Outline Your Professional Profile
The next part of your resume is your professional profile. This can be several well-constructed sentences that highlight who you are and why you’re the best individual for the position. Alternatively, you can also use bullet points to outline your professional achievements. Then, focusing on the job description details, summarize your most important abilities, accomplishments, and characteristics that present you as a highly qualified applicant.
Choosing The Best Resume Format For A Government Worker
Given the structure of government job applications, we highly recommend using the reverse chronological order resume format. This format is favored by recruiters and the ATS your resume will have to get past in order to reach the hands of a person.
Although other formats exist, you should use them only in special circumstances. If it is your first job, you are a career-charger or have many years of experience under your belt, check out the resume formats we suggest as chronological alternatives or hybrids.
Unless you have highly specialized production skills or work in a highly technical field, the functional resume format should not be your first choice. It offers a means to emphasize niche or highly complex skills by expanding the skills section and reducing the employment history section in exchange.
What Is A Federal Resume
A federal resume is a detailed account of previous work experience and is required if you’re applying to a . It appears similar to a private sector resume with sections for work experience and education. However, a federal resume template differs in its structure, length and content. It must also include all information required for the job you’re applying for.
Also Check: What To Write In A Resume
Promulgate Your Sense Of Purpose And Customize Your Content To The Job Ad While Remaining Distinctive Enough To Beat The Competition
So many different functions exist within government agencies and departments, which makes it possible to say: Theres something for everyone. But people who work in government often have a unifying traita particular acuity for civil service, all combining efforts to serve a greater societal good. Weve put together a government resume template that should give you an idea of how to structure yours, but feel free to go longer . Recruiters in government like to see detailed breakdowns of your knowledge and skillsand how youve knuckled down to put them to productive use.
Specifically, you should include:
- a government professional summary that mentions your level of experience and relevant accomplishments
- how you meet the qualifications from the job notice
- stats, numbers, and percentages
- security clearances, specialized training, languages, and volunteer work
Again, grab some pointers from our government resume template and then endeavor to assiduously match your experience and abilities with the type of job youre applying to. This will improve your chances of getting an interview.
Organize Your Resume To Make It Easy To Understand
You need to organize your resume to help agencies evaluate your experience. If you dont provide the information required for the hiring agency to determine your qualifications, you might not be considered for the job.
- Use reverse chronological order to list your experiencestart with your most recent experience first and work your way back.
- Provide greater detail for experience that is relevant to the job for which you are applying.
- Show all experiences and accomplishments under the job in which you earned it. This helps agencies determine the amount of experience you have with that particular skill.
- Use either bullet or paragraph format to describe your experiences and accomplishments.
- Use plain languageavoid using acronyms and terms that are not easily understood.
Read Also: How To Send Your Resume To Someone
Use Similar Terms And Address Every Required Qualification
Your experience needs to address every required qualification in the job announcement. Hiring agencies will look for specific terms in your resume to make sure you have the experience theyre seeking.
For example, if the qualifications section says you need experience with MS Project you need to use the words MS Project in your resume.
What Is A Government Resume
A government resume is a specialized resume that consists of a three- to seven-page analysis of your professional qualifications. There are many similarities between a government resume and a regular resume. For example, both require you to detail your previous education, work experience and skills that relate to the job youre applying for. However, a government resume has additional requirements that help hiring personnel to verify your employment history and determine your suitability for the role, organization or department.
This type of resume also requires you to list your salary, how many hours you worked per week for each position as well as the name and contact information of your immediate supervisor. You must also include your General Scheduled rate, which is a pay grade assigned to current employees of the government and determines your pay rate and the position youve held with an organization. This scale goes from 1 to 15, showing how pay increases at each rank for the position.
Read Also: What Is The Normal Font Size For A Resume
Experience For Government Affairs Strategist Resume
- Coordinate logistics for meetings with policymakers and/or stakeholders, including organizing and developing support materials , managing room reservations, scheduling and other tasks
- Assist with a variety of stakeholder outreach projects designed to inform and educate policymakers, including developing and managing outreach lists, drafting written messages, and managing dissemination process
- Perform a variety of administrative tasks related to external affairs and event management, including assisting with public events and briefings as needed
- Represent the Urban Institute by attending hearings, briefings, and other events
- Maintain records for the External Affairs team related to policymaker and/or stakeholder engagement, and track analytics to measure impact
- Perform other tasks as assigned related to the functions of the External Affairs team
- Advise and support the Mallinckrodt Inc. Political Action Committee through solicitations, presentations, and education programs
- Participate in and help manage the companys political program, including through PAC and corporate political contributions, to support candidates who share the companys goals for patient access and a competitive business environment
Skills For Government Sales Specialist Resume
- Mentoring skills including ability to train new employees, facilitate peer learning and lead teams in problem solving
- Outstanding influencing, interpersonal and networking skills to drive collaborative culture at all levels within GE
- Demonstrating experience leading high performing Staff Strong Leader that Develops and Motivates Staff
- Selling skills – ability to navigate a complex software solutions sale
- Negiotating effectively with management to accept and implement recommendations where the proposals involve substantial agency resources
Recommended Reading: What Should My Resume Look Like In 2020
Experience For Director State Government Affairs Resume
- Assist in handling constituent case work and responses
- Comfortable working with senior management and partners at all levels within the Company
- Identify emerging policy / political issues to foresee business opportunities and mitigate potential business risks
- Compare public policy initiatives across geographies and create global issue briefs
- Monitor progress on implementation of key advocacy plans
- Provides strategic, political guidance and support to the MD and MOC. Contributes to the Subsidiarys Strategic Plan
Cv Skills Example: Attributes At A Glance
The skills section of your government worker CV is a great place to optimize for the ATS. Here you will choose your top 4-7 attributes. Make sure your CV contains the exact language from the job listing. That means reviewing the listing and matching your skills to those necessary for the job.
The purpose of this section is twofold:
Dont neglect soft skills
Your technical and learned job skills are important, but so too are the soft skills that make you a good employee. Consider adding one of these six that Randstad looks for in candidates:
Also Check: How Should My Resume Look Like
Skills For Director Of Government Affairs Resume
- Self-starting skills and vision to shape the role and work without day-to-day supervision
- Demonstrated experience coordinating large virtual teams that include internal and external partners
- Above ten years of solid experience in managing the government affairs agenda for large multinational companies in China
- Good understanding of the public policy environment in which Invesco operates
- Eight to twelve years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated experience managing relationships with Regulatory and Legislative branches of state government
Highlight Any Volunteer Experience
A volunteer experience section is optional to include on your government resume. If your work history doesn’t meet each essential requirement, you can include volunteer work to show your ability to meet the specified criteria of the position. Including volunteer work also highlights your interest in serving your local community or broader areas. Similar to your work experience section, include your position title and dates of volunteer work. Follow this with the name of the organization, city, and province.
You May Like: New Real Estate Agent Resume
Read The Job Description Carefully
It is important to read the job description carefully before writing a cover letter to get all the necessary details. Make sure you know which skills and experiences are necessary for the position. Consider which of these requirements you have and how you can highlight them in your cover letter. The job description also informs you about other job requirements. Some job descriptions have specific requirements for a cover letter, so ensure you check for these and follow the instructions carefully.
Responsibilities For Government Compliance Analyst Resume
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with full MS office product portfolio
- Strong knowledge of business protocol, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills, both in spoken and written word
- Strong document drafting ability with good presentation skill
- Good research and report writing skills
- Use effective methods and well-developed interpersonal skills to collaborate with and gather information from experts at all levels of organization
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills Ability to think creatively and bring economic analysis to policy issues
- Excellent communications skills in English, both oral and written, is required
Recommended Reading: How To Write A Resume For Internship
List Your Academic History
When listing your education, you want to begin by highlighting any formal academic training that the job posting has listed as an asset. Then list out any essential educational requirements, followed by additional education. If you’re an entry-level candidate, you can include further details that help support your qualifications, such as coursework relevant to the position. You can also include any academic programs you are currently pursuing by providing an expected graduation date.
For example, suppose a government job posting has identified a bachelor’s degree in business administration as an essential requirement. They have listed a bachelor’s degree in computer science as an asset. You have both academic qualifications. You want to list your computer science degree first, followed by your business administration degree.
Employment History Sample: Direct Your Message
In the employment history section of your resume, which most likely will be organized in reverse chronological order, stick to the facts without wasting words . Here you detail your job responsibilities and achievements in bulleted items using direct, simple language. Make sure each item illustrates that you can perform the duties your new job will entail.
First, compile a list of all the jobs you have had that relate to the job you seek. Consider your responsibilities and achievements in each position. Then, as you begin to write, focus on the outcomes of your actions and the problems you solved. Use data and details to strengthen your claims.
Try the STAR format for organizing this section. Relate the Situation, explain your Task, tell what Action you took and detail your Results.
Below you will find an adaptable employment history resume sample.
Read Also: Do You Need A Resume For Your First Job
What Is A Government Job Resume
A government job resume is a formal document for application to a federal, provincial, or regional government position. It’s similar to other professional resumes regarding your skills and work history and has a strong focus on the essential requirements for the job. A government resume lists your essential and asset qualifications for the recruiting manager to identify quickly. You also include your formal education, professional profile, awards, and other government job information, if applicable, such as security clearance or language proficiency.
Within government job postings, there is typically a list of crucial qualifications or skills followed by qualities that would be an asset. When you format your resume with a focus on the skills and abilities mentioned in the government job posting, you can improve your chances of making it through the screening process and landing an interview. Most federal and provincial jobs use an automated screening process, looking for keywords and phrases in your application.
Related:How To Create a Perfect Resume
Research The Government Agency
Government jobs fall under different agencies. Each agency has different missions, programs, and sets of values. Once you learn more about the agency, you can align your goals and mindset. It helps to improve your chances of getting an interview call. For example, if you are applying for a public safety position, you can express how you value your community’s safety.
Avoid focusing on a particular agency program in your cover letter unless the job post specifies it. Expressing your interest in a specific program shows your passion, but it narrows the scope of your cover letter. A wider scope may lead to the agency considering you for other available roles.
Also Check: Software Engineer Resume Examples
Responsibilities For Director Government Sales Resume
- Excellent Korean communication skill and professional fluency in English business writing and speaking
- Timely and accurate sales forecasting skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills, including pivots, vlookups, sumif, and concatenate functions
- Evangelist, great presenting skills and able to lead conversations
- Team Building / Facilitation Skills
List Any Professional Development Training
List any professional development training that is specific to the job position. This section is optional but can provide further credibility to your expertise by showing your willingness to continue improving your skills and knowledge. If you include this section, begin with the title of the training you completed, the facility that provided the education, and the date you finished. This is an excellent opportunity to highlight essential or asset experience not listed in your work history section.
Read Also: How To Write A Resume Letter
Skills For Government Compliance Analyst Resume
- Experience communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing, about the intricate analysis used to make records release determinations
- Demonstrated business focus and partnering skills
- Excellent time-management, organizational and record-keeping skills
- Good Polish and English writing skills
- Strong data analysis skills and understanding of information technology
- Excellent analytical capabilities, writing skills, and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to handle conflict and to work with others that have opposing views
- Excellent listening skills with an ability to uncover needs and identify opportunities
- Excellent computer skills including competency with Microsoft Office Suite products
Key Takeaways For A Government Worker Resume
Recommended Reading: When Will Daytona 500 Resume 2021
Before You Get Started
Read the entire job announcement. Focus on the following sections to understand whether or not you qualify for the position. This critical information is found under:
- Duties and Qualifications
- How to Apply
- How You Will be Evaluated
Make sure you have the required experience and/or education before you apply. Hiring agencies use the job announcement to describe the job and the required qualifications, including:
- Level and amount of experience
Create A Stellar And Interview
The Headline format used by CareerPro Plus with USAJOBS applications has helped HR professionals in the federal government to hone in on the applicants qualifications. Additionally, 30+ years of information and expertise is shared with our clients so you get an even better leg up.
If youre transitioning into civilian life and looking for a job, browse our sample resume examples for the security, technology, government and other fields. CareerProPlus has helped thousands and thousands of military personnel transitioning to a federal job and submit job applications in every career field. No matter what your career goals, our team provides resume writing services, training and assistance submitting a job application that highlights your unique abilities. Contact us today to make your career goals a reality.
Americas Leading and Most Trusted Resume Writing, Career Coaching and Training Team!
- 30 Years of Writing Experience
- 65,000 Satisfied Customers
- Federal Keyword and Content Writing Experts
- Cost ROI Ratio: Excellent
Don’t Miss: How To Make Resume From Linkedin Profile
S To Write An Effective Government Job Resume
Related: How to Format a Resume for Success in 5 Easy Steps
In this video, we show you how to craft the perfect resume in five easy steps so recruiters can find you.
Government jobs require a specialized resume that focuses heavily on the essential and asset requirements for the position. There are specific elements to include in your resume besides the traditional sections when applying for a government job. Understanding how to write an effective resume for a government job can help you pass the screening process and potentially land an interview in this highly competitive space. In this article, we discuss the definition and purpose of a resume specifically designed for a government job application, the nine steps to writing a government resume, and a template to help create your own.