thing every social worker learns early on is that they cannot each case based on passion and goodwill alone.
The line of action of social workers is very intricately tied with – and limited by – government guidelines, regulations, and standards.
Sometimes, you may think those guidelines are frustrating, or you may find that organizational dysfunction causes an intense caseload that can leave you feeling overworked.
Well, just remember that bureaucracy is an integral part of how our societies operate and that guidelines are oftentimes necessary to set a standard of how cases should be treated.
So if youre feeling frustrated, just remember that ultimately, your job helps people – which is probably what made you want to get into the field in the first place.
Social Work Resume Examples Of 2022
The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that jobs for social workers will increase by 11% overall from 2018 to 2028. Although projected growth differs by specialization, all areas of the industry are projected to grow faster than the average for all occupations. Jobs for child, family, and school social workers are expected to grow 7%. Employment for health care is expected to grow 17% as social workers help aging populations adjust to treatments. Changing attitudes to mental health and substance abuse will see jobs in this area grow by 18%.
Although the number of jobs for social workers is expected to grow, there will still be competition for these positions. A strong resume can help you stand out from other applicants. Here, you can find downloadable resume examples for entry-level and experienced job seekers as well as tips for writing a better resume and tailoring it to specific job descriptions.
Don’t Miss: How To Send Resume To Referral
Social Work Resume: Professional Experience
The professional experience section of your social work resume is the heart and soul of your resume. You have the best shot at striking gold with your dream job if you are able to impeccably manipulate this section to your advantage.
The professional section of your resume for social workers is ideal as it endorses your social worker resume skills.
This section covers the length & breadth of your social worker resume skills and leaves no stones unturned to communicate your skills as a professional.
This section is essential as it tells the recruiter where you worked, in what capacity you have worked, for how many years you have worked, and what skills you have cultivated over the years. Based on these parameters, a recruiter decides if you should get shortlisted or not.
Your job before you get the job is to ensure that you have done everything in your power to nail this section.
Heres what you can do to accomplish this:
- Use the STAR format to structure your resume.
- Use points to communicate your roles & responsibilities.
- Use grouping & highlighting alongside points to maximize the impact of your resume.
Career Change Social Work Objective Statements
- Attentive and caring nurse with over 12 yearsâ experience in the medical industry seeking employment as a Social Worker at FraiCare Co. to provide support to patients and families, evaluate the health status of patients, and coordinate visits.
- To apply my six years of community building experience, negotiation skills, and tenacity in the social work environment in a Social Worker role with BlueVest, to encourage the development of community-based support structures for victims of abuse.
- Desiring to apply a results-orientated approach developed over 12-year career in advocacy to assist the company with its supportive housing program in the position of Social Worker, to ensure the safety of children and families in marginalized communities.
You may have noticed that the most intriguing social worker objective statements will directly inform the reader which skills the applicant is bringing to the table, and how it will benefit the company or group. This is a tried and trusted method to follow when crafting your objective statement, as it alerts the recruiter that you have read and understood the job requirements. It will almost certainly get your resume noticed and get you that elusive interview.
Recommended Reading: How To Update Your Resume
Listening Is Half The Communication Process
We cannot stress the importance of active listening enough.
Why? To assess each case that you are assigned, youll need to listen and understand their experiences before you can work out a solution.
For this solution to be effective, the people you work with need to trust you and open up to you.
Neither is doable if youre not an expert in effectively listening to those around you.
Thats why career advisors, professors, and trainers alike stress the importance of knowing how to listen, no matter the field of social work you are in.
How To Format Your Social Worker Resume
A well-formatted resume is your first impression to potential employers, so formatting is your golden ticket to securing an interview. Hiring managers sift through countless applications daily, so readable and comprehensive resumes have the best chance of moving forward.
Present your achievements, competencies, and education in a logical way that responds to your prospective employer’s criteria. When crafting your social worker resume, you must consider:
- Reverse-chronological, functional, or combination/hybrid formatting
- Contact information and header presentation
- ATS and readability
Read Also: How To Write An Effective Resume
Lead Social Worker Resume
Summary : 28+ years of extensive experience as a Social Worker. Seeking to secure a position with a company where my education and past experience can be utilized for the mutual benefit of my employer and myself.
Skills : Excellent Written and Oral Communication, Project Management, and Overall Organizational, Computer Software Expertise, Advanced MS Office Applications, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access.
How To Write A Perfect Social Worker Resume
If youre familiar with the world of social workers, you know that this isnt a career path for the faint of heart. Its one where you are working closely with people who need the most helpwith daily living, with poverty, with mental health, or with a variety of other life issues that need professional assistance. Being a social worker means you are someone who is tough but fair, committed to getting things done, and able to remain professional even with the most difficult or challenging situations. Whether youre just starting out as a social worker or have been working in the trenches for years, you need a resume that will show off those skills to the fullest.
Lets look at sample resumes from three different social workers: one just starting out, one clinical social worker, and a child and family social worker.
First up is Jason, who just graduated from school and is looking for his first full-time job as a social worker.
When youre writing your own resume, you want to make sure its telling a coherent story about who you are, what skills and experience you bring, and what you want to achieve in your next job.
Next up is Frieda, who is further along in her career as a medical social worker.
And our last social worker is Brady, who specializes in macro social work with children and families. Brady is experienced, but is looking to transition into more of an administrative role.
You May Like: How To Create The Perfect Resume
Social Worker Resume Templates
- 1+ year of experience working with Behavioral Health patients preferably in the hospital setting
- Solid documentation skills
- Experience in a Hospital setting
- Experience with Adult and Geriatric care
- Experience with Care Planning, Clinical Documentation, Entitlements and Concrete Services, and Intake
- 2+ years of experience with Social Service organization working with the Behavioral Health population
- Master’s in Social Service degree from an accredited school
- MSW, LMSW or LCSW
- Experience working with emotionally disabled individuals
- OMH Credentialing
- Active NYS Licensed Master Social Worker or Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Knowledge of Medicaid, Social Security and other entitlements
- Experience working in short-term/solution oriented modalities and groups
- Provide crisis intervention, short term counseling, and information and referrals for patients and their families
- Coordinate complex discharge planning needs and concrete service needs of patients
- Lead educational and support groups
- Provide the consultation related to psychosocial aspects of care as members of the interdisciplinary treatment team
- Serve as experts in community resource programs
- Act as liaisons to both public and private referral agencies
- Participate on the ethics committee
- 1+ year of experience in an ambulatory care setting
- Master’s in Social Work, LCSW in CT
- 2+ years of experience in group counseling
- Case management experience $
What To Include In A Social Work Resume
Social workers help people overcome difficult situations in their lives. When applying for jobs in this fast-growing field, a clear and well-written resume can grab a potential employer’s attention. A strong resume can also increase your chances of meeting for a job interview. In this article, we discuss what a social worker is, review what’s included on a social work resume, describe how to write one, and provide a template to help you write your own.
Don’t Miss: How To Add Notary To Resume
Social Work Resume: Personal Information
The 3 important things that you should mention in the personal information section of your resume for social workers is mentioned below:
- Professional email address
The personal information section of your social worker resume is the most basic element of your entire resume. It is easy to compose and does not demand a lot of your attention.
Hiration Pro Tip: Be extremely accurate when you fill the personal information section of your resume for social workers.
What Does A Social Worker Do
Social workers support the emotional health and physical wellbeing of children, families and other vulnerable populations. They provide counseling, coping skills and advocacy for their clients and client families. These professionals are capable problem-solvers who can identify or diagnose behavioral and emotional disorders. Social works often manage large caseloads and develop and implement care plans for the people and families they serve.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Resume Template In Word 2007
Advance Your Education To Increase Your Employability
The level of your education in social work determines how far you can advance your career.
For example, a Bachelors degree in social work will qualify you for entry-level positions, such as aging services or residential treatment.
Meanwhile, you need a Masters degree to become a Licensed Social Worker and practice your profession unsupervised. With a doctorate in social work or a Ph.D. in social work, you can get advanced training in research and policy analysis, and even teach at the university level.
This means that the higher the degree you have obtained, the better your employment options.
Social Worker Resume Samples
Social Workers are involved in providing social service to various kind of people to cope with their day-to-day issues. The Social Worker Resume typically emphasizes on the following duties identifying the needs of people who need help, assessing clients strength and support, developing plans to improve well-being of client, helping clients adjust to challenges and changes, responding to crises situation, advocating and helping clients get the needed resource, ensuring clients situation gets improved, and checking the efficiency of the service provided.
Social Workers typically should use their expertise and skills to help various kinds of people which may include drug users, victims of abuse, mentally disabled people, and differently abled children and so on. Successful resumes mention skills such as compassion, interpersonal skills, listening skills, organizational skills, problem-solving skills and networking skill. A Bachelors degree in Social Work will basically prepare candidates to embark in this career line.
Recommended Reading: Word Document Free Resume Templates
Key Takeaways For A Social Worker Resume
- Social workers can choose from many career paths.
- Your resume must get you past Applicant Tracking Systems before it reaches a person.
- Keep the layout legible and professional.
- Use your profile to express your professional personality and highlight your biggest achievement.
- Customize your skills section for each job listing using your master list.
- Turn your employment history into a story of growth.
- Dont leave anything up to chance: use the builder-tool to avoid any formatting glitches.
With resume.ios expertly designed resume templates, builder-tool, and this guide, you are on your way to securing your dream job as a social worker!
School Social Worker Resume
Why this resume works
- In your work experience bullets, mention your areas of expertise to create a targeted school social worker resume that will gain a recruiter’s interest.
- Use your resume objective to provide an engaging overview of your expertise within school systems as a school social worker. The resume objective is a great place to grab a recruiter’s attention so they will want to learn more about your experience.
- Within the experience of your school social worker resume, be sure to focus on the programs you implemented or supported. This will support the statements made in your resume objective.
You May Like: What Software To Put On Resume
Tailor Your Skills To The Social Worker Profile
The next thing recruiters want to see is that you have the right skills for the job. And the best way to show that is via the skills section.
Instead of just listing random skills, though, you want to specifically list the ones that are relevant for the role.
To do this, analyze the job ad youre applying for, and extract the top skills that are mentioned there.
Say that the job description is looking for the following skills in a candidate:
Social worker skills: counseling, conflict management, relationship building
So, when youre listing out your skills, make sure to include these – along with 2-3 other relevant skills.
Additionally, whenever its possible, mention these skills as part of your achievements or responsibilities. You can do that by adding them as verbs in your resume summary, or as part of your work experience section.
- Counseled teenagers as a social worker at Brooklyn Technical High School
- Practiced conflict management and resolution as a therapist at the Southwest Idaho Juvenile Detention Center
Havent Worked In The Field Before Internships And Volunteer Experience Counts
Lacking work experience doesnt automatically disqualify you from getting your dream job, especially if you have something to substitute it with.
So, if youve ever volunteered, or done an internship, make sure to include that in the professional experience of your social worker resume.
And remember – as we mentioned above, list your achievements over your responsibilities whenever you can. Heres how!
- Volunteered at the Court Appointed Special Advocate For Children.
- Helped 60 children in the process of finding permanent home environments.
- Did 30 hours of pre-service training before beginning to volunteer.
Are you a student struggling to create your resume? Our guide on how to make a student resume can help!
Also Check: What To Write On Profile For Resume
Empathy And Communication Skills
Empathy is the ability to understand someone else’s feelings. Much of a social worker’s day involves communicating to clients, advocacy groups, schools and social service coordinators. Your ability to be compassionate and interact with people helps identify you as a qualified candidate. Here are six important communication skills to include on your resume:
Engaging in active listening