+40 Resume Summary Examples
Have you ever wondered how recruiters decide which resumes reading and which ones to discard?
They scan resumes for up to 5-6 seconds, at most, and in that timeframe, they decide if the resume is relevant or not.
They scan for things like your career highlights, qualifications, and specific skills.
And unless they can see that youre relevant in a single glance, chances are, youre not getting the interview.
And this is where your resume summary comes in.
This is the first section theyre going to check. Look at it as an introduction to your resume.
Do this right, and your resume summary will be a giant flashing sign that says Hire Me!
So, are you ready to create a convincing resume summary?
In this guide, were going to cover:
- Whats a resume summary
- How to write an effective resume summary
- 40+ inspiring real-life resume summary examples
Customize For Your Experience Level
Each of the above example statements effectively sets up the skill sets, achievements, and even certifications/degrees that the applicants highlight throughout their resumes. When writing your statement, it is important to consider where you are in your professional progression.
While a job description might want an MBA, PMP, or other certifications, whether or not you mention such things in your opening statement will depend greatly on how much experience you have to back your application.
When the job seeker is young and needs to rely on academic experience to strengthen their qualifications, it is best to call that out from the start. Consider the example below:
BIOLOGY GRADUATE Blends lab management experience with academic training at the University of Florida to offer solid skills in clinical experiments and research activities. Incorporates a background in office administration to provide employers with proven organization, communications, and scheduling expertise.
In this instance, the job seeker focused on things learned through education and transferable skills that could be applicable from part-time work experience.
On the other hand, when the job applicant has strong experience, there is no need to rely on academic training any longer and it doesnt need to be mentioned.
What To Include In A Resume Career Highlights Section
A;Career Highlights/Qualifications;section of a;resume;is an optional customized section of a resume that lists key achievements, skills, traits, and experience relevant to the position for which you are applying. It;is also known as a resume summary.
Job seekers who have a lot of experience in their career field can benefit from adding a resume summary.;It is an effective way to highlight your strongest skills and to encourage the hiring manager to read more.
Also Check: Is The Corvette Factory Open For Tours
Retail Resume Summary Examples
- Experienced Assistant Store Manager with strong leadership, problem-solving, time-management and organizational skills that have been honed and expanded in a large customer focused retail environment.
- Highly organized and innovative Buyer with 15+ years of experience identifying opportunities for improved inventory management and reducing purchase budgets to increase revenue. Passionate about customer service and delivering superior products in a timely manner.
- Organized and intuitive Merchandiser with 3+ years of experience boostings sales and foot traffic by strategically organizing products based on price, popularity and style.
- Efficient and energetic Retail Manager with 15+ years of experience driving increased customer traffic and sales by creating a friendly shopping environment. Effectively instills customer service skills in all employees with comprehensive training and rewards programs.
- Responsible, dedicated Stock Associate with more than three years of experience processing store shipments, organizing the stock room and labeling and scanning merchandise.
- Hardworking Cashier with 3 years of experience providing quick and efficient service to customers, accompanied by a proven track record of professionalism and maintaining a welcoming environment.
Resume Summary With Years Of Experience
10 years experience working in the retail industry.;Implemented aggressive sales strategies and marketing plans to optimize sales and increase returning customer numbers.;Acted as assistant manager of womens high-end clothing department, working personally with customers as their personal shopper.
Currently taking courses in clothing design, sales strategies, and business management at Fashion Technical College, working towards degree in fashion design and business management.
Don’t Miss: How To Insert A Line Into Word
What To Write In Your Profile Summary For Resume
The question arises what exactly do you write in your profile summary for your resume?;
A profile resume summary describes the candidates skills, academic qualifications, achievements, and work experience. Its purpose is to give a sound idea of your qualifications in 3-4 sentences. Now, you must be wondering what to write in your profile summary for the resume?
We will learn this through the following examples of various professions.
General Guidelines to follow while building a resume summary are:
- Keep your profile short and precise. Two to five sentences in bullet form or a short paragraph would suffice. Think of the profile as an introduction to your career accomplishments and qualifications.;
- Keep the professional tone of the summary in mind. Your career highlights, education, qualifications, accomplishments, and professional summary should be adequately summarised.;
- Keep the profile section at the top of your resume page, above the work history, so that recruiters can view it while they are reviewing your application.;
Katie Reveals Her Expertise And The Satisfaction She Gets Sharing It Via Very Targeted Examples
Katie;stands out because she:
- Is attuned to her very specific audience property-seekers in Cape Cod, MA.;
- Conveys shes not just a real estate agent, but a trusted advisor too.
- Uses her interests outside of work to enhance her professional goals and expertise.;
- Maintains a very friendly and approachable tone.
Also Check: How Much Work History To Put On Resume
Format Your Cv With These Sections
Depending on the position to which youre applying, your resume or CV might highlight different things. But the following sections are mandatory and optional when you build your resume in English for a job in Germany.
Must-have sections for your resume:
- Personal information
Learn more about how to write your CV in English.
Why Use A Resume Summary Section
You should use a resume summary section when you want to highlight your skills, experience, and overall showcase your professional background to recruiters.
Use this opportunity to intrigue and draw them further into your resume by helping them get a quick overview of your know-how and how you can be a valuable asset.
Youre giving the job recruiter a glimpse into what you can potentially do for their business. And, depending on how good of a job youve done writing your summary, recruiters will either give you their full attention or click the x on their screen and go to the next applicant.
But I dont have much of an experience to write about. ;Yeah, well, rest assured, you arent alone. If youre just fresh out of school or youre doing a major career switch, you can always include your goals and objectives.
Recommended read: Resume Sections Everything You Need to Know
You May Like: When Will Disney Cruises Resume
Name And Contact Information
A popular approach is to utilise your name as the page’s title so that employers can quickly recognise your name and contact details. Incorporate your full legal name, professional email address and phone number in the contact information component. Be mindful to use a professional email address. You may also add a link to a professional website or curated online portfolio, depending on the profession you’re interested in.
Medical Resume Summary Examples
Nurse Resume Summary;
Registered nurse specialized in psychiatric nursing. Developed strong psychiatric-evaluation and treatment planning skills after 5 years of working at Hospital X. Experienced in administrative work, management, and training new employees.
Click here for the full nurse resume example.;
Medical Assistant Resume Summary
Certified Medical Assistant with 10 years of experience in working in a fast-paced environment, handling confidential paperwork, administering medication and providing quality patient care. Team-oriented with proven ability to create positive rapport with patients, family, and staff. Completed and submitted clinical documentation in accordance with hospital regulations, and experience in supporting diagnostic and technical treatment procedures.
Click here for the full medical assistant resume example.
Dental Assistant Resume Summary;
Licensed dental practitioner with 4+ years in helping dentists prepare, perform, and document procedures. Strong hand-eye coordination, with skills in 4-handed dentistry and working with patients.
Recommended Reading: How To Write A Resume For Cna With No Experience
What Are Combination Resumes
Combination resumes are application documents that you can submit to an employer when you’re applying for an open position. This type of resume format emphasizes both skills and accomplishments, along with recent work history. It often uses elements of the other two commonly used resume formats, including:
- Functional resume format: With a functional resume, you usually list required, relevant, and transferable skills that differentiate you from other candidates.
- Chronological resume format: This type of resume provides recent and relevant work history in reverse-chronological order, listing the most recent work experiences first in the professional history section.
Read more:The Ultimate Guide To Functional Resumes
Who Should Include A Summary On A Resume
People who do not have much job experience should include a summary on their resume to explain their situation. People with a lot of experience should include a summary to describe their skills in one brief paragraph. Those looking to enter a new industry may also wish to include a summary.;
Inexperienced workers, students, or new graduates would do well to include a summary on their resume. Students may choose to include their availability here, as their schedules are limited.
New graduates can include their course of study in their summaries, their specialization, and their goals for their first job out of university.;
For those switching to an entirely new industry, it is best to include a summary of their skills that may be useful as well as their reasons for entering a new field.
This will let an employer know the persons intentions, as well as give them some bonus points for their passion.;
Also Check: Should You Put Typing Speed On Resume
What Are The Keywords And How Can I Use Them In My Resume
;If you are searching for a job and working on a resume, you must have heard of keywords and scanning the resume for them. Now, since many employers use electronic means to scan through resumes, you have got to know how to modify your document. Include the words and use phrases that these scanning software tools will be looking for. With a little bit of research and experience, you can work on your resumes keyword density. This will improve your chances of getting your resume noticed.;
Foodservice Resume Summary Examples
- Motivated and inspired Cook with 15+ years of experience in high volume casual and fine-dining restaurants. Dedicated to increasing kitchen efficiencies and delighting customers while continually striving to improve culinary expertise.
- Punctual Delivery Driver with 3+ years of experience meeting strict deadlines in fast-paced environments while focusing on increasing productivity to drive brand loyalty.
- Prep Cook with fifteen years of experience in food handling. Expert at slicing, keeping inventory stocked and ensuring the cleanliness of kitchen counters and utensils.
- Adaptable Hostess with 3+ years of experience upholding excellent customer service standards across lunch and dinner service. Organizes seating and reservations with care to improve workflow.
- Organized and friendly Restaurant Team Member with excellent organizational skills and three years of experience in customer service, sales, inventory, stocking, cleaning and maintaining store compliance.
Read Also: How To Make Resume Template In Word 2007
What Is A Resume Summary Section And Why It Matters
Your resume section is a small text block that sits at the top of your resume — right below the header, which includes your name and contact details.
Within this block of text, you summarize all the excellent things about your qualification and work experience that will strike a chord with the hiring manager so that your resume can be moved to the âto be interviewedâ pile — or at the very least, moved far from the ârecycling binâ pile.)
If youâre wondering how a resume summary section differs from an objective statement, keep reading – youâll find your answers in depth!
For now, just know that in todayâs diverse job search landscape, an objective statement is considered a somewhat obsolete practice. Instead, hiring managers and employers prefer to see a crisp and informative resume summary statement instead.
The reason — Nearly every job seeker has the same objective, i.e., to land a job. So, by replacing that old standard with a summary section, hiring managers get more insight into who you are and what you bring to the table for their company.
Education Resume Summary Examples
Tutor Resume Summary
College graduate with a B.A. in English from University X, where I worked as an English tutor for 2 years. Strong understanding of grammar well as good essay writing skills. Helped freshmen proofread and write their essays. Taught English to international students online.
Teacher Resume Summary
Attentive and passionate secondary school social studies teacher focused on creating a positive environment in which students can learn and grow. Incorporates interdisciplinary knowledge in the classroom to engage students, strong knowledge of different teaching methodologies and developing lesson plans.
Click here for the full teacher resume example.
You May Like: Good Typing Speed For Resume
Types Of Professional Skills
Skills can be broken down into four main categories:
|Time Management||Positive Attitude|
Contrary to popular belief, hiring managers often care more about soft skills than hard skills, though both hard and soft skills contribute to your appeal as a candidate.
Hard skills, such as computer programming or accounting, can be taught using a combination of curriculum and hands-on practice. Whereas soft skills, such as a positive attitude or punctuality, are harder to teach.
Regardless of your background, hiring managers are usually flexible with teaching you the hard skills needed for their job, as long as you already have the right attitude along with the aptitude to learn.
Resume Summary Statement Vs Resume Objective
A resume summary statement is not the same as a resume objective. Both are a few sentences long, and are located at the top of ones resume. However, a;resume objective;statement tends to focus more on your own interests as the job seekerit emphasizes what you are looking for in a job or company.
A resume summary statement, on the other hand, communicates what you can bring to the table in the targeted role. It is a way to sell yourself to the employer.
You May Like: What Is A Good Typing Speed For Resume
When Should You Use A Resume Summary Statement
Ideally, you should include a resume summary when you have three and more years of work history. Thats because this section is designed to flatter your skills, expertise, and employment history.
If youre just starting out in your professional career and you dont have much to write about in your summary statement, a better option would be a resume objective statement section.
The main difference between a summary statement and a resume objective is what you focus on. The objective statement shows your future professional goals, while a summary statement focuses on your strengths, skills, and what you can do for the business youre applying to.
And even if the objective statement isnt your thing, consider using a substitute section. The Enhancv resume builder has tremendous resume sections like resume headers and key achievements that can help you present yourself in the best light possible.
Whichever route you go, both should show you in the best light possible.
While nearly all CVs youve probably seen have a resume overview, theyre not entirely necessary. Depending on the job position youre applying for what matters more is how its going to be used to increase your chances for an interview.
You can still build a strong application even if you dont have a resume summary section. Heres an example of an accounting analyst resume that has no summary, but still secured the job.
List Of Your Hobbies And Interests
Though optional, you can outline your hobbies and interests if they’re professionally relevant to your desired position. Research the company, figure out the interests that match the traits required and list those said interests to emphasise your skills. You can add a personal touch by including this section, though employers don’t typically expect or require it.
Example:*Interests: Hiking, peer mentoring, cooking*
Don’t Miss: Cna Skills List For Resume
How To Write A Summary Statement For A Resume
When writing a summary statement, think about your elevator pitch. For example, if you stepped into an elevator and saw the hiring manager who holds the keys to your dream job, how would you sell yourself during that 30-second elevator ride?
Consider the strengths, experiences, and accomplishments that are unique to you and write each of them down as you brainstorm. Using the job posting, determine what value can you bring to the company.
Examining patterns in the following resume sections can help zero in on your unique value points:
- Work History: What are some common threads in your work history? Look for patterns in company culture, size of the company and your role.
- Skills: In which skills are you proficient? Which of these skills apply most to the job?
- Accomplishments: What were some of your most impressive achievements in past jobs? If you can, find ways to quantify those achievements using metrics like years, percentages and dollar amounts. For example, Exceeded my sales goals in 2017 by $50k.
After compiling information from the job posting and your resume, you can begin putting together your resume summary statement. Remember to use active voice, action words, and utilize relevant keywords. Save space by keeping your summary statement below five lines.
When youre finished writing your resume, read through your summary statement from the perspective of a tough hiring manager, asking, why should we hire you?