Advice For Your Janitor Job Interview
No matter how many times you have attended an interview, you still need to prepare for one. There is nothing that turns off an interviewer than to meet an interviewee who is not fully prepared. A person who is not prepared will appear at the venue dressed casually and provide irrelevant answers. To avoid making that mistake the following tips should be used.
Have a Great Janitor Resume
The secret to a successful job application is a great resume that reflects your strengths, experience and qualifications in regard to the job you are applying. After learning what to include in your resume, you should then go through the job description so as to find out what the company is looking for in an individual. Only then should you make your resume, addressing each important point that the company has indicated. This will make your resume relevant to the job description and improve your chances of getting the position. Ensure that you go through the resume after you are through writing it to double check whether there are any grammatical or spelling errors in it.
Do Your Homework
Interview Questions That You Might Face
The following list of common questions does not in any way mean that they are the only ones you should prepare for these are just a sample of what you should expect. Therefore, when preparing for the answers, you should have broad answers rather than cramming the exact questions. These are some of the questions to expect:
Spice Up Your Appearance
S Cleaning / Organizing Rolesresume Examples & Samples
- Will clean and degrease all external parts of a work area as directed by supervision and or maintenance
- Will need to have strong communication skills
- Will need to work in a fast pace environment
- Will need to work with all team players in an effort to drive innovation and change
- HS Diploma, GED or equivalent experience
- Has previous experience working in an manufacturing setting
- Additional Training will be provided
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 0 – 2 years experience in a laboratory, laboratory support, or medical environment
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and professional experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to adhere to laboratory policies and standard operating procedures
- Good cooperative and collaborative skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work without close supervision
- Sweeping, mopping, scrubbing or vacuuming, emptying dishwashers, use of heavy duty janitorial machinery
- Gathering and emptying trash and recycling
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the building grounds and parking lot by picking up debris, window washing and snow removal as needed
Cleaning Services Supervisorresume Examples & Samples
- The Cleaning Services Supervisor is a working supervisor who is responsible for supervising and coordinating activities of the cleaning staff within the venue. Duties may also include management functions
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite
- Attention to detail, quality and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Review of changes to equipment operating SOPs
- Assuring the fitness areas are show ready including routine housekeeping
- Facilitates equipment orientation classes
- Instructs members in proper exercise techniques and proper equipment usage
Don’t Miss: How To Email A Recruiter Your Resume
Maintenance Tech / Janitor & Upresume Examples & Samples
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree or one to three months related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- The maintenance engineer must be able to work with minimal supervision while performing all essential duties to satisfaction and company standard
- Job function to include assisting guests upon request, responding to all guest requests with diligent follow through in accordance with company guidelines and procedures
- Job functions to include performing repairs listed on work orders and following the work order process as outlined in the Green Shield Binder. Repairs must be made in a timely fashion and professional manner
- Job functions to include preventative maintenance inspections and repairs as outlined in the Green Shield Binder
- Job function to include maintaining a clean and organized boiler room, electric rooms, HVAC rooms, fire sprinkler rooms, in accordance with company standard and local ordinance
- Job functions to include maintenance engineer to respond to all emergencies at the property or sister location when asked to be dispatched by a manager
Knowledge Skills And Abilities Required
- Ability to understand verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment.
- Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Ability to understand written and verbal communications.
Recommended Reading: Template For Professional Resume
Choose Your Most Important Skills
Your resume objective should also tell the hiring manager what janitorial skills you’ve learned from previous jobs. Janitorial work requires the ability to clean thoroughly, communicate with teammates and use various cleaning supplies and equipment. Think about which tasks you would do most often for your employer and highlight relevant skills. For instance, if applying for a hospital, you might choose to emphasize your understanding of sanitation procedures. If applying to work in a school, you might highlight your ability to provide safe conditions that prevent slips and falls.
Here are several other skills that could be important to employers:
Leadership: Some janitorial positions involve supervising cleaning crews. If you have experience leading a team, you might want to let employers know.
Customer service: Janitors who work in hotels or in dining halls might regularly interact with guests.
Repairs: Janitors often assist with basic maintenance and repair tasks.
Communication: For overnight janitorial positions or for roles with little supervision, employers might value strong communicators who can follow directions and communicate well.
Polishing and handling: Restaurants, retailers and museums often require janitors who can polish and handle delicate materials or surfaces, such as display cases or wine glasses.
Polish Your Custodian Resume
As a custodian, you know the importance of cleanliness and order. Your resume benefits from those things too. Not sure how to neaten it up? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monsters Resume Writing Service. Youll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resumes appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiters first impression. Monsters experts will show you quick and easy ways to make your resume shine.
Don’t Miss: How To Describe Foreign Language Skills On Resume
Use The Janitor Job Description To Tailor Your Resume
Many job seekers overlook the value of the job description itself when they are writing applications. If you read the job description, youll find all the keywords you need to really make your resume stand out.
Look through the job ad and take note of the skills, qualifications and job duties employers are looking for. Then, include these details in your own resume to show employers that youre qualified for the position.
Heres an example of a job listing for a janitorial position, with keywords underlined in blue:
If these are tasks youve done, then make your resume-writing job easier by using the same wording in the job description instead of worrying about how to write your work experience section.
Heres an example of how you can use these keywords to write your work experience section with the corresponding keywords underlined:
Notice that while this example uses many of the keywords highlighted in the job description, it also uses some variation. Only include the keywords that actually reflect your experience. If they dont accurately describe your work experience or duties, simply change them so that your work experience section is fully truthful.
As more companies begin to use Applicant Tracking Systems , a type of software that digitally sorts and filters qualified candidates using keywords, its increasingly important to ensure that you use these keywords to make an ATS-friendly resume.
Cleaning Personresume Examples & Samples
- May be directed to assist with minor maintenance and repair work including painting, replacement of lights bulbs and fixtures , replacement of windows, moving furniture and equipment, repairing doors and gates, minor landscaping and related upkeep and repairs, and simple plumbing and fixture repairs/replacements
- High school diploma or equivalent is preferred
- Some cleaning experience and basic mechanical knowledge is desirable
- Must be able to follow both oral and written instructions
- Must be able to follow through and carry out work orders
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Individual needs to be reliable, thorough, observant, organized, flexible and courteous
- Physical requirements lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of equipment and supplies up 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. often, and up to 10 lbs. regularly
Recommended Reading: What Does A College Resume Look Like
Next Createa Janitor Skills Section On Your Resume
Your resume’s skills section should include the most important keywords from the job description, as long as you actually have those skills. If you haven’t started your job search yet, you can look over resumes to get an idea of what skills are the most important.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when writing your resume’s skills section:
- Include 6-12 skills, in bullet point form
- List mostly hard skills soft skills are hard to test
- Emphasize the skills that are most important for the job
Soft skills are also valuable, as they’re highly transferable and make you a great person to work alongside, but they’re impossible to prove on a resume.
Example Of Janitor Skills For Resume
Good Ways To Explain What A Janitor Does On A Resume
Your janitor resume is the employers first impression of you. It should clearly explain your work history and highlight key qualities that are searched for in a janitor, such as mechanical skills, time management, dependability, stamina and physical strength. List any relevant credentials or high school shop classes you took that could give you a leg up on the competition.
Use the resume format of your choice to explain your duties in summary or bullet list form on your cleaning service resume. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, or BLS, indicates that most janitors receive on-the-job training, so don’t be afraid to apply if your experience is limited.
Read Also: Build My Resume For Free
Manufacturing Engineering Team Lead
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Industrial Engineering
- A minimum of 6 years of manufacturing engineering experience is required
- Experience working in the Medical Device industry is preferred
- Experience working in a regulated industry is required
- The ability to read, interpret and utilize engineering drawings and electronic data for product and process development is required
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is preferred
- Knowledge of Process Excellence/Six Sigma or Lean is preferred
- Knowledge of statistical methods preferred
- Experience leading projects to in-load or transfer products by reviewing designs for manufacturability, procuring capital, defining tooling requirements, and developing manufacturing processes with project team members is required
- Must have the ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and be confident working with minimal supervision
- Experience in writing and executing design and/or process validations is required
- The ability to complete financial analyses for capital purchases is required
- The ability to lead and develop individuals that report to you within an organization is preferred
- The ability to work in integrated cross-functional product development teams is required
- Must have strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- This position may require up to 10% domestic and international travel.Process Engineering
Technician Railcar Cleaningresume Examples & Samples
- Operate steam cleaning equipment as well as blowers and power washers or other similar equipment to clean railcars
- Perform minor freight car stenciling, maintenance and valve and pressure head work as instructed and in accordance with relevant AAR and customer requirements
- Familiarity with industrial steam cleaning equipment, blowers, and power washers is highly desired
- Previous experience with operation and use of air monitoring systems is highly desired
You May Like: How To Write A Resume With Little Experience
Night House Janitorresume Examples & Samples
- Maintain and repair the physical structure of the Hotel and furnishings as deemed necessary by the Chief Engineer
- Inspect and adjust all systems on a daily basis, respond to life systems alarms
- Maintain the electrical switches, plumbing facilities and other fixtures and equipment to ensure smooth operations of HVAC, refrigeration, Natural gas and LP
- Respond to maintenance requisitions and guests requests to ensure guests receive quality service and furnishings
- Considerable knowledge of engineering policies, procedures, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, electrical and DDC energy management systems, license in one of areas
- Previous experience in a hotel, commercial building or building maintenance organization
- Ability to work in a typical maintenance atmosphere requiring heavy lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling
- Able to be a certified universal refrigerant handler or boiler operator, if needed
- Ability to communicate and develop an effective working relationship with fellow associates, managers, outside representatives, agencies, and Red Lion Guests
Operations Director Window Cleaningresume Examples & Samples
- Ensures the safety of themselves as well as those around them
- Loading and unloading the units
- Rigging/setting up the equipment in and out
- Operating equipment as required
- Completing field level risk assessments and other related paperwork
- 2+ years high pressure water, chemical cleaning, or vacuum truck experienced required
- Hydrovac experience is an asset
- G License required, clean 5-year drivers abstract
- Must be willing to be on call 24/7 and travel as required
- Safety Tickets preferred
- Completing pre- and post- trip inspections, field level risk assessments and other related paperwork
- Previous driving experience
- DZ License required but AZ license preferred, clean 5-year drivers abstract
- Cleans equipment which may include work tables, refrigerators, meat blocks and other equipment
- Returns clean utensils, pots and pans to their proper places
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs and buffs floors using heavy equipment
- Follows all security and safety procedures established by the Company
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs
- Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents
- Frequently immerses hands in water and water diluted with chemical solutions
Don’t Miss: How Far To Go Back On Resume
Cleaning Supervisorsresume Examples & Samples
- Carry out on-the-job training to all subordinate staff and monitor individual staff performance against set BICSc Standards
- Ensure that daily / weekly/ monthly/ quarterly & annual cleaning is carried out as per schedule
- Briefing the staff on Personal Hygiene, grooming and lost & found procedures on daily basis
- Liaise with MEP team for any maintenance issues
- See that his/ her team use the right chemical in a particular task
- Monitor the use of all cleaning machines on site
- Report any loss, theft, damage or strange behaviour/incidents to security or your department head
- Maintain a friendly working atmosphere among his/her team and other department
- Carry out any other cleaning related extra works requested by Cleaning Manager / FM Manager on site
- Assign staff tasks in their designated areas
- Oversee the activities of cleaners and machine operators on site and monitor to see that work is done safely, as per client requirements and in accordance with the BICSc standards
- High School Diploma / Diploma in any field
- Candidate with relevant training certificates i.e., hospitality, cleaning, HSE, housekeeping will be an added advantage
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience, last 3 years on a supervisory role
- Ability to supervise staff
- Good interpersonal and people skillsPeople who applied for this job also applied for
- Security Officer – Long Bay Forensic Hospital
Pick The Best Janitor Resume Format
Show the principal you wont overlook the small stuff.
Start with the chronological resume template. Its the best format for a resume because it puts your latest janitor job at the top.
To do it well:
- Put a header on your resume. In it, write your address, name, phone number, and your email.
- Know the best font to use for a resume. Thats Calibri. Georgia and Garamond are other good picks. Size yours at 1012pts.
- For the format of your resume, use PDF. The layout wont get messy on the principals computer.
Pro Tip: Dont worry if your janitor resume has a good amount of white space. That makes it easier to read, which makes it easier for the school HR team to hire you.
- Keeping janitor room and closets clean and organized
ABC SCHOOL DISTRICT | Custodian, 2014 to Present
Provide cleaning, upkeep and facility maintenance of grounds and buildings on 3-acre campus. Partner with janitorial crew to clean classrooms, offices, restrooms, cafeteria, auditorium, gymnasium and library.
DEF CHURCH | Custodian and Groundskeeper, 2010 to 2014
Coordinated with facility manager to clean building and grounds for church with approximately 450 members.
- Maintained cleanliness of sanctuary, offices, meeting rooms, kitchen, restrooms and gathering hall.
- Assisted with seasonal painting projects and loading/unloading of donated food, clothing and other goods.
XYZ SCHOOL | High School Diploma
Also Check: How To Make A Resume For Your First Job
Janitor Resume Examples Built For 2022
With this wide scope of responsibilities, it can be difficult to determine what’s important to a hiring manager and how to write your resume accordingly.
We analyzed countless resumes from all experience levels to help you get more interviews. These five janitor resume samples compound our knowledge of what works to help you find jobs in 2022, so they’re a great place to get started.
Why this resume works
- Since janitorial services can span nearly every industry, it’s important that your janitor resume clearly explains where you’ve worked . This will give employers a picture of the work you’re familiar with since industries differ in their protocols and procedures.
- Facility cleaning and minor maintenance support can be hard to quantify, but as much as you can, your janitor resume should emphasize your accomplishments with results-oriented data.
- How many floors or buildings did you manage? How many people were on your team? Did you always finish your tasks on time?
- These metrics can be rough estimatesthe goal is to make sure you demonstrate you know which metrics matter in your field.