How To Align Your Resume With The Job Description
Hiring managers are eager to find job candidates that meet as many of the job requirements as possible, ensuring the highest likelihood of success. To improve your odds of being selected for an interview, it is important to make sure your resume speaks to a specific job position as closely as possible. While most hiring managers understand that the majority of candidates will not fulfill every desired point listed in a job description, meeting as many requirements as possible can significantly increase your chances of successfully navigating the job search process. To up your chances of getting an interview, scan the job description for industry-specific keywords and phrases and then tweak your resume experience section to incorporate these.
Sample Administrative Assistant Skills Resume
Average Rating for this template
The position you are getting into is an interesting, challenging, and highly demanded one. To become an administrative assistant, you need to create the perfect skills resume that convinces the hiring manager that you are the perfect fit.
That is where we can help you. We have analyzed hundreds of administrative assistant job descriptions to come up with the perfect resume format that helps you land more job interviews.
Try our resume builder to create an amazing resume for your next Administrative Assistant job.
Languages In An Administrative Assistant Resume
Having fluency in a few relevant languages could come in handy for an administrative assistant in an international organization as they deal with multicultural staff and clients in other countries.
Mention the level of fluency for each language when listing the languages. Using our pre-designed resume templates, now you could easily state your fluency.
How To Write A Strong Administrative Assistant Resume Summary
Lets start with a really important part of all resumes the summary.
Your summary is where you highlight your skills and how they can bring value to the employer.
Lets look at Jeremys resume.
See how he describes himself as technologically savvy and goal-oriented?
This lets employers know he will be able to get up to speed quickly on any special technology they use and that hes committed to getting tasks finished.
Jeremy also writes that hes driven, motivated and skilled in prioritizing tasks independently.
Its great that hes highlighted his ability to complete tasks without supervision, because administrative assistants are regularly delegated tasks by supervisors and managers across different teams.
Above all, Jeremys summary is specific.
If you compare the specific and vague summaries below, you can see immediately which one is more appealing.
Emotionally intelligent and computer-savvy Administrative Assistant with an Associates degree in Business Administration. Strong interpersonal skills and a lifelong focus on supporting others and helping them shine.
Administrative Assistant seeking to use her skills and experience to benefit an organization that is making the world a better place.
Check out our writing a resume summary guide, if you want more help with this part.
Skills And Education Summary
Example:Administrative Assistant with a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration and a solid background working in different human resources firms. Well-organized and able to multitask while maintaining a high level of professionalism and attention to detail. Expert level proficiency in all MS Office applications.
This example mentions the applicants educational and professional background, both of which are relevant to an Administrative Assistant position. It also details hard and soft skills that are useful for the job.
Also Check: What To Put In Additional Skills On Resume
How To Structure Your Administrative Assistant Resume
An administrative assistant resume doesnt just stop at the job descriptions, of course. To create your professional resume, you need an administrative assistant resume sample to build from. Here are the sections you should include in your resume:
The resume header is part of the resume design. Its where you put your contact information with your full name, phone number, location, email address and your job networking profile links such as LinkedIn. Its the first part of your resume that a recruiter sees, so you need to make it eye-catching.
Resume summary or objective
Next is the resume summary or resume objective. This is a 2-3 sentence paragraph at the very top of a resume. In the resume summary, you will highlight your most important skills and accomplishments. However, if you have limited work experience, the resume objective would be a better choice. In a resume objective, you state your overall career goals.
Showcasing relevant skills is incredibly important to show that you meet all the requirements for this job. Here are a few bullet points you might want to include in your skills section:
- Make travel arrangements
- General record-keeping
- Good verbal and written communication
This list includes both hard skills and soft skills. Although administrative assistants can be entry-level jobs, theyre not unskilled. You need lots of skills to make it as an administrative assistant.
+ Best Administrative Assistant Skills For 2022
Ensure hiring managers are impressed with your administrative assistant resume by adding the right hard and soft skills. Check out our administrative assistant skills list and examples for help getting started.
Administrative assistants play an important role in every major company by doing the technical and managerial work that keeps the organization functioning daily.
But, to succeed in this fast-paced role, youll need a variety of specific hard and soft skills.
Below weve included a list of over ten excellent administrative assistant hard and soft skills that hiring managers will expect to see on your resume to know youve got what it takes to excel at the job.
Recommended Reading: How To Put A Minor On A Resume
How To Use References To Make The Best Administrative Assistant Resume
So many of the critical skills for an administrative assistant are subjective. Do you take directions well? Are you independently minded and self reliant? References can be a good way to demonstrate that you actually have the qualities an employer is looking for.
To make them more effective, try mentioning the skills a particular reference can vouch for. For example, Alex Karlson was my manager at Fairfax Logistics and can vouch for my ability to take directions and work independently.
Example Of A Good Header / Example Of A Bad Header For Administrative Assistant
- Start the resume with your name. Not with the position you hold
- Use an appropriate email address. However, do not use your current office email
- Your residential address is not necessary for the resume header
- Consider putting the link to your LinkedIn account so that they can search further about you. Make sure you keep LinkedIn updated
- If you maintain a career blog, you may link that
Also Check: How To Add Ccna To Resume
Write Compelling Bullet Points Full Of Details And Numbers
Because administrative assistants play a vital role in the daily functions of most offices, you might assume that everyone knows what you do. But you still have to be specific. So rather than writing general bullet points and expecting recruiters to know what they mean, take this opportunity to tell a story about your unique experiences. Ill give you an example.
Say you were responsible for ordering lunch at your last job. You could write a vague bullet point like ordered lunch for the office or you could really spell it out by saying something like coordinated daily lunch orders for 15-person office while accommodating dietary restrictions and staying within $3K monthly budget. Both bullet points describe the exact same job duty, but the latter paints a vivid picture using specific details and numbers. Plus, its way more interesting to read!
You can fill your resume with compelling bullet points using this simple formula:
- Action verb + job duty + corresponding detail, metric, or outcome
Quantifying your experience by using numbers, metrics, or percentages to describe your job duties or accomplishments wherever possible is a great way to jazz up your bullet points. Feeling stuck? It might be helpful to keep these questions in mind as you write:
- How many people were impacted?
- Did I finish this on time or within budget?
- Did I save the company time, money, or hassle?
- How often did I perform this task?
Common Key Skills And Action Verbs For Administrative Assistant Resumes
To be a competitive candidate, its important to highlight the main skills and responsibilities of administrative assistants in your resume. Most companies use applicant tracking systems, or ATS software, to scan resumes for keywords to determine who to interview. As such, the more keywords you have in your resume, the likelier you are to be selected to move forward in the process. These kinds of skills and proficiencies can be a valuable addition to your application.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Microsoft Office, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word|
|Organization and filing|
Read Also: What Is The Best Font To Use For A Resume
Related Administrative Assistant Job Description Posts
Legal Administrative Assistant Job Description Example Legal administrative assistants work in law firms where they perform various duties.Their responsibilities may including providing support to attorneys by helpingwith research and organizing meetings with clients. Read more.
Accounting Administrative Assistant Job Description ExampleThe job description of most accounting administrative assistants entails assistingmanagement in handling accounting and administrative duties.They perform accounting and communication tasks, as well as organizing office activities daily. Read more.
Medical Administrative Assistant Job Description ExampleMedical administrative assistants are important in the healthcare sector for the deliveringof efficient service to patients and their families. Their job description usually includes making transcription of treatment notes, processing insurance forms, and updating patients medical history. Read more.
Administrative Assistant to Executives Job Description ExampleIndividuals working as administrative assistants to executives are usually involvedin high volume projects that require utmost confidentiality and speed. Their job description entails making sure company operations run smoothly. Read more.
Formatting An Administrative Assistant Resume
- Contact information
Q: What skills should a person have to be a good administrative assistant?
An administrative assistant should be able to adapt to a constantly shifting workload. This requires plenty of hard and soft skills that should add to your resume.
Closely review the job description for specific phrases relating to skills and requirements these are keywords that you should look to add to your resume . Many applications are first run through an applicant tracking system that picks out these keywords before they ever get in front of a hiring manager. You can increase your chances of being noticed by the right people if you take the time to update your summary, work history and skills sections accordingly.
Q: Do I need to write a cover lDo I need to write a cover letter?etter?
Cover letters are essential for job applications these days. Your cover letter can go more in-depth into the experience and skills you list on your resume and explain why you are a good fit for the role. Though some companies will note that a cover letter is optional, its still a good idea to include one anyway. This will make you stand out from other candidates who didnt bother to write one.
Q: What resume format is best for an administrative assistant application?
Don’t Miss: How To Put An Award On Your Resume
Write A Strong Resume Objective
The resume objective is designed to give hiring managers a reason to continue reading your resume. The candidate in the sample above has succeeded with her resume objective, for these reasons:
- She describes how long shes been an administrative assistant, and the main duties she performed
- She lists her degree, and her expertise in relevant software
- She tells the hiring manager which role she wants to fill, and why shes a good choice
Essentially, shes made a concise argument for why shed be a great candidate for the job. This helps grab the attention of employers and convinces them to read more about your qualifications.
In the next section, we explain how to make your resumes bullet points impactful.
Cate Business Office Administrative Assistantresume Examples & Samples
- Prior experience as an Administrative Assistant required
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity and professionalism
- Professional presence and ability to engage with internal and external constituents
- Other Administrative Duties and Projects as needed
- Conference Room setup food delivery, AV setup, facilities liaison
- Conference Room scheduling
- Meeting management
- Special event support
- Ability and desire to work as part of a team
- Exceptional organization and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks based on urgency
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook
Recommended Reading: How To Write About Your Skills In A Resume
How To Write An Administrative Assistant Resume
If you want to get employed fast, you need to have the best administrative assistant resume! To help you take your job search to the next level, we have prepared a step-by-step guide on how to craft a flawless sample resume for administrative assistants:
Pro Tip: If you are still not sure how to write a resume, donât hesitate to ask our career advice expert for help. At SkillHub, anyone can get professional help with resume writing and rest assured of the best result.
Add Contact Info To Your Resume
One element invariably included in all resumes examples for administrative assistant is a contact info section. In order to recruit you, employers and hiring managers will need to have your relevant and accurate contact details.
Thatâs clear. But how to include contact info in your administrative assistant resume? Here are a few handy tips:
- Place it close to the top of the page.
- Add a full name, phone number, and email address.
- Make sure your email address looks professional.
- Add your physical address.
- Include relevant links
- Carefully check the data for accuracy.
Read Also: What To Title Resume File
User Program Office Administrative Assistantresume Examples & Samples
- Minimum of six years of specialized administrative experience
- Conversant in MS Office and computer-related databases and application tracking software , as well as web-based relational databases
- Collaborative and team-oriented approach to work – demonstrated ability to define, establish and maintain positive working relationships Ability to apply initiative, exercise sound judgment and be solutions-oriented
- Excellent problem-solving skills and analytical capability
- Ability to provide excellent administrative support using a proactive, customer-focused approach
- Effective communication skills in a variety of settings that promote success of the User Office and the User programs
- Experience providing logistical/administrative support for large conferences, meetings, and reviews
- Experience in working in an academic research setting and/or other laboratory or user facility
- Familiarity with visualization software
- Prior experience in establishing and documenting workplace policies, procedures, and practices in administrative areas of responsibility is desirable
Office Administrative Assistantresume Examples & Samples
- Operates office equipment such as printers, copy machines, fax machines. Serves as liaison with service and vendor personnel
- Receives mail or correspondence for the work unit or area. Opens or reviews correspondence and determines proper disposition
- Maintains office supplies and inventories. Tracks status, orders, purchases, and maintains or distributes supplies as needed. Works with building management to maintain office efficiency and functionality
- Coordinates, organizes, and supports general manager function. Schedules or obtains use of conference rooms, sets up rooms and equipment for use
- Interpersonal Skillsthe individual maintains confidentiality, remains open to others ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things
- Oral communicationthe individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates group presentation skills and conducts meetings
- Quality controlthe individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality
- Adaptabilitythe individual adapts to changes in the work environment
- Dependabilitythe individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance
- Safety and securitythe individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly
You May Like: How To Make Resume Stand Out
Administrative Assistant Duties And Responsibilities
While each industry may have specific functions for their Administrative Assistant, here is a summary of duties that cover their general scope of work:
- Phone Handling
I founded ResumeOK in 2011 to help people increase their chances of getting a better job. I am a career expert that has reviewed and written thousands of resumes. During my career, I found patterns that make a resume successful. Together with our team, we are sharing insights and knowledge in our resume examples and career articles.Do you have a question or need help? Just contact us here.
Top 25 Examples Of Administrative Assistant Resume Objective Statements
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Resume Template In Word