Project Manager Education Example: A Strong Foundation
What your project manager resume may have in common with many others is the listing of a business degree in the education section, since this can give you a broad understanding of which business levers to pull. But it’s also not unusual for project managers to have an operations background, where higher-level educational qualifications are less significant.
While your track record of relevant employment experience normally takes precedence, a mix of education and training will still be considered if several job candidates have similar qualifications. The same goes for on-the-job training. If you have quite a few courses or other project management qualifications to list in the education section, be sure to include dates. This readily shows a track record of consistent learning. Your project manager resume should reflect your continuing intentions to keep learning and growing
Below is the education section from a project manager resume example..
Highlight Your It Project Manager Resume Skills
If you already have experience in IT, you may think landing a high-paying job as an IT project manager is easy. But employers are looking for more than just technical IT experience.
As well as specific IT skills, employers desire project management skills. Competitive candidates showcase a mastery of both technical IT knowledge and leadership skills.
You should always customize your resume to the specific project listed in the job opening. However, certain desired skills are in demand across IT project management listings. Include some of these IT project manager resume skills to impress employers:
- Web development software
- Cloud database management
Showcase a mix of project management skills and technical IT expertise for an effective IT project manager resume skills section.
Project Manager Career Overview
The job outlook for Project Managers is growing anywhere from 6% to 12% per year, depending on the industry. In 2018 there were 934,400 jobs available.
Project Managers make $67,280 per year on average. However, salaries could be as high as $154,260 per year depending on experience, certifications, industry, and degrees.
Top Paying Salaries by State
The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesnât keep track of Project Managers, but lists them under âManagement Analysts.â Data for this occupation is listed below.
- $112,280 — New York
Don’t Miss: What Should Be On A Cover Letter For A Resume
Project Manager Enterprise Risk Managementresume Examples & Samples
- Project Integration Management Ability to ensure that the various elements of the project are properly coordinated. It involves making trade-offs among competing objectives and alternatives to meet or exceed stakeholder needs and expectations
- Project Scope Management – Ability to ensure that the project includes all the work required, and only the work required, to complete the project successfully. It is primarily concerned with defining and controlling what is or is not included in the project
- Problem solving & decision making Takes action and responsibility for solving problems and making decision. Uses effective problem solving methodology to achieve required outcomes
- Have the ability to be a forward thinker who is able to manage complexity and ambiguity. Builds and maintains strong business and industry understanding. Able to develop growth plans for the business and or function and be anticipating future needs
- Results oriented Demonstrates commitment to seeing the organisation succeed by taking responsibility and steadfastly striving to achieve exceptional results
- ~ 7 years’ experience in project management
- Experience in interacting with executive & senior management
- The successful candidate will hold a Tertiary qualifications or equivalent in project management
Risk Management Project Managerresume Examples & Samples
- Knowledge of project management, excellent consultative skills, strong analytical ability and ability to work with multiple partners in cross functional groups at various levels throughout the organization
- Knowledge of CCAR related project management is a plus
- Ability to drive consensus among multiple groups
- Excellent organization skills to track many concurrent activities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and assess relative priority among competing issues
- Tendency to be self- motivated
- Bachelors Degree in Business and/or equivalent work experience to include 8-10 years of project management experience. PMP a plus
- Risk management/regulatory change experience
Also Check: How Do You Spell Resume
Finalizing Your Project Manager Resume
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Building a project manager resume can feel like a daunting task, but the hardest part is getting started you can always start with a basic resume outline.
Check out our free resume templates or choose a simple resume template we created in Google Docs follow the rules in this guide, and you’ll be well on your way towards landing your next role as a project manager. Here’s a quick summary of our resume tips:
- Only include skills you’d be comfortable being interviewed on in your resume. Have these skills in your “skills” section and in the context of your work experience.
- Make sure your resume objective or resume summary adds value to your candidacy. Avoid vague or generic statements.
- When discussing your work experience, highlight the details of one to two major projects you worked on instead of focusing on one-off tasks you completed.
- Be sure to include your highest level of education and any certifications you have in your resume objective or summary.
Project Manager Sell Side Order Managementresume Examples & Samples
- A minimum of 10 years Project Management experience is necessary
- A track record in managing large scale projects resulting in the transformation/integration of sell side order management groups in order to maximise efficiency
- Proven leader in the delivery of innovative enterprise solutions in sell-side financial technology
- Strong understanding of system architecture for fixed income technology equity experience would be advantageous
- Front and Middle Office Fixed income expertise
- Excellent management of risks, dependencies and status throughout the organization, ensuring accurate and timely communication
- Administer change management process and governance of large scale projects
- Must have a collaborative and participative work ethic and ability to work with individuals across financial products and R& D
- Ability to influence multiple constituents without direct authority
- Must be equipped to make decisions independently with limited information
- Exhibit a consultative approach
Recommended Reading: How To Put A Temp Job On A Resume
Product Lifecycle Management Project Managerresume Examples & Samples
- Provide appropriate leadership, coordination and facilitation to ensure PLM end users successfully understand and adopt new solution
- 7+ years of Hi-Tech Product Management or PLM experience in an operational or consulting role
- 7+ years of Project Management experience preferably in an NPI, Product Engineering or Product Management environment
- Strong knowledge of PLM business processes, concepts and systems
- Must be hands on with deliverables and day to day work tasks
- Strong delivery focus able to deliver against timeline and achieve results
- Can-do mindset. Flexible, positive thinker that can find the way to get things down in a complex, dynamic and fast moving environment
- Change Management knowledge a plus
- PMP or other PM Certification preferred
- Experience in the High Tech industry is desirable
Software Asset Management Project Managerresume Examples & Samples
- Minimum 7 years of experience in supporting and managing Software Asset or IT Asset Management programs in large-scale technology data center environments, with a specific concentration in Software Licensing
- Exceptional flexibility in managing shifting priorities, changes in strategic direction, and competing demands, while balancing internal customer needs and team requirements
- This role requires a self-motivated, innovative thinker with strong problem solving, interpersonal, and team building skills with an ability to work with diverse stakeholders and influence/drive change across functional and business boundaries
- Outstanding project management, leadership, planning, and organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
Read Also: What Should My Objective Be On My Resume
Project Manager Resume Skills And Keywords
Most recruitment offices and HHRR departments use applicant tracking systems to find the perfect fit. You might be wondering, What does an ATS do? It works like a search engine that responds to the resume keywords. So when youre perfecting and personalizing your project manager resume, make sure to include the resume skills you know recruiters are on the hunt for.
The first step to building your best resume yet is identifying your strengths and using your project manager skills in your favor. If youre still unsure which skills companies are looking for in a project manager candidate, check out this list.
Project Manager Customer Project Managementresume Examples & Samples
- Identify and manage all milestones and interdependencies to deliver on the Business and Project/Program objectives and targets
- Collaborate with the Project Sponsors, fellow Project Managers and other stakeholders to prepare applicable project documentation, to manage the end-to-end life cycle of the project
- Identify obstacles/conflicts and evaluate, recommend and implement workable solutions. Escalate issues to the appropriate levels within the organization to mitigate risks and keep schedules on track
- Provide Management with concise and timely Project/Program reporting on implementation progress, issues, risks and containment plans
- Develop and conduct presentations to various levels of Management as required
- Provide Project Status Reports and Financial updates on Projects/Programs being managed and collaborate with other fellow PMs on reporting requirements
- Post-Secondary degree in Engineering or other related technical discipline or equivalent combination of education or experience
- Minimum 5 years of project management experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the telecommunication industry
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Experience working with Sales Representatives and Enterprise Customers
- Conflict management, negotiation and influencing skills
- Bilingual English and French is a requisite
Recommended Reading: How Do You Write Mba On A Resume
Project Manager Job Description Examples
Notice how shallow the example above is.Although it shows some of the tasks you handle, it doesnt highlight any of the results. It also includes basic job duties that any candidate can copy from resumes online.That keeps you away from getting hired.Think about it this way:If a recruiter is willing to cut you some slack, they may think that youre lazy. Theyll assume that you didnt invest much in creating your resume.But it could be worse.The responsibilities listed above dont show achievements and skills. And that makes you look unqualified.This is not how youll get hired.Well show you a better example of how you can improve your experience section.Lets make some simple tweaks.
The second example shows enough details about your past work.It demonstrates more metrics and examples, which enhances trust and shows credibility. That makes you look like a professional project manager who contributed a lot to the company.Heres how you can do in your PMP resume:
- Use direct action verbs to highlight the work you achieved as a project manager.
- Feature relevant, strong project manager skills that are most required in the job application.
- Include precise numbers and business results to showcase the value you provided.
What About Your Project Manager Role
The nature of a project manager’s work varies greatly, depending on the industry and functional area. But there are some common aspects. How you go about managing your projects and the attitude you bring to each one are uniquely yours. And in every instance, the impact on those around you is huge.
So what elements of your project manager role should your resume include? Here are some ideas.
A project manager resume has to cover all of these aspects of the role and many more. But first, to make any of it matter, you need to make sure that the hiring manager will actually receive and read your resume at all. So let’s look at how ATS softwareworks and how your resume can pass through this digital screening tool.
Also Check: How Many Years Work Experience On Resume
Residential Construction Project Manager Resume
Use this template
Why this resume works
- Resumes should provide a favorable impression of you to a prospective employer. Few resumes actually accomplish this because people seeking construction management positions are qualified in their fieldnot in building resumes!
- Using a tool like our free resume checker will allow you to take advantage of professional templates, formats, and tools that assist with active language, metrics, and more.
Related Resume Guides
Put Your Project Management Skills On Display
You may be asking yourself: how else can you impress the hiring managers, or what else could you possibly include into your resume during a job hunt? The answer is simple the skills section.
Being able to list down key skills on a resume can be the difference in getting that dream job you always wanted. Recruiters pay close attention to hard skills as well as soft skills and other project management skills.
The skills section gives you the ability to showcase 5-8 of your relevant skills, both hard and soft skills, just in case they werent mentioned in the other sections.
This part of your cover letter helps boost the effectiveness of the application by providing more information about your skill base.
Here is a list of common skills, including soft skills, for a program management professional that you can include in your resume:
- Negotiation skills
Also Check: How To Provide A Link To A Resume
Project Management Experience On Resume: How To Make This Section Work Every Time
To get hired, you must prove that youre the best project manager the company can recruit. But you can only do that by making the evaluation process easy for them.But to do that, you must first craft an outstanding experience section for your project manager resume. It must be filled with details about successful projects and achievements.At the same time, it should also show you can:
- Gain insight into business needs and develop practical solutions to meet them
- Ensure effective project planning, including budgets, execution, and delivery time
- Develop project communication plans between company departments and ensure their execution
- Manage internal teams across different departments and collaborate with managers within the company
Resume Templates And Samples
The first thing many people need when creating their best resume is a template or resume sample to get started! Look no further, The Digital Project Manager is here to help.
There are tons of helpful resume-creation tools on the internet, here are a few of my favorites for Digital Project Managers!
- Check out this to help you get started on your own resume! If youre extra nosy, you can even look at my resume as a real-life example of a 2-page, senior management-level resume.
Also Check: How To List Freelance Work On Resume
Project Management Resume Summary: Sharing Enough Info To Get Shortlisted
Not sure what the utility of a summary in a resume is?Your resume is a new project you’re going to manage.It starts with an inventory of your skills and resources.Then, you set an attainable goal to work on within a specific timeframe.Your project management resume summary helps you tell that story to your recruiter.So, how do you go from having separate sentences to writing an outstanding resume summary?What hiring managers want to learn is:
- Years of experience as a project manager at different companies
- Most successful projects you worked on
- Strongest project management skills that allowed you to thrive in your past jobs
- Best results and accomplishments you achieved in your career
- Types of projects you were responsible for their implementation
To take this a step further, youll:
- Include precise metrics to support your claims.
- Use short, direct sentences to keep HRs interested.
- Personalize it by including specific project management keywords, skills, and achievements.
- Promote a unique value proposition after reading the job application.
Lets take a look at some project management resume summaries:
This barely scratches the surface as to who the candidate is and what theyre up to. Instead, it makes them look too uninterested and lazy to update their resume.Lets make this better with a few simple changes.
Entry Level Construction Project Manager Resume
Use this template
Why this resume works
- Your entry-level construction project manager resume should reflect experiences that focus on keywords for the management role.
- Yes, this is possible even with little experience! Obviously, having internship experience in project management is helpful, but even if you don’t, it’s possible to demonstrate you’re the right candidate for the job.
- For example, if the position you’re hoping to land is seeking someone who can manage teams or analyze trends, use your work experience bullet points to showcase how you’ve led others to complete an assignment or how you’ve advised management to adopt certain equipment based on current trends.
Don’t Miss: How To Build A Good Resume
Project Manager Wholesale Loan Operations Integration Management Chicagoresume Examples & Samples
- Manage complex, cross business regulatory and control projects, with primary focus initially being on the Flood Insurance Compliance Projects
- Communicate with management regarding project progress and recommendations/decisions develop effective presentations and project update materials suitable for senior executives
- Minimum of 5 years of program and project management experience required
- Proficiency with project management methodology and the project management lifecycle
- Strong team-orientation, leadership skills and proven ability to develop strong client relationships
- Proficient with Microsoft Project, PowerPoint and Excel