Tailor Your Resume For Each Position
Once you have your resume ready for submission, its extremely tempting to submit that same resume to apply for all other job vacancies. But that can be a gross mistake.
Even some jobs within the same series often require different skill sets or experience. Take some time to tailor your federal resume to all individual positions you apply to.
Most of all, read each job announcement thoroughly. It will contain all the information you need to change on your resume to make it succeed.
Paragraphs And Bullet Points
Paragraphs are conventional structures that should be introduced by short, concise phrases starting with action verbs. Bullet points, on the other hand, serve to draw the readers attention to particularly important points on your resume.
But cluttering your resume with bullet points will look just as dull as using only paragraphs.
Your resume should contain some rhythm. Balance bullet points with paragraphs to produce an aesthetically pleasing and easy-to-read resume.
Always think about the message you want to convey and how you want it to be represented on the resume.
Mind The Additional Documents
Federal positions will commonly ask you for additional documents other than your resume.
If you miss one, chances are, youre going to get disqualified .
So, carefully read about the job youre applying for and ensure that you have all the right documents.
Some documents required for federal jobs include:
You should also avoid adding any sensitive personal information , as well as links to any websites.
4. How long should my federal resume be?
Your federal resume should be around 4 to 6 pages long, as opposed to the conventional resume which is 1-2 pages.
The reason for this is that federal resumes require a lot more background information about you than the traditional ones.
Read Also: How Soon Can You Resume Sex After C Section
Organize Your Resume To Make It Easy To Understand
You need to organize your resume to help agencies evaluate your experience. If you dont provide the information required for the hiring agency to determine your qualifications, you might not be considered for the job.
- Use reverse chronological order to list your experiencestart with your most recent experience first and work your way back.
- Provide greater detail for experience that is relevant to the job for which you are applying.
- Show all experiences and accomplishments under the job in which you earned it. This helps agencies determine the amount of experience you have with that particular skill.
- Use either bullet or paragraph format to describe your experiences and accomplishments.
- Use plain languageavoid using acronyms and terms that are not easily understood.
Use Numbers To Highlight Your Accomplishments
Use numbers, percentages or dollars to highlight your accomplishmentsyou can find this information in things like your performance reviews, previous job descriptions, awards and letters of recommendation.
When explaining your accomplishments:
- Include examples of how you saved money, earned money or managed money.
- Include examples of how you saved or managed time.
- Improved efficiency of document processing by 25 percent over the previous year.
- Wrote 25 news releases in a three-week period under daily deadlines.
- Managed a student organization budget of more than $7,000.
- Wrote prospect letter that has brought in more than $25,000 in donations to date.
These statements show in concrete terms what you accomplished.
Also Check: How To Make Resume In Microsoft Word
How To Read The Job Announcement
Federal job announcements are issued by the Office of Personnel Management or by individual agencies. However, they can be rather confusing if you arent familiar with the format.
Job Opportunities Announcements use a common 5-tab format that explains everything you need to know to apply for a specific job.
Every job announcement is unique. Read through each section carefully to make sure you meet the required qualifications and that you know how the evaluation process will look like:
- Overview: a short description of the job with basic information regarding salary, requirements, location, and the deadline for applications
- Duties: major duties and responsibilities of the position
- Qualifications and evaluations: types of skills/competencies you need to be eligible for the position and how your experience will be evaluated
- Benefits & other information: a list of benefits available to you as an employee
- How to apply: the required application materials and instructions on how to submit your application package
Important Facts About The Federal Hiring Process
- The federal government does have a standard job application. Your resume is your application.
- Hiring agencies use the job announcement to describe the job and list the required qualifications and responsibilities.
- After applying, the hiring agency uses the information in your resume to verify if you have the required qualifications stated in the job announcement.
- Once the hiring agency has determined who is qualified, they may use other assessments such as interviews or testing to determine the best qualified applications.
Read Also: How To Make Resume From Linkedin Profile
Entry Level Federal Resume
The federal sector recruitment team made just a perfect entry level government resume sample. Lets look at it closer and describe all sections it should include.
Accurately Format Your Cover Letter
FBI agent job applications have strict requirements and require accuracy and attention to detail. Study the FBIs job description closely and follow its specific instructions. In addition, use proper cover letter formatting:
Save your cover letter as a PDF. Using a PDF keeps your original formatting and ensures that your cover letter wont get filtered out by the FBIs applicant tracking systems software that picks up on job specific keywords.
You should also adjust your cover letter margins to 11.5 and left-align your text to make sure your cover letter has enough white spacing and is easy to follow. Adjusting the margins slightly is acceptable, but avoid making any large adjustments, or else your cover letter will look too packed with information or alternatively full of empty space.
Next, make sure you set your font size at 10.5 to 12 points so hiring managers can effortlessly scan your cover letter, and choose an appropriate cover letter font like Times New Roman or Arial to set a professional tone. Fancy fonts appear unprofessional and wont be understood by ATS software.
Finally, keep your cover letter between 250 and 400 words, or between three and four paragraphs. Using proper cover letter length shows employers that you can convey essential information while writing concisely, indicating you have superb communication skills. Hiring managers are too busy to read cover letters that are longer than one page.
Read Also: When Will Internet Services Resume In Haryana
Entry Level Federal Resume Sample
An entry-level resume of any specialty is always complicated to write. The main challenge is to describe short work experience as advantageously as possible. Nowadays, recruiters are full of those who are seeking work. They are looking through hundreds of resumes per day, so it is almost impossible to surprise them. Anyway, you shouldnt surprise anyone with an entry level federal resume but win the attention.
Here Is The Fbi Intelligence Analyst Resume Example:
Job Objective To secure a position as Intelligence Analyst with The Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Highlights of Qualifications:
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
- In-depth knowledge of office practices and procedures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office-Excel, Visio, Power Point, Word and Access
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
The Dannon Company, Inc., Colorado Springs, CO
- Researched, documented and presented specialized reports ranging in topics from local criminal trends to international threats.
- Evaluated and validated all new methods of analysis.
- Maintained and stored records of Analysis results.
- Applied and ensured strict chain of custody procedures in handling, analysis and preservation of evidence.
- Collected, analyzed and developed intelligence on the emerging trends, patterns and issues.
- Followed and applied Berico procedures and rules.
- Planned and directed large-scale intelligence analysis.
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Also Check: What Should Go In The Summary Section Of A Resume
Print It Out Before Submitting
Alwaysprint your resume for review. This is a piece of advice worth its weight in gold.
Your resume may look fantastic on your computer screen, but that doesnt mean it will do so when printed. And its very likely the employer will want to print it out, too.
Printing the resume means getting to see it from a different perspective. Theres a high chance youll spot some new spelling or formatting mistakes that you couldnt see on your computer screen.
Write Your Federal Resume Using Proper Guidance And Samples
When writing your resume you have to consider many things and include all required information. Format is also important especially with RESUMIX and online submissions. If you are good at putting your thoughts down on paper and have the time available you can complete your resume application as long as you fully understand the application process. I wrote many federal applications during my 35 + years of government service with great success. I was also a trained and certified federal rating official and reviewed and rated thousands of job applications.
A word of caution. Once you have your federal resume completed and posted on USAJOBS, its easy to submit that same resume to apply for other job vacancies. That can cost you a possible job. Before resubmitting that same federal resume for another job vacancy READ the job announcement thoroughly to insure that other duties and specialized experience are not required for the new position. If you find different requirements, and you possess the new duties or specialized experience, incorporate them into your resume. It is not unusual to apply for the same job series and find other requirements, or new or additional KSA statements.
You May Like: How To Send Resume To Google
Work On Your Resume Offline
Watch out for limitations of completing your resume through agencies or USAJobs resume builder. Work on your resume offline instead.
If you are an entry-level applicant,expect to spend at least 4 to 8 hourson your application and federal resume.
It will take you some time to collect all the information you will need, draft your work experience, tailor it to the job announcement and perform the final spell check of your masterpiece.
After you complete it, its just a simple matter to copy and paste your federal resume into an online resume builder.
How To Write A Federal Resume In 2022
Creating a federal resume is a lot trickier than a conventional one.
For starters, you need to make it way more comprehensive .
You also have to add very specific details, such as your GS rating, clearance, and more.
Want to learn how to create/build a federal resume the easy way?
- Whats a Federal Resume & How Does It Differ From a Conventional One
- How to Write a Federal Resume in 6 Easy Steps
- How to Look for Federal Jobs
So, lets get started.
Read Also: Where To Post Resume Online
Find The Job You Want
First, its important to know where to look for federal career opportunities.
A federal agency is required to post vacancies online at www.usajobs.gov if the position lasts 120 days or more. The website is a large online database containing thousands of government jobs. You can search for your desired position by location, job category or agency.
Create an account and receive automatic notifications of your saved job searches. This will help you to stay informed and prevent you from missing a good opportunity.
If you are interested in a specific agency, make sure to check its website for job vacancies too.
Which Service Is Best For You
It depends on many factors. With the proper resources you can write your resume yourself, time permitting. If you hire a professional resume writing service you will have to work by phone and online with the resume writer. Only you know the details they need to write your resume. An entry level federal style resume is typically 3 to 5 pages long and you must tailor you application and work experience to the job announcements required qualifications. One advantage of hiring a professional service is that once they complete your resume for you can use that same resume, with minor modifications, for other government jobs within the same occupational group that you apply for. Just change the job title and announcement number and review the new job announcement to check for additional or different required duties and responsibilities. If these changed you will have to incorporate them into the new application.
Also Check: Should You Have An Objective On Your Resume
Essential Tips To Highlight Your Entry Level Federal Resume
- Review the job announcements for keywords and try to use them in your paper.
- Include all your accomplishments, but always stay truthful.
- Use key adjectives and verbs .
- Concentrate on the mission of the company to translate your experiences.
- Show confidence and readiness to train.
Follow our entry level federal resume samples for inspiration and as a format example. In the template, weve provided the applicant does not have a long career history but placed her skills and ambitions in the limelight. This technique makes a positive first impression on any recruiter.
Next Create A Special Agent Skills Section On Your Resume
Your resume’s skills section should include the most important keywords from the job description, as long as you actually have those skills. If you haven’t started your job search yet, you can look over resumes to get an idea of what skills are the most important.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when writing your resume’s skills section:
- Include 6-12 skills, in bullet point form
- List mostly hard skills soft skills are hard to test
- Emphasize the skills that are most important for the job
Soft skills are also valuable, as they’re highly transferable and make you a great person to work alongside, but they’re impossible to prove on a resume.
Example Of Special Agent Skills For Resume
You May Like: How To Write A Resume When Making A Career Change
What Is A Federal Resume
A federal resume is a detailed account of previous work experience and is required if you’re applying to a . It appears similar to a private sector resume with sections for work experience and education. However, a federal resume template differs in its structure, length and content. It must also include all information required for the job you’re applying for.
Tailor Your Federal Resume To The Job
If youre applying to several different types of jobs, make sure to tailor your resume to each of them.
A very common mistake job seekers make is that they create a single resume for dozens of positions.
This is effective at times, but it very rarely works for the type of job youd LOVE to have.
So how do you tailor the resume? its pretty straightforward. Look up a job youd like to apply for, and read the responsibilities and skills required in great detail.
Then, cross-reference it with your resume.
In many cases, youll see that you DO have a lot of the required experiences , you just didnt mention them because you didnt have space, or because you thought other types of experiences were more important.
Now all you have to do is add the relevant information to your resume, and youre good to go!
Read Also: How To Write A Resume Cover Letter For Internship
Tips For Creating A Federal Resume
A resume is your ticket to a job. It must do two things qualify you for a job, and impress a hiring manager enough to offer you an interview.
In general there are two types/usages of resumes:
General information on how to enhance your federal resume: