Bookkeepers And Accounting Clerks
Bookkeepers and accounting clerks create and maintain financial records for a company. They might be responsible for recording transactions, updating financial statements, managing payroll, preparing invoices, paying bills, keeping track of financial records, checking all of it for accuracy, and alerting others, such as accountants or auditors, about discrepancies and errors. People in these roles may work in a larger finance or accounting department or for a smaller business without one of these departments.
If youre looking to land one of these positions you should have some mathematical and accounting skills as well as some experience with accounting software such as QuickBooks. Many organizations require some post-secondary education, preferably with accounting coursework. If youre looking to become an accountant or auditor, note that these are not administrative roles and require specific and more extensive schooling and often certification.
Common titles include:
Employment History Sample: Chart Your Growth
The employment history section of your medical administrative assistant resume is the nuts and bolts of your document. It is here that you impress by detailing the successes you have had in your career. Begin each bullet item with a strong action word followed by your actions and what you achieved.
If you are new to the job market, consider moving this section down to highlight demonstrable skills.
See resume sample content below for ideas on your employment history.
Medical Administrative Assistant, Bellemore Medical Group, New York July 2017 – January 2022
- Worked to optimize and streamline administrative processes to ensure the smooth operations of a medical group with over 5,000 patients.
- Collaborated with office staff to better support patients and their needs, leading to 5 percent jump in patient satisfaction rates in my first year.
- Assisted with appointment scheduling, rescheduling and follow-up arrangements.
- Coordinated tests, procedures and lab appointments for patients.
- Attended meetings as required by management and offered ideas and solutions to enhance administrative procedures.
Medical Receptionist, Caremount Medical Group, New York January 2015 – June 2017
What if this is your first job?
Good for you for jumping into the job market! You have a lot of skills even if you have not had a full-time job before. Remember that recruiters know they are hiring for an entry-level position and dont expect you to be a seasoned veteran.
Put Your Education On Resume For Administrative Assistant
Although experience and skills play the biggest role in the success of your job application, this doesnât mean that the education section is insignificant. The best administrative assistant resumes use everything you have to the benefit, and education isnât an exception. So, you have to ensure that your education section is not underwhelming.
To make your education look good on the resume administrative assistant you need to list it the right way. Start by specifying the name of the school, its location, and the years of study. Then, you need to indicate what degree you obtained and what you majored in.
Here is an example:
State University of New York, New York
BA in Communications
This is the basic info. Additionally, your resume for administrative assistant jobs can include some add-ons like:
- Honors and awards
Additionally, you should complement your resume with some soft skills for administrative assistant.
Also Check: How To Make Your First Resume Without Job Experience
Whats The Best Way To Add Your Administrative Assistant Experience To Your Resume
The way you present your administrative assistant experience is essential to your success.
In the sea of resumes, the hiring manager will only take one quick look at your experience.
If theyre not convinced by what they see, your resume will likely end up in the trash.
So, do not simply list your day-to-day responsibilities and duties. Be selective when choosing which responsibilities to include. List only those that meet the requirements stated in the job you are applying for.
Summary With Professional Goals
Example:Business Administration graduate with drive and initiative, thorough attention to detail, with excellent time management and task prioritization skills. Seeking an Administrative Assistant position in a globally competitive firm with ample opportunity for professional growth and career advancement. Committed to performing all tasks with the highest level of professionalism and competence.
This summary emphasizes the applicants desire to be a valuable member of the workforce.
Recommended Reading: How To Word Customer Service On A Resume
Administrative And Virtual Assistants
Administrative and virtual assistants and clerks handle support tasks at companies in almost every industry. Their exact duties will vary, but these professionals often have responsibilities like scheduling meetings and conference rooms, printing, mailing, filing, and doing a number of other tasks. Clerks often have a lower level of responsibility than assistants, but both can be entry-level positions. Virtual assistants, administrative assistants who work entirely online, are becoming more popular. Smaller businesses often hire for these roles, allowing other employees to spend less of their time on administrative tasks and more of their energy on strategy, business development, and revenue growth, Elliott says. Depending on your availability, you can often find both full- and part-time positions.
In the past, secretary was a common term for these roles and youll still see it occasionally, but many companies and professionals now consider it outdated. The perception of a secretary was of a woman who was at the beck and call of a stereotypical male boss , and most likely didnt do anything without being instructed to do so, Gallo says, while administrative assistant and similar terms acknowledge that the job is a vital support role. Plus the shift helps shed the gender-specific connotation secretary developed over time.
Here are a few position titles that are still common :
End With A Compelling Call
Close the cover letter by requesting a face-to-face meeting or a chat by phone.
Reiterate your offer and how you believe youd be the candidate to beat.
Heres a sample administrative assistant cover letter closing to use as reference:
Sample Cover Letter for Admin Assistant Jobs: Call to Action & Formal Closing
Could we schedule a conversation or a meeting to consider how my administrative skills and past experience can help hit all its targets in the coming months?
You May Like: Should You Attach A Cover Letter To Your Resume
Pick The Best Resume Format
Like your skills section, the resume format you use is important for determining whether ATS will properly read and file your resume. Aside from ATS, formatting will make it easier for recruiters to read your administrative assistant resume, which they will certainly appreciate. To this end, we suggest using reverse-chronological formatting, with your most recent work experience listed at the top of your resume. This will help hiring managers quickly evaluate your most relevant and likely most impressive work first.
These are a few other critical elements for your resume formatting:
- Page Length: Keep your resume to EXACTLY one page: no more, and no less.
- Bullet Points: Bullet points are a useful tool to break up large pieces of text when you’re describing your work experience. Aside from making your resume more visually appealing and less daunting, they’ll also make writing these sections much easier.
- Icons/Images: Have you considered adding icons or images to your resume? Don’t. Recruiters and ATS both dislike them.
- Job Title: Customize your job title for every position to which you apply. It shows that you care enough about the position to put in the extra effort, and hiring managers will appreciate it.
- Objective/Summary: If you include one of these, you’ll want to ensure it’s customized .
Should you bother with a resume objective or summary?
Let’s go over a few of these statements, including both poor and strong examples of each:
Skills For Iol Receptionist & Administrative Assistant Resume
- Variety of computer skills to support several department needs
- Computer skills – word, excel, and outlook
- Data entry skills and familiarity with business system software
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with people at all levels
- Effectively and clearly identify issues and communicate findings to head of team
- Advanced computer skills to include Microsoft Word and Excel
- Prior experience with an insurance agency
- Prior experience with multi-line switchboard
You May Like: Is It Ok To Use Personal Pronouns In A Resume
Basic Elements Of A Stellar Resume
- Job Applicants Basic Information
In bold letters, provide your name, address, and contact details.
- Objective Section/Career Objectives Section
In two to three sentences narrate your career goals, the salient qualifications, the specific job position you are aiming for, and lastly, how you wish to add value to the company that you want to be a part of.
- Skills and Characteristics
This is the most important part enumerate clearly the most impressive skills and qualifications you possess.
- Employment History
If you are an entry-level applicant, it is best to downplay this part by placing it at the last sections of your resume in this section, include the title of your previous job positions, the name of the companies, and the date that you worked there.
- Educational Background
Highlight this part if you are fresh graduate or if you are applying for an academic position.
- Reference Details
State 2â3 persons who were previously your employer, manager, or professor dont forget to include their contact details as well.
Now that youve learned the basic, you may start creating your resume now!
For more reference, check out our Medical Sales Resumes by clicking on the link provided.
Entry Level Administrative Assistant Resume No Experience
An administrative assistant is the best career option for entry-level job seekers because the hiring criteria for this job solely depend on an individuals strengths and abilities.
They only need to show themselves as an organized and committed individual to meet the requirements.
An Entry Level Administrative Assistant Resume acts as your ambassador when you cannot represent yourself in person.
For this reason, it is vital that your resume should be incredibly appealing, clear, brief, and accurate both regarding content and format.
In order to portray an excellent image of yourself through a resume, stay away from using standard MS Word templates or complex formatting. That is to say, keep it simple and to the point.
The following example will give you a basic guideline on how to make an Entry Level Administrative Assistant Resume with a professional appearance:
Sample Resume for Entry Level Administrative Assistant With No Experience
I am eager to effectively collaborate to attain the organizations goals.
CAREER OBJECTIVEExceptionally talented Administrative Assistant seeking employment at Ecuador Roots. Bringing sharp knowledge of general office procedures to ensure smooth office operations while satisfying all stakeholders.
AAS Degree in Administrative Support TechnologyTidewater Community College Park City, UT | 2021Coursework
Recommended Reading: When Will Mail Service Resume In Houston
What Administrative Assistant Resume Layout Should You Use
Even before they read your resume header or your name, the hiring manager or recruiter is going to see the overall layout and design of your resume.
In essence, this is your first impression, so make it a good one.
Here are your resume layouts to consider:
- Basic layout – This single column layout is ideal for entry-level administrative assistants as it looks great even with less content on the page.
- Professional layout – If youre looking for an admin job at a larger and more conservative corporation, this layout is all about classic style and showing just the right amount of content.
- Simple layout – More senior administrative assistants need to strike a balance between showing off their extensive experience and not overwhelming the reader. This more condensed layout does just that.
- Creative layout – If youre applying for an admin position at a creative agency, startup, or other company that values creativity, this more modern layout is ideal.
Whichever admin resume layout you choose, just be sure to consider these elements:
- Ensure it shows your most relevant info first .
- It should be easy to read and only include essential information .
- More organizations are using ATS , so make sure your format works with them
- ATS also expects PDFs, so use that format when sending your resume
Of course, after a recruiter sees your resumes overall layout, the next place their eye is going to move is to your resume header. Thats why its essential you nail it.
Senior Administrative Assistant Resume
Why this resume works
- When you’re in a senior role, you need to demonstrate that you’ve taken on more responsibility throughout your career.
- For this reason, a reverse-chronological resume format will serve your interests best, as it unfolds your most recent work history first.
Related Resume Guides
Don’t Miss: What Format Is Best To Send A Resume
Skills For Administrative Jobs
The skills youll need for a given administrative job will depend on the position, team, and company you work for, but here are a few of the most common skills that will help you across the board.
Employers will look for some or all of these skills and qualities in administrative hiresno matter what type of role youre looking for. Here are some of the most common categories of jobs for administrators, plus specific titles to look for and links to search for job openings on The Muse.
Skills For Receptionist / Administrative Assistant Resume
- Strong time management, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Proven experience with Microsoft Office products
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, with an ability to become familiar with firm-specific programs and software
- Prior receptionist or administrative experience
- Exceptional accuracy and detail oriented skills required
You May Like: How To Mention Languages In Resume
How To Write Receptionist / Administrative Assistant Resume
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant role is responsible for computer, organization, interpersonal, customer, microsoft, organizational, administrative, outlook, software, word.To write great resume for receptionist / administrative assistant job, your resume must include:
- Your contact information
- Skill listing
Administrative Assistant Resume Examples
Administrative assistants are the lifeblood of many offices, providing support for everything from making event arrangements to ordering supplies. Some administrative assistants may serve as support for an entire organization while others may work with specific individuals or departments. Jobs for administrative assistants are expected to decline 7%, or by 276,000 jobs, between 2018 and 2028, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. With this in mind, professionals should be aware that administrative assistant jobs will not be as widely available in the future as they are today.
As the field declines, administrative assistant roles will only become more competitive. Due to the lower barriers to entry, these jobs can be quite popular, especially among new college graduates. However, a strong resume can help you land the perfect job for you. Below, you can find resume samples for both experienced and entry-level job seekers, including tips and best practices.
You May Like: What Is A Summary On A Resume
Choose The Best Format For An Administrative Assistant Resume
To get started with your resume administrative assistant, you need to pick the right layout first. Hiring managers have hundreds of applications on their desks. Every applicant has something to offer, but only a few get noticed. Thus, if you fail to grab the recruiterâs attention right away, youâll never land an interview. First, recruiters always quickly scan applications to find candidates that match the job best. Thatâs the main reason why the formatting of your resume matters so much.
A perfect administrative resume format should spotlight your biggest accomplishments, skills, and experiences. Our experts recommend you stick to the reverse-chronological format that puts your most recent accomplishments first. It is the most professional and effective format.
As for the template, the ideal sample resume administrative assistant template is simple, clean, easy to scan, and well-organized. It should be clearly structured with headings and have plenty of white space.
What Should I Put On My Entry Level Resume For An Administrative Assistant
- there are core competencies that are common to the vast majority of job opportunities. Know what these are and highlight them in your resume
- even if you lack work experience, these competencies, such as planning and organizing, are evident in other aspects of your life including your studies, your extracurricular activities and any part-time or volunteer work you undertake
- solid computer skills are required in administrative jobs, include a specific section in your resume for these
- check that your resume is presented in a clear and concise format. Avoid trying to “pad out” your resume because you lack work experience
- be confident of your ability to do the job. As an enthusiastic entry level employee you bring a number of key strengths to the job including energy, motivation, versatility and a positive attitude
- review these standard administrative assistant duties to make sure your resume is relevant to the job you are applying for
Recommended Reading: Should A Resume Include References
Education On A Receptionist / Administrative Assistant Resume
Make sure to make education a priority on your receptionist / administrative assistant resume.If youve been working for a few years and have a few solid positions to show, put your education after your receptionist / administrative assistant experience.For example, if you have a Ph.D in Neuroscience and a Master’s in the same sphere, just list your Ph.D. Besides the doctorate, Masters degrees go next, followed by Bachelors and finally, Associates degree.
Additional details to include:
- Year of graduation
- Location of school
These are the four additional pieces of information you should mention when listing your education on your resume.
Responsibilities For Receptionist Administrative Assistant Resume
- Solid data entry skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and apply new skills in order to increase value to organization
- Enjoys showing off their entrepreneurial skills: an eagerness to learn, improve process, and ownership of responsibilities with little supervision
- Demonstrate dependability through good attendance and adherence to timelines and schedule
- Greet visitors and demonstrate diligent, thoughtful planning and pragmatic gate keeping
- Experience providing administrative support
- Ensure that facilities remain professional and in good working order
- Effective handling of everyday tasks, issues and/or inquiries received at the reception desk from customers, viewers, callers and visitors
Read Also: How To Post Your Resume On Linkedin