Bookkeeper Resume Examples & Guide For 2022
Looking for a bookkeeper job? Excellent!
The thing is, so are thousands of others.
Competition for the top bookkeeping jobs is fierce, and to land that dream role, you need a resume that stands out.
In such a competitive industry, its important not to leave questions unanswered, which is why weve created this step-by-step guide.
- A job-winning bookkeeper resume example
- How to write a bookkeeper resume that gets you invited to interviews
- How to use the latest tips and tricks for a resume that stands out
Using our very own resume builder, at the top of the article, you can see a job-winning bookkeeper resume sample.
Now, keeping reading to find out how to create a bookkeeper resume of your own!
Full Charge Bookkeeper Resume
How confident are you feeling about your resume? If you need more help, you can always refer to the following resume sample for a position.
Complete School Name, City, St/Country: List Graduation Years If Within the Last Ten YearsComplete Degree Name â Major
Relevant Coursework: List coursework taken
Awards/Honors: List any awards, honors or big achievements
Clubs/Activities: List clubs and activities in which you participated
Relevant Projects: List 2-3 projects you have worked on
Resume Tips For Bookkeepers
No matter what, the most important rule to remember is that the hiring manager is not spending much time reviewing your resume, so you have to make all work and project experiences stand out through the use of numbers.
Outside of that, follow these five tips to optimize different sections of your bookkeeper resume:
- Customize your resume depending on the job description.
- Match your resume skills to the bookkeeper role to which you’re applying.
- More likely than not, you don’t need a resume objective.
- Quantify the impact of your work.
- Please, please proofread. This is a silly and too common reason not to get an interview.
Don’t Miss: How To Write Career Objective In Resume
What To Include In The Education Section Of A Resume
Writing the job description and skill sections was an integral part of making a successful bookkeeper resume, but how about the other sections?
Including an education section in your resume will undoubtedly raise the recruiters interest in your application and candidacy.
This section offers insight into your academic background and gives the reader an understanding of the kind of education and knowledge you bring to the table.
The education section is another chance to show your worth. This is especially true for entry-level bookkeepers that dont have a lot of work experience.
Heres a pro-tip, keep this section brief and list all the important aspects of your education with bullet points. Additionally, only state your GPA if its 3.7 or above.
This is a list of information to include in the education section:
- School Name and Location
- Relevant ExtraCurricular Clubs and Activities
Using A Bookkeeper Job Description For A Resume
While everyone who applies for a job as a bookkeeper will have different academic and professional qualifications and work histories, hiring managers still expect to see particular skills, certifications, and responsibilities standard to the position on your resume.
Your summary statement is often the first section employers read. Therefore, it is imperative to use this opportunity to showcase impressive hard and soft skills and accomplishments. Use your professional title to introduce yourself in the first sentence. Mention soft skills in organization, time-management, or other important areas to emphasize your work ethic. Be sure to incorporate industry keywords by identifying hard skills in areas such as accounting, budgeting, or payroll processing.
Bookkeeper Education & Certification
Many bookkeeping positions do not necessarily require candidates to possess an undergraduate degree. However, most employers do want to see some level of academic training. List any certifications, training programs, or relevant courses you have that apply to the job at hand.
If you have a relevant degree, list it, as this can be an excellent qualification that sets you apart from competing applicants. Include the title of your degree, the institution from where you earned it, and the year you graduated. Feel free to list special honors or academic awards to further stand out among other candidates.
Bookkeeper Duties & Responsibilities
Don’t Miss: How Many Jobs Should You List On A Resume
Bookkeeping Assistant Job Responsibilities And Duties:
- Assist and help bookkeeper in keeping the track of receivable and payable records
- Prepare and register daily transactions of a business entity in book and journal
- Process, start preparing, and record invoices and seller bills
- Assist the bookkeeper in keeping track of all a business units financial transactions
- Verify and evaluate the accuracy of financial records
- Manage everyday transactions
Fast Growing Service Company Seeks Bookkeeperresume Examples & Samples
- Work directly with the owners of the company in all accounting functions
- Supervise and, A/R, A/P, billing, all general ledger accounts
- Oversee the months close process analysis of monthly sales, gross margin and expenses, annual budgets and forecasting, monthly cash needs analysis and variance analysis
- Monthly postings including general ledger, receivables, payables, inventory, etc
- Quarterly reporting / forecasting / projections for bank , licensees and owners
- Interacting with the bank, overseeing the year-end audit process with outside auditors
- Manage over all receivables
- Strong experience in Accounts Receivable and Payable
- Knowledge of Bookkeeping principles
- Previous experience with Client Service and Financial Statement Preparation
- Solid Tax background
- Working knowledge of Prosystem and Quickbooks
- Associates or Bachelors Degree in Accounting/Finance
- Experience running Payroll
- Previous bookkeeping experience
- Good understanding of balance sheet and income statement classification
- Ability to produce accounts up to trial balance
- Previous experience of working in Practice
- An outgoing personality
- Production of accounts up to trial balance
- Upkeep of Sales Ledger and Purchase Ledger
- Bank Reconciliations, Cash flow reporting and VAT returns
- Other Bookkeeping duties
- Plenty of client contact
- Dealing with clients on a regular basis
- Assisting with Tour Accounting and year end accounts preparation
Also Check: How Should My References Look On My Resume
Skills For Accounting Manager / Full Charge Bookkeeper Resume
- Bookkeeping experience
- Accounting experience, preferably in the construction or real estate industries
- Experience working as a Bookkeeper
- Experience in the bookkeeping field
- Experience with multiple accounting platforms
- Staff Accountant or Bookkeeping experience
- Full charge bookkeeping experience highly desired
Top 15 Skills For A Bookkeeper Resume
When the hiring manager is looking over your resume, they want to SEE that you have the correct skills for the job.
Imagine this: youre the best bookkeeper for the job, but you get rejected because you forgot to mention that you are proficient at payroll accounting, which was one of the main requirements.
But dont list every skill under the sun. Instead, list the same skills in the job offer, plus a few others.
Out of ideas?
Here are some of the most common bookkeeper skills:
Don’t Miss: Should You Include References On Resume
Accountant / Bookkeeperresume Examples & Samples
- Receive, approve, and maintain monthly invoices, cut checks, reconcile bank statements and prepare monthly financial statements
- Assist with monthly and quarterly invoicing, receivables, credit card allocation and intercompany transactions
- Receives and records monthly financial activity
- Assist with preparation on monthly, quarterly and annual personal financial statement preparation
- Work with client advisors to provide them with reports and documents as needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Familiarity with bookkeeping software such as QuickBooks
- Familiarity with tax software programs
- Self-starter, highly motivated to personal growth and development
- Associate or Bachelors degree from an accredited college or commensurate experience
- Perform administrative tasks related to a range of insolvency cases
- Progress assignments within defined timelines
- Set up and manage caseloads effectively and efficiently
- Preparation and filing of monthly VAT and PAYE/PRSI returns
- Ensure cases meet statutory/regulatory requirements
- Bank reconciliations preparation
- Processing of payments to suppliers
- Research key information
- Tend to property management issues
- General office duties
- 5+ years of Bookkeeping/Accounting experience
- Degree in related field
- Experience with Aged Accounts Payable Reporting/Receivable Reporting, Cash Application, Client Billing, and Expense Reports
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks
Next Create A Bookkeeper Skills Section On Your Resume
Your resume’s skills section should include the most important keywords from the job description, as long as you actually have those skills. If you haven’t started your job search yet, you can look over resumes to get an idea of what skills are the most important.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when writing your resume’s skills section:
- Include 6-12 skills, in bullet point form
- List mostly hard skills soft skills are hard to test
- Emphasize the skills that are most important for the job
Soft skills are also valuable, as they’re highly transferable and make you a great person to work alongside, but they’re impossible to prove on a resume.
Example Of Bookkeeper Skills For Resume
Read Also: How Is A Cv Different Than A Resume
What Is A Bookkeeper
A Bookkeeper is responsible for recording and maintaining a business financial transactions, such as purchases, expenses, sales revenue, invoices, and payments. They will record financial data into general ledgers, which are used to produce the balance sheet and income statement.
The bookkeeper is generally responsible for overseeing the first six steps of the Accounting Cycle, while the last two are typically taken care of by an accountant. While there is a general overlap between the two professions, there are a few distinctions that are later discussed in this article.
How To Write An Entry
A bookkeeper is a financial professional that oversees their clients’ daily activities. Many people may choose to pursue a career as a bookkeeper as it can be a beneficial career that requires less experience than other careers in the finance industry. In this article, we discuss what to include in and how to write an entry-level bookkeeping resume and provide an entry-level bookkeeper resume sample and template to use as a reference.
Related:How To Pursue a Career as a Bookkeeper
You May Like: What Your Resume Should Look Like In 2020
Bookkeeper Accounts Payableresume Examples & Samples
- Processes invoices for national accounts, reconciling the vendor feeds with company purchasing records and issuing payment to vendors
- Provides customer service to vendors and Operations, responding to questions about past due invoices or servicing equipment at the stores
- Processes store level invoices from local vendors. Matches and verifies invoices to ensure accuracy and scans and indexes invoices for archiving. Verifies invoices for payment using the on-line invoicing system
- Prepares journal entries for the general Ledger and corrects any discrepancies
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Coursework in Accounting or equivalent experience required
- Ability to demonstrate and teach Pandas Mission, Values, and Culture
- Basic knowledge of accounting processes related to Accounts Payable
- Basic knowledge of enterprise accounting systems and sub-systems related to Accounts Payable preferred
- Familiarity with retail/hospitality industry and practices preferred
- Computer/technology skills and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Communication and listening
- Ability to actively participate before a group
- Ability to work positively with other departments and Operations
- Ability to identify problems and issues
- Ability to embrace change and continuous learning
The Guide To Resume Tailoring
Guide the recruiter to the conclusion that you are the best candidate for the bookkeeper job. Its actually very simple. Tailor your resume by picking relevant responsibilities from the examples below and then add your accomplishments. This way, you can position yourself in the best way to get hired.
Don’t Miss: How To Put Degree On Resume
How To Write A Bookkeeper Resume
What your bookkeeper resume should have in common with those submitted by other job applicants is the structure. It should fit on a single page and include all of these elements:
- Education section
- Skills section
Before elaborating on how to write the core sections, one at a time, here is some general advice for ensuring your resume scores high overall, and is actually read in the first place.
Accountancy qualifications are fiendishly complicated, and regulations are changing all the time, so your resume has to reflect your mastery of the detail. It probably goes without saying that a bookkeepers resume must be painstakingly accurate. When your life’s work is about detail, everything you do has to reflect that. Checking the spelling and getting the figures right in your resume will avoid any embarrassing moments during a job interview.
A bookkeeper resume should be easy to read and lack irrelevant text. Assume the hiring manager or future boss is a financial professional who will not welcome any waffle.
Your resume should focus on the quantifiable value that you delivered to previous employers. Maybe you improved payment results, increased free cash flow or made the sales ledger more efficient. Describe these improvements in measured before-and-after terms. Employers need certainty that they are working with the right numbers to make the right choice of which bookkeeper to hire.
Mention Skills On Bookkeeper Resume
Writing your bookkeeping skills resume section has certain pitfalls. You have to understand that recruiters donât need to know about each and every skill you have, and they donât want to. Donât make a common mistake by including a long list of your skills. Instead, read the job description, add skills that match it plus a few extra skills to complement your resume.
Another great tip for listing your bookkeeping skills is to blend hard and soft skills together. Today, employers and recruiters are paying much more attention to personal and interpersonal skills than ever. Therefore, it is important that your resume shows both your professional and personal sides.
Hereâs a list of the key bookkeeper resume skills and qualities that you can consider:
- Attention to detail
- General Ledger
Pro Tip: To make your resume skills section look impressive, donât hesitate to add some hard numbers to quantify your accomplishments. For example: Cut reporting costs by 30% by integrating MS Excel spreadsheets to track expenses.
Read more on How to list references on Resume. There is the latest data included.
You May Like: What Is Race In Resume
Use Action Words To Make Your Bookkeeper Resume Pop
- Responsible for
- Worked in
Look at ANY bookkeeper resume, and youll see these same words.
Since the key focus of this guide is to make your resume stand out, you should use some of these action words instead:
- GPA, Honours, Courses, and anything else you might want to add
B.A. in Accountancy
University of Chicago
- Relevant Courses: Accounting and Accountability, The Context of Business, Management accounting, Business Law, Auditing, Understanding Statistics, Financial Accounting Theory, Taxation, Reporting Financial Performances
- GPA: 3.8
Before we move onto your skills, lets visit some of the most frequent questions we get about education on a resume :
What if Im still in education?
- Whether you have yet to graduate or are still making your way through accountancy courses, you should still mention them. Just include the years/courses studied, and youre good.
Do I include my high school education?
- You should only include your highest education. The recruiter wont care about your school grades if you have an accountancy degree.
What goes first, education or experience?
- If you have any relevant bookkeeping experience, then that should go on top.
Still have some questions? Check out our guide on how to list education on a resume.
Responsibilities For Experienced Full Charge Bookkeeper Resume
- Managing bank and general ledger reconciliations, as well as payroll processing
- Reviewing general ledger accounts and correcting journal entries
- Handling reconciliations for bank and general ledgers, and processing payroll
- Filing, Scanning, Database management for client files and company files
- Communicating with clients and collaborating with partners
- Entering accounts payables and posting cash
Also Check: Does A Resume Need A Summary
Bookkeeper Resume Education Example: An Academic Foundation
The education section of your bookkeeper resume is where you list college degrees and other relevant training and credentials in reverse chronological order, from highest to lowest levels.
While college degrees are common for bookkeepers who work in larger companies, they may not be essential.
A number of industry qualifications can be pursued, and alongside their functional learning, bookkeepers can also gain an industry-recognized designation from their professional body.
The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers awards the Certified Bookkeeper designation to candidates who meet their requirements, which include at least two years of bookkeeping experience. The CB credential is awarded after an applicant successfully completes a four-part examination. The certification is valid for a period of three years. Recertification involves the completion of continuing education hours.
Typical Duties Of A Full
- Processing accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Managing bank and general ledger reconciliations, as well as payroll processing
- Performing month-end closings
- Tracking fixed assets and preparing depreciation schedules
- Supervising accounting clerks and junior bookkeepers
- Preparing the trial balance
Read Also: How To Write Experience In Resume Sample
Accounting Technician / Bookkeeperresume Examples & Samples
- Responsibilities inlcude, but are not limited to: bookkeeping, reconciling bank statements, working with QuickBooks and other trial balance programs, preparation of tax returns
- Organize and prepare work papers as supporting documentation to client deliverables
- Prepare bank deposits and reconciliations
- May prepare and review payroll, payroll reports, quarterly and annual governmental reports and financial forms such as 1099, 1096, W-2 and W-3
- Respond to routine client and management inquiries in a timely manner
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Review efficiency of local accounting processes and implement process improvements
- Prepare for Integration of Israeli processes into Sabre mainstream systems/functions
- Fluent English and Hebrew
- Knowledge and Experience of Israeli Accounting requirements
- 7 year Bookkeeping and transaction knowledge and experience
- Excel to intermediate standard
- Performs work conscientiously and diligently
- Knowledge of SAP System A must
- Knowledge of SAP Business One An advantage
- Bank reconciliations and Journal Entries including Accruals and Amortizations
- Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and Payroll functions
- Maintaining the General Ledger and preparing Trial balance
- Preparing monthly P& L reports
- Ad Hoc Reporting and Projects